Forum Index > Eagle Nests Across North America - and the World > Other North American Nests with Ground Observers
 Seattle Nest
 |  Printable Version
By: Anonymous: melanie () on Sunday, April 25 2010 @ 08:02 PM EDT (Read 4758 times)  
Anonymous: melanie

Click on image to download I have been observing this pair for five years now. It is located in Seattle Washington. The nest was previously located about a hundred yards south of where it is now and was moved in the winter of 08-09. I have not yet seen a successful fledge from this pair. Last spring there were two chicks. One was smaller and wasn't seen much and the other fell from the nest at about two months. This year we think they laid eggs around March 12. 35 days would have been April 16 but we noticed behavior changes and food coming to the nest on April 14. They are still actively nesting and we are hopeful that in a few weeks we will see that little baby head over the top of the nest. There isn't much to see right now so I will be filling in with pictures from this spring and maybe a couple of last springs chick.
This photo was taken in the morning on Marach 19. This tree "rodeo" is located about 100 feet north of the nest and is a favorite perch.

By: Anonymous: melanie () on Sunday, April 25 2010 @ 08:47 PM EDT  

Click on image to downloadClick on image to downloadClick on image to download
These were taken on March 10 during the last few days of nest preparation. This is dad, his name is Croc. He came flying in very low with a branch in his talons, must have dropped it and landed in this tree to gather some more.He got the sticks and took off almost straight up to the nest. at the bottom of the nest tree there are many branches that have been dropped. When you look at the photos of the nest and see how many hundreds of branches it takes to build you can just imagine how many they have to gather since so many are dropped or get snagged in the branches of the tree while flying in. mom's name is Gabrielle.

By: PacNorWest (offline) on Sunday, April 25 2010 @ 10:06 PM EDT  
PacNorWest

Hi Melanie wave

Congratulations on your new thread and Welcome to the HW forum.Left thumb up
I look forward to reading your reports and viewing your photos !!

Great pictures of Croc with the nesting material.Clapping

Doug
Bellingham, Washington

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Anonymous: melanie () on Sunday, April 25 2010 @ 10:38 PM EDT  

Full name, Croc Daddy.

By: JudyB (offline) on Monday, April 26 2010 @ 06:39 AM EDT  
JudyB

Beautiful pictures, melanie! It is a shame that they have not had a successful fledge yet - I'll keep my fingers crossed that this will be their year.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: HikerBikerGram (offline) on Monday, April 26 2010 @ 08:51 AM EDT  
HikerBikerGram

Welcome Hi Melanie, I love the photos of Croc Daddy, he is really checking you out in the one photo.
I hope that Gabrielle and Croc is successful this year with their young. Great to have you aboard and I will be watching for more photos and updates.wave

Wildlife Photography, Nature Provides It And We Pass It On

Linda/HikerBikerGram

Forum

Maryville, Il USA

Profile Email   PM

By: edkeagle (offline) on Tuesday, April 27 2010 @ 08:34 PM EDT  
edkeagle

Hi Melanie:

Youíre posting some great photos, and Iím glad to see eagles in Seattle. I grew up in Everett and went to UW, and there were no eagles around, but this was many, many years ago. I read the Times online and have been following the eagles attacking herons problem in the Seattle area. You donít need to tell me the exact location, but can you tell me what area or neighborhood from where you are monitoring the nest. Also, have you ever seen any eagles at the Ballard Locks? I look forward to more of your great photos from Seattle.

First you must follow before you lead.

--Ed K.
Blaine, Washington

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Anonymous: melanie () on Thursday, April 29 2010 @ 08:05 PM EDT  

Hello Ed, the nest is located in West Seattle near the Vashon ferry route. It's been very quiet this week. That combined with bad weather and white skies there hasn't been much photo op. They are still taking care of something up there. I will post some photos from earlier this spring and last years chick.

All times are EDT. The time is now 01:14 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate