Forum Index > Other Birds and Wildlife > Wildlife on the Trails, in Parks & Natural Areas
 Pacific Northwest Trails and Wildlife
 |  Printable Version
By: edkeagle (offline) on Saturday, March 06 2010 @ 03:23 AM EST  
edkeagle

Brants continued, 3-5-10. The Wings over Blaine birding festival is held every April. Iím sort of stealing their title by calling this next set of photos, Wings over White Rock, B.C., Canada. In the first two photos, the Brants are flying northward toward White Rock, which can be seen in the background of the third photo. Clickables

Click on image to download

First you must follow before you lead.

--Ed K.
Blaine, Washington

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: edkeagle (offline) on Saturday, March 06 2010 @ 03:26 AM EST  
edkeagle

Brants continued, 3-5-10. Brants over Semiahmoo Bay just before sunset. Clickables

--Ed K.
Blaine, Washington

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: edkeagle (offline) on Saturday, March 06 2010 @ 03:36 AM EST  
edkeagle

Semiahmoo Spit County Park, 3-5-10. This final set of photos was taken about a half-mile north of the previous photos of the Brants. Again, I was hoping for an eagle in the sunset, but this time I had to settle for seagulls. The view is looking westward toward Canadaís Gulf Islands. Photos 2 and 3 are clickable.

--Ed K.
Blaine, Washington

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: PacNorWest (offline) on Saturday, March 06 2010 @ 09:06 PM EST  
PacNorWest

Hi Ed, Fir Island was fun. I think you are describing Rawlins Road. Yes, I went to the end and parked. I was short of time because I had spent so much time at the Edison flats on the way down, so I didn't go all the way out to the Bay this time. I have on other occasions. Next time I want to check out the "Big Ditch" access area by Fir Island. I understand there are some trails over there. Are you familiar with those?

Great photos of the Brandts !! Cheers, Doug

Doug
Bellingham, Washington

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: sunshinecoast (offline) on Saturday, March 06 2010 @ 09:54 PM EST  
sunshinecoast

I have enjoyed looking at your pictures PacNorWest and edkeagle especially the snow geese. Smile We used to live in Richmond, BC and our house backed onto the dike where we used to see the snow geese, I miss them. We live in Davis Bay in Sechelt and have a wonderful view of Vancouver Island and lots of eagles (I still miss the snow geese though).Sad

wave

Marg Aug22/06

Content Provider
[url=http://www.hancockwildlife.org/forum/viewtopic.php?topic=482309#482309

Forum

Davis Bay, BC

Profile     PM

By: edkeagle (offline) on Saturday, March 06 2010 @ 10:28 PM EST  
edkeagle

Hi Marg and Doug: Itís always fun to observe the snow geese. They always seem to be in motion. I know they donít like eagles, and at Fir Island, they are close to the jets that come in and out of Naval Air Station Whidbey Island. So the geese are always taking off and landing. Doug, I think I might know where the ďBig DitchĒ is located. Is there a little footbridge there that crosses a ditch and then you walk up to the dike? If so, I remember there was a sign that warned a Fish and Wildlife permit was required to park? Iíve also noticed this at the Trumpeter Swan reserve? Have you ever heard of anyone getting a ticket? -- Ed

--Ed K.
Blaine, Washington

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: PacNorWest (offline) on Sunday, March 07 2010 @ 12:18 AM EST  
PacNorWest

Marg, Thanks for the kind words. The snow geese are cool. They seem to have some group consciousness thing going on.

Ed, I'm not sure about the "Big Ditch", but I've heard it mentioned a few times. Next time I'm down there I will find it. I have not heard of anyone getting a ticket for parking in a Fish & Wildlife parking lot. The permits are only $12 / year. They run from April 1 to April 1, so I'm going to wait 3 more weeks and then get one. They work all over the state.

Doug
Bellingham, Washington

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: edkeagle (offline) on Tuesday, March 09 2010 @ 01:13 AM EST  
edkeagle

Brants in Semiahmoo Bay, 3-9-10. The Brants are now out in force feeding in the bay and flying in formation. First photo is taken from the middle of the Semiahmoo Spit, looking north, with White Rock, B.C. visible in the background. This group turned east, flying over Drayton Harbor toward the Cascades. Clickables

--Ed K.
Blaine, Washington

Forum

Profile Email   PM

All times are EST. The time is now 04:30 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate