Forum Index > Formerly Live Cams Now Offline > Sidney BC - Bald Eagle Nests
 Sidney Nest Discussion/scaps/videos 2010/11
 |  Printable Version
By: Anonymous: joeyrabbit () on Sunday, May 15 2011 @ 07:39 PM EDT  
Anonymous: joeyrabbit

Quote by: MalkieBear

I haven't posted since the world went mental over Tiny two years ago.

It's great that there are so many caring and generous folks out there wanting to help Flyer. However, I can't help but think that going to extreme measures to rescue this unfortunate eaglet may go against fundamental principles of HWF and puts the organization in a difficult position in trying to balance true observation/research and bringing in donations to keep the research going. If Flyer is left to die "live on TV", folks might not want to donate to a "heartless" organization. If Flyer can't get loose he/she will die, which sucks, but there are many perils in the life of a wild creature. No one wants to see Flyer starve or succumb to exposure in realtime, horrifying those who have been lighting virtual candles, not to mention the school kids who named him/her, but that is the natural world. Creatures die every day to feed these eaglets. Statistically it's unlikely that any of them will survive their first year. That is life in the wild. I'll watch & hope Flyer gets free, but also I'm going to keep my perspective and not anthropomorphize.

If Flyer has fishing line or some other manmade thing wrapped around his leg, that's not exactly life in the wild. Maybe you should recheck your statistics on surviving the first year...the fact that there are eaglets there invalidates YOUR stats. Grrrrr

By: Anonymous: JulieinOntario () on Sunday, May 15 2011 @ 07:39 PM EDT  
Anonymous: JulieinOntario

It's great that there are so many caring and generous folks out there wanting to help Flyer. However, I can't help but think that going to extreme measures to rescue this unfortunate eaglet may go against fundamental principles of HWF and puts the organization in a difficult position in trying to balance true observation/research and bringing in donations to keep the research going. If Flyer is left to die "live on TV", folks might not want to donate to a "heartless" organization. If Flyer can't get loose he/she will die, which sucks, but there are many perils in the life of a wild creature. No one wants to see Flyer starve or succumb to exposure in realtime, horrifying those who have been lighting virtual candles, not to mention the school kids who named him/her, but that is the natural world. Creatures die every day to feed these eaglets. Statistically it's unlikely that any of them will survive their first year. That is life in the wild. I'll watch & hope Flyer gets free, but also I'm going to keep my perspective and not anthropomorphize.

It would be very unfortunate for Flyer to die but I don't see most people looking at it through your opinion. I'm sure nobody is going to be upset that they donated to a foundation that does more than just try to rescue eaglets such as Flyer. A large amount of viewers have been members for years and have been through good and bad here I'm sure...but they are still here. I'm sure the right decision will be made by the Hancock foundation as to what they see is best and most will likely respect that, however hard it may be to some of us.

By: tuckerfan (offline) on Sunday, May 15 2011 @ 07:41 PM EDT  
tuckerfan

In this case, if the obstruction hindering this chick is man made...it wouldn't be nature taking it's course.....

Debbie
Lake Cowichan BC
Member since April 2007

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Pat B (offline) on Sunday, May 15 2011 @ 07:42 PM EDT  
Pat B

Hancock here: The Sidney Nest Chick Plight:

A disappointing conclusion has just been reached. After so much concern on the web, to me personally and from knowing the hearts of our followers, I have to report my optimism of earlier today has been dashed.

This morning started with the review of the chick's situation. It had not improved. Its movements were still restricted by the fish line or whatever is restraining it. I called the property owner and got her encouragement to do whatever was necessary. I then wrote the details out to seek WildArc help at the site by Jeff Kreiger who I was sure would assist me up the lift. I notified the MOE of the chick's plights and I am sure they would, as before, been totally supportive. Then I tracked down at home our Victoria crane operator. Richard and I planned to go over on Monday to do the rescue and clean cams and install a new one.

Then minutes ago, I got a call from the crane owner that he had immediately gone to the site. He reported back faster than I had imagined. Then the truth came out. His wife and kids were ardent Sidney nest followers and he had no other option but to check the site immediately -- they wanted dad to be the hero.

The problem he reported was that our record wet spring had taken its toll. The ground approaching the nest was puddled with open water and very soft ground. This would not support his 65Tonne crane. So different than driving to the nest in late August or early September when the land had been drying all Summer. Approaching the nest with the crane was simply not feasible and nobody was more disappointed than the crane operator as he had to report this first to his family.

The nest tree is unfortunately long dead and very brittle. When I have been up the crane previously in the dry season, I only had to touch a 1 inch branch very lightly and it would snap off. The nest tree was totally unsafe to have a climber scale. The options are few. Getting a helicopter and someone to hang - dangle from it is very unlikely that close to such a dead and threatening spike.

The options are now up to the eagles to surmount. But all is not yet lost. As some of you who are close followers know, Donald/Flyer was some how caught by something on Friday and got loose later that day. In previous years chicks and adults have been temporarily caught and gotten free. Our plan of a rescue should he not get himself free by noon tomorrow, was to attempt to rescue him. Hopefully that simply meant freeing him/her and removing the line. Now it is up to nature.

Thanks to all of you who sent along the best wishes and especially to those who also contributed. We will use the funds to improve the cams when the opportunity arises. Now we must give our best wishes to Donald/Flyer.

Thanks.

David Hancock

Forum

Plymouth, England

Profile     PM

By: terrytvgal (offline) on Sunday, May 15 2011 @ 07:45 PM EDT  
terrytvgal

There is indeed much soul searching for all of us to do,MB. I am keeping positive thoughts and i hope you will, too.

I came for the eagles, and stayed for the friends I made

Terry, Coquitlam BC

Forum

Coquitlam, BC

Profile     PM

By: Anonymous: litrhody () on Sunday, May 15 2011 @ 07:48 PM EDT  
Anonymous: litrhody

Quote by: JulieinOntario

It would be very unfortunate for Flyer to die but I don't see most people looking at it through your opinion. I'm sure nobody is going to be upset that they donated to a foundation that does more than just try to rescue eaglets such as Flyer. A large amount of viewers have been members for years and have been through good and bad here I'm sure...but they are still here. I'm sure the right decision will be made by the Hancock foundation as to what they see is best and most will likely respect that, however hard it may be to some of us.

Do you not have a heart. Plus what about the children who are watching that ask why no one helped Flyer and just let him die. In the wild where nobody see's it that is different but when hundreds of people are watching and there is a way to help I think you should. I respect the foundation for the dissision that was made and I back them in every way as hundreds of others do

By: Anonymous: Kat () on Sunday, May 15 2011 @ 07:49 PM EDT  
Anonymous: Kat

Thanks Pat for posting that!

Sad

Pushing positive, untangling vibes Flyers way

By: Anonymous: Birdsie () on Sunday, May 15 2011 @ 07:51 PM EDT  
Anonymous: Birdsie

Thank you David Hancock for the swift reply and information about our options...and to you Pat B for posting it for him.

We do have a real chance that Flyer will be able to free herself, or an adult or sibling will break the binding snag.
Thank you for getting back to us all so quickly. Red Heart

All times are EDT. The time is now 11:41 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate