Forum Index > Other Birds and Wildlife > Bears
 Black Bear Den Cam, Ely, MN - Lily
 |  Printable Version
By: jwnix (offline) on Saturday, January 16 2010 @ 05:25 PM EST  
jwnix

and Lynn posted this today:

Lily Update, 2:06 PM ET, January 16, 2010
Today at 3:24pm
We keep looking and listening for cubs, spurred by reports from viewers. The cubs will have sparse fur that shows the light gray skin. They weigh only a pound, not like the 5-pound cubs in the introductory picture on the screen. The cubs will whine. Lily will respond by snuggling them under her, tucking her head under her chest to bear on them, and shifting so they can reach her nipples. We donít believe Lily has cubs yet, based on her behavior and the lack of cub sounds.
.........óLynn Rogers, Ph.D.

jwnix
Black Bear Conservation Coalition www.bbcc.org

Forum

Profile     PM

By: terrytvgal (offline) on Saturday, January 16 2010 @ 08:59 PM EST  
terrytvgal

Really interesting information, Judi and Jwinx! I can't think why anyone would want to remove it.

I am glad that Lily seems to be on schedule... and I find this interesting:

Had she produced a stillborn cub? If the latter, why didn't anyone see her eat it? I saw nothing in the den.

On Wednesday afternoon, a viewer saw her bury something in the bedding and thought it was a cub. Was the viewer right? Why didn't anyone else report it?

I think Dr. Rogers will learn a lot about the capacity of online viewers to 'see' all sorts of things and report them-- all well intentioned-- but often just not quite correct. Think of all the times we've been 'positive' about what we've seen only to be wrong.

It will be so interesting to see how this all works out both for the bear and for the reseachers and viewers. LOL

I came for the eagles, and stayed for the friends I made

Terry, Coquitlam BC

Forum

Coquitlam, BC

Profile     PM

By: jwnix (offline) on Saturday, January 16 2010 @ 11:04 PM EST  
jwnix

which of course, is why it is so valuable to report behaviours and specific observations. I watched her ever so gently pawing some of the den bedding, and was enthralled at how gentle this massive beast was behaving.....I also realized that some would see that same behaviour and imagine she was burying something......
as we learn and watch, it is so helpful to be objective in what is written here.....and challenging as one gets excited and emotional about what one might wish to be seeing first.....
the cubs will arrive on their schedule, if and when it is time......this i believe!!!
josephine
bbcc.org

Quote by: terrytvgal
I think Dr. Rogers will learn a lot about the capacity of online viewers to 'see' all sorts of things and report them-- all well intentioned-- but often just not quite correct.
[/p]

jwnix

Forum

Profile     PM

By: jwnix (offline) on Sunday, January 17 2010 @ 11:14 AM EST  
jwnix

4:28am she is awake, sitting w/back to the right, all 4 legs visible to the left, as she bent forward to do some grooming /licking, looking around
rolled over w/back to us, head at 7:00 facing away;

jwnix

Forum

Profile     PM

By: jwnix (offline) on Sunday, January 17 2010 @ 11:57 AM EST  
jwnix

Quote by: jwnix

4:28am she is awake, sitting w/back to the right, all 4 legs visible to the left, as she bent forward to do some grooming /licking, looking around
rolled over w/back to us, head at 7:00 facing away;

10:55am awake, crawled up out of den partially. did watch her just licking her nose. had heard her licking yesterday and couldn't see what.....today, still on cam, she just licks her snout/chops....multiple times in a row.

10:58 she left the den.... came all the way out of it
Click on image to download

jwnix

Forum

Profile     PM

By: jwnix (offline) on Sunday, January 17 2010 @ 12:06 PM EST  
jwnix

11:03 she's back in the den. rearranging and moving around. seems to be moving material into the den....at one point had blocked the camera, and then moved whatever it was, into the den

jwnix

Forum

Profile     PM

By: jwnix (offline) on Sunday, January 17 2010 @ 12:12 PM EST  
jwnix

Quote by: jwnix

11:03 she's back in the den. rearranging and moving around. seems to be moving material into the den....at one point had blocked the camera, and then moved whatever it was, into the den

11:10 still arranging den material. second shot shows right paw extending to pull in some more bedding in den

jwnix

Forum

Profile     PM

By: jwnix (offline) on Sunday, January 17 2010 @ 02:47 PM EST  
jwnix

1:46pm she's awake looking out. can only tell this as the light is reflecting on her eyes. with the additional material added at the entrance, less light can get into the den so harder to see her

jwnix

Forum

Profile     PM

All times are EST. The time is now 11:43 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate