Forum Index > Other Birds and Wildlife > Other Wildlife
 Backyard Critters
 |  Printable Version
By: queenie (offline) on Monday, December 19 2011 @ 01:27 PM EST  
queenie

:hello: Pat & Thx Thank You, the pictures are gr8 on that link you posted & they put so many of the different ages~ I've always gotten help on the Bird ID thread from Stepane, and others like you who are so good on ID. I have a few good bird ID books, and then there is the Internet; but on some birds, you aren't sure {some are so similar, until you know them~we've been lucky to live near a small lake & have a business near a bigger lake, so we do get to see a lot of shore birds & song birds}.
I love getting shots of heron and have seen many blue heron and maybe a green one time in a distant ditch, at Mingo Refuge, Mo ~I didn't get a good shot of. Maybe I will see more of them now :idea: if they are in the area, but like your link showed them just here during summer breeding season {when I saw these, July '11}~& looks like very few in Canada.

http://farm2.staticflickr.com/1066/1271 ... 96e7_z.jpg< Juvenile
Click on image to download

this fact Wooh I read a couple years ago, inspired me look for them, and then 2 came to my own back yard Titter
OutCool Facts

The Green Heron is one of the few tool-using birds. It commonly drops bait onto the surface of the water and grabs the small fish that are attracted. It uses a variety of baits and lures, including crusts of bread, insects, earthworms, twigs, or feathers.

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Gree ... ifehistory

Little Herons use a wide variety of hunting techniques, but usually hunt from cover and rarely forage on the open mudflats.
Often, they perch-and-wait on a branch or root over the water, tucking in their necks and crouching in a low forward position over the water. They may flick their crests up and down as they wait. Little Herons may also jump, plunge or swim after their prey. Or they may use their feet to stir up or rake the surface for titbits. They may even dive into the water.
But more impressively, they may bait fish and other prey, e.g., by dropping a leaf onto the surface. Unlike other herons, Little Herons are not deterred by the rising tide as they are small enough to perch on overhanging branches, though often precariously.
Both adults and young birds have a partial web between the middle and outer toes, which may allow them to swim. Nestlings that fall into the water paddle efficiently to safety. And adult birds paddle back after plunging into water after prey

http://www.naturia.per.sg/buloh/birds/B ... riatus.htm
I remember getting a s'cap of a Green-Backed Heron on the African safari cam thread once~where I have enjoyed your Clappingbeautiful pictures. Very Happy

In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous. ~Aristotle
My Album

Forum

Profile     PM

By: yalitldevl (offline) on Friday, December 23 2011 @ 05:21 PM EST  
yalitldevl

Merry Christmas back to you and your cuties Pat!

how's this for a backyard critter, just about dropped dead seeing this!

I would rather spend my life close to the birds than wishing I had wings

We are by nature observers, and thereby learners. That is our permanent state. ~ Emerson

Forum

On Lake Huron,
Ontario

Profile     PM

By: queenie (offline) on Sunday, December 25 2011 @ 03:42 AM EST  
queenie

Merry Christmas to All Whistling Red Heart
~love your Santas Pat, they wear their hats so well Nodding yes I love, & have always had cats tooRed Heart Wub ~
& Wooh Wow Lori Oh My I bet that it was a surprise, and so pretty :!:~
~eagles for Ed, heron for me & now owls for you~the raptors are coming, the raptors are coming...to a neighborhood near you :pTitter

In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous. ~Aristotle
My Album

Forum

Profile     PM

By: edkeagle (offline) on Wednesday, December 28 2011 @ 01:11 AM EST  
edkeagle

Queenie: Nice to see the green heron stopping by for a drink. Im pretty sure that the eagles I see from our backyard belong to one of the local nests. They seem to frequent that tree from November-January but after that they pretty much stay closer to their nests.

Lori: Wow, what a catch with your snowy owl and a blue sky in the background to boot. Were having a lot of SO sightings in this area but I have yet to see one.

Pat, Hello to Callie and Buttons and a Happy New Year to you.

First you must follow before you lead.

--Ed K.
Blaine, Washington

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: edkeagle (offline) on Wednesday, December 28 2011 @ 01:13 AM EST  
edkeagle

Backyard views, 12-21-11. Eagles making a lot of noise this morning before finally settling down on dead branches atop fir tree. Click to enlarge.

--Ed K.
Blaine, Washington

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: edkeagle (offline) on Wednesday, December 28 2011 @ 01:14 AM EST  
edkeagle

--Ed K.
Blaine, Washington

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: edkeagle (offline) on Wednesday, December 28 2011 @ 01:15 AM EST  
edkeagle

Backyard view, 12-22-11. Same tree as day before but different eagle. Click to enlarge.

--Ed K.
Blaine, Washington

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: sassyk (offline) on Monday, January 02 2012 @ 01:32 AM EST  
sassyk

Ed, wonderful pics of the eagles in your area:thumrht: The juvie looks quite dark; it must be very young.

Lori, wowCheers What a thrill for you to see a Snowy Owl and to get some fantastic pics of it:thumrht:

Pat, I love the pic of your kitties with the Santa hats on.

Queenie, how thrilling for you to see a Little Green Heron in your bird bath.

One touch of nature makes the whole world kin. ~ William Shakespeare

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 12:30 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate