Forum Index > Formerly Live Cams Now Offline > Delta O.W.L., BC Bald Eagle Nest
 O.W.L. Rehabilitation Society
 |  Printable Version
By: cockatiel (offline) on Wednesday, March 24 2010 @ 07:57 PM EDT  
cockatiel

wave

Jewill, thanks so much for posting Bev's interview. I've sort of lost track of the O.W.L. forum since we changed formats, so I'm glad I stopped by today. Smile

Candy

Milwaukee, WI

Clouds may bring rain, but the sun DOES shine again.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: jewill (offline) on Wednesday, March 24 2010 @ 10:33 PM EDT  
jewill

Hi Everyone!
I was glad to be able to locate the link to the video of BT's day at OWL and share it with everyone. I've been looking for Shaw's interview with Bev and Ralph and it doesn't look like it is posted on their site. It's too bad since it was a really interesting show, 30 minutes (with no commercials) of just the host talking with Bev and Ralph about OWL.
I too lost track of the forum lately. I went back in to my "lurking" mode when the site changed, having managed to re-register only a few days ago. Now that Bandit Mania has subsided and it looks like the Delta Owl nest is a write-off for this year I don't know if anyone is still interested in hearing about the activities at OWL :dunno:. I would be more than willing to post every once in a while if the interest is there, and maybe we can get Ellen on board too, so let me know.
I was there today for my normal Wednesday shift. The Delta OWL nest is surely looking sad; almost completely collapsed. I did not see either Ma or Pa today, but that's unusual since I almost always see both of them hanging out in the nest tree, usually right at the top, out of camera range. As for OWL, nothing too out of the ordinary to talk about - I looked after the Front Education birds who are all enjoying the Spring weather. Love is in the air at OWL, in particular with the Snowy Owls, the Great Horned Owls and the Goshawks; maybe even the Eagles too. While OWL does not have a license to breed the birds if it occurs naturally the parents will be taken to the back and allowed to raise their young in private and, when ready, the young will be released.
We are getting ready for the Open House on Sat/Sun, April 17th and 18th from 10 to 3 both days. These are the only 2 days of the year when the entire facility is open to the public. There will be various other Wildlife Rescue groups with displays and we try to have a bird (usually a juvenile bald eagle) released each day. Volunteers will be walking around with the education birds on the glove so you can get a really good up-close look and/or photo of them (sorry, you can't touch them). If any locals can make it out please be sure to introduce yourself. I will be there on Sunday - I don't know what I'll be doing yet but I will definitely be there.
So I'm off to check on the Sidney pair since that's where I'll be getting my eagle fix this year. It's good that she's only had 2 - it will be much easier on the nerves for everyone I think.

Judy W.
Surrey, BC, Canada
(Photo used with permission)

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: MaryF (offline) on Wednesday, March 24 2010 @ 11:48 PM EDT  
MaryF

Oh jewill...I think all of is here on the forum are ALWAYS interested in what's going on at O.W.L. We would love for you to post whenever you get a chance about what's going on there! We are all raptor/bird of prey lovers and love to here about them any time. It might even be good for donations for an occaisional post to appear here...maybe?? Anyway....if any of you get a free moment we would love to hear O.W.L. stories!!!! WubloveWub

AKA purpleagle

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

By: stim (offline) on Thursday, March 25 2010 @ 11:43 AM EDT  
stim

Judy, thank you for posting and please, yes, continue to do so. It's especially good to hear reports of our OWL nest adults. Hopefully they aren't incubating any eggs this year!
I'm hoping to get to the open house, likely on the Sunday so if I do, I'll look for you. Very interested in seeing OWL live and for real! LOL My sister and I also hope to get a few items for the yard sale delivered soon.
Sandra

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Anonymous: Bluee () on Thursday, March 25 2010 @ 06:41 PM EDT  
Anonymous: Bluee

I keep checking for update on OWL and was very happy to see one. Thank you! I did notice the nice clean pool in the flight cage. Nodding yes Thank You

By: Anonymous: JudiMN () on Thursday, March 25 2010 @ 10:03 PM EDT  
Anonymous: JudiMN

Hi Jewell: I appreciate the OWL updates too.

also, if you notice what the OWL Delta pair are up to or what Bandit's parents may be up to, I'd love to hear that also.

I hope the open house goes well. The folks a OWL are the best!

By: jewill (offline) on Sunday, March 28 2010 @ 11:00 PM EDT  
jewill

Hi Everyone!
I was at OWL all day today and when I arrived just before 9 am I saw both Ma and Pa Delta perched at the top of the nest tree. There are lots of eagles in the area right now; mainly juvies since most adults are busy with nesting duties.
I got to look after the 6 eagles (2 adults and 4 juvies) in Field Flights today because Ellen has decided to take a couple of weeks off. It was pouring rain for most of the morning, making the grounds resemble a mud hole. I admit that I am a little (OK, a lot) obsessive about ensuring both the water bowls and pools are sparkling clean because these guys do not have the choice of moving on to another water source if they donít like what they have. So I cleaned out all 3 pools, in the rain, by myself. By the time I was finished I looked like some kind of swamp monster Ė soaking wet from head to toe and liberally coated in mud. Unfortunately that was when Stim and her sister showed up with a donation for the garage sale. Sorry about that Stim Ė I donít normally look that bad. Hope you found the Delta OWL nest and Banditís old nest since both are a little difficult to see. I havenít been by Banditís old home for about a month now and at that time there was no sign of any activity on the nest. I hope it has remained that way and the pair has relocated to a more suitable tree.
Rob (the bird care supervisor) has a picture on his desk of himself and Sonsie that I wish you could all see. He is kissing Sonsie on the beak! Now aside from the obvious (that Rob needs to get out more) itís a remarkable photo. Imagine having your face that close to the beak of a bald eagle Ė now thatís trust. I doubt that many people can claim to have kissed one.
When I left at 3:30 there was only Ma in the tree - no sign of Pa, although Iím sure he wasnít too far off. Itís supposed to be a stormy night so I hope that everyone has tucked themselves in.
Thatís itÖuntil next timeÖGood night

Judy W.
Surrey, BC, Canada
(Photo used with permission)

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Sunday, March 28 2010 @ 11:13 PM EDT  
JudyB

Thanks so much for your report, jewill! Glad to hear that you saw Mom and Dad - it would obviously be nice to see them on cam, but knowing they're OK is the main thing.

And I'm sure the eagles appreciated all your work - I could tell when I visited O.W.L. that the folks there take good care of the guests! Thank you. love

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

All times are EST. The time is now 09:34 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate