|  Printable Version
By: IrishEyes (offline) on Tuesday, June 06 2017 @ 02:16 PM EDT  
IrishEyes

From DR Greene .click for bigger
Click on image to download
And from Kim Watson at 9:36a

12:18pm'
Louis is on the nest.No food. Iris is chittering at him and brooding the chick and incubating the eggs

Helpful Hints Be respectful ..Bev !

Forum

Nova Scotia,Canada.

Profile     PM

By: IrishEyes (offline) on Tuesday, June 06 2017 @ 02:30 PM EDT  
IrishEyes

From FB with thanks to Dr Greene
Hi all,
We never said it was going to be easy!! The osprey roller-coaster continues this morning.
It seems that the oldest of the two chicks crawled out from underneath Iris in the middle of the night. It wandered over to the right hand side of the nest near the edge. The chicks can't thermoregulate on their own yet, and it was quite chilly last night. It has not moved for quite a while, and I suspect it died pretty quickly by losing heat.
In all the years we have watched chicks at this nest we have never seen this before. This chick seemed extremely energetic and vigorous, but we have no idea what prompted it to leave the warm comfort of Iris and wander away. As hard as this news is, perhaps a consolation is that it was unlikely that all four chicks (if the other two eggs hatch) would have survived to fledge.
This also emphasizes again how difficult it is to survive and become a breeding adult osprey. Breeding pairs, like Iris and Louis, are extremely valuable. For an osprey population to remain stable over time, a breeding pair only has to replace themselves with two chicks that survive to breed themselves. We estimate that Iris and her mates have produced at least 8-10 individuals who are now breeding. So overall, Iris has been a net producer and helped keep osprey populations at good levels around here.
I said a couple of days ago that what we are watching is not a movie that always has a happy ending. What this camera allows us to experience first hand are the challenges that wild animals face every single day.
Cheers, Erick Greene

Forum

Nova Scotia,Canada.

Profile     PM

By: Woodlands Bleu (offline) on Tuesday, June 06 2017 @ 02:38 PM EDT  
Woodlands Bleu

12:35 pm

Thanks Bev for those explanations from Dr. Greene......the fact that it was highly unlikely she could raise all 4 is semi helping for the mind. I hope she gets two chicks and Louis can get fish and if more than 2 it's a bonus, if there is fish. Oh my, what a convoluted sentence and thought! Translated.....hoping for the best that can be.
carolyn

Choose joy.......
Since Sept 2009.
carolyn

Forum

The Woodlands, TX

Profile     PM

By: Bluebird1 (offline) on Tuesday, June 06 2017 @ 02:47 PM EDT  
Bluebird1

Great news gang! Fish

Louis flew in shortly after your posts and Iris and the chick received the last of a large fish he had caught - hopefully there will be more shortly as there was not much left and chicks of this size need regular feedings.
That being said it was a huge relief to see the fish and Iris had some as well as feeding #2.

It is sad news regarding the first-born, really tough to see but with two more hatchlings to come this week Louis will have plenty to do.

J D

Calgary

Forum

Calgary, AB

Profile Email   PM

By: IrishEyes (offline) on Tuesday, June 06 2017 @ 02:53 PM EDT  
IrishEyes

You are welcome Carolyn and thanks for your obs.

12:45pm
Louis is gone .I pray he finds a fish ... Iris is brooding and incubating

I read on the cam chat they think it was the oldest chick that died Cry

Two Tweets

Forum

Nova Scotia,Canada.

Profile     PM

By: Bluebird1 (offline) on Tuesday, June 06 2017 @ 03:34 PM EDT  
Bluebird1

I guess that you missed my post Bev, the back half of a fish came in for Iris and the chick. Thanks Louis!

1:30 pm Iris is off the eggs and chick again and the chick is still sleeping off his meal with attention paid to the eggs now as one is expected to hatch and day.

Windy as usual as Iris works on her egg cup and I am out again. Byebye

J D

Calgary

Forum

Calgary, AB

Profile Email   PM

By: IrishEyes (offline) on Tuesday, June 06 2017 @ 03:39 PM EDT  
IrishEyes

Quote by: Bluebird1

I guess that you missed my post Bev, the back half of a fish came in for Iris and the chick. Thanks Louis!

1:30 pm Iris is off the eggs and chick again and the chick is still sleeping off his meal with attention paid to the eggs now as one is expected to hatch and day.

Windy as usual as Iris works on her egg cup and I am out again. Byebye

I am sorry JD .Idid very embarrassedthat is great news !

From roll back
Iris feeding the hungry chick Louis on watch

Forum

Nova Scotia,Canada.

Profile     PM

By: Woodlands Bleu (offline) on Tuesday, June 06 2017 @ 05:13 PM EDT  
Woodlands Bleu

3:12 pm

Louis came in with an entire fish for Iris and the chick 40 minutes ago. Yeah! This should help.

I love seeing things posted more than once JD and Bev....it sure makes this site colorful, wonderful and full of great information. Smile
carolyn

They did say that the positive aspect of chick #1 passing is better chance of the others making it (probably from sibling rivalry). Yes, it's sad.

Choose joy.......
Since Sept 2009.
carolyn

Forum

The Woodlands, TX

Profile     PM

All times are EST. The time is now 09:00 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate