Forum Index > Eagle Nests Across North America - and the World > Nests in BC - with Ground Observers
 Camp Olave nest - Wilson Creek, Sunshine Coast, BC
 |  Printable Version
By: heatherj (offline) on Monday, April 03 2017 @ 12:41 AM EDT (Read 2887 times)  
heatherj

Welcome to the Camp Olave nest thread. This nest is in Wilson Creek on the Sunshine Coast of BC.

If you visit the nest you are welcome to post comments and pictures here. The nest tree is on private property (Camp Olave - Girl Guides camp) but the nest is visible from the beach in front of the camp. This beach is accessible only at low tide unless you have access through the Camp.

The nest is new to the forum this year but I believe that a pair of eagles has been in residence in this territory for quite some time. I have been watching them since 2011 and have seen adults and juveniles in the territory each year. Then in March 2016 I was excited to find their nest. I watched the nest throughout the season but because I could only visit at low tide and the nest was tucked away deep inside a Douglas Fir it was very tricky to confirm whether they had successfully raised any chicks. It was only when recently I looked back through my photos for the season that it seems the nest had collapsed sometime in April, May or June. I don't know if the chick(s) survived but I did see a juvenile with the adults later in the summer so I'm hopeful. When I visited in late January I spotted a new nest maybe 200m from the old nest on the opposite side of the camp. I'm hoping for better luck for this pair this year.

This pair are neighbours to the Hendersons and the Brownings

2016 - Nest collapsed in early summer but possibly 1 eaglet
2017 - 2 eaglets seen in the nest. At least 1 possible fledge on or before Aug 14

The pics are Ma and Pa on a favourite perch tree and the new nest.

Click on image to download Click on image to download

In the map, last years nest has an orange circle, this years nest has a red circle and the Henderson nest has a green circle.
Click on image to download

What you do makes a difference and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make. Jane Goodall

Forum

Sechelt, BC

Profile Email Website PM

By: heatherj (offline) on Monday, April 03 2017 @ 12:43 AM EDT  
heatherj

In going through my photos of this nest looking for possibles to post on this thread, I have realised that last years nest collapsed sometime between Apr 3 and Jun 17 last year. If that's true I'm guessing that its unlikely that last years chick(s) survived. Sad Even if the collapse was actually on June 17 that seems very early to me for an eaglet to survive. Having said that I do have a photo of a juvenile on a tree near the nest on Oct 12 2016 - so you never know. Smile

April 3rd - I think I can see a white head in the nest. Click image for a better view

Similar angle Jun 17. it seems that half the nest is in a lower branch. Click image for a better view

Juvenile Oct 12 though I'm not sure from the plumage if its a 1 or 2 year old. At the same time an adult was sitting in a favourite perch tree. Click image for a better view

What you do makes a difference and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make. Jane Goodall

Forum

Sechelt, BC

Profile Email Website PM

By: heatherj (offline) on Monday, April 03 2017 @ 12:44 AM EDT  
heatherj

Reserved

Forum

Sechelt, BC

Profile Email Website PM

By: stim (offline) on Monday, April 03 2017 @ 12:22 PM EDT  
stim

Wonderful Heather! I love your picture of Ma and Pa together showing their size difference so well. Could you try to keep an eye on Ma's tail to see if it actually is still mainly dark or white? I don't know if I'll get in there by beach. Will have to keep an eye and ear open to determine when the camp is not in use!
You have a great eye for spotting nest trees!

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Marg (offline) on Monday, April 03 2017 @ 12:28 PM EDT  
Marg

Hi Heather, you are good at spotting nests I agree. Grin
We have so many nests now. wave

aka sunshinecoast member since Aug22/06

Content Provider
[url=http://www.hancockwildlife.org/forum/viewtopic.php?topic=482309#482309

Forum

Davis Bay, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: heatherj (offline) on Saturday, April 15 2017 @ 12:33 AM EDT  
heatherj

Here are some photos from late January of Ma and Pa mating on a tree near the nest. Not the best light that day for photos but thrilling to watch and hear Smile

Click on image to downloadClick on image to downloadClick on image to download

Forum

Sechelt, BC

Profile Email Website PM

By: heatherj (offline) on Tuesday, April 18 2017 @ 01:59 AM EDT  
heatherj

Catching up a bit on my postings! Here's a long distance shot of Ma and Pa sitting near last years nest tree from Feb 24. One adult flew off shortly after that, disappearing out over the water. Then about 30 mins later the adult flew back into a tree that was quite close to me so I got a much better photo of I think Pa Smile

Click on image to download Click on image to download Click on image to download

Forum

Sechelt, BC

Profile Email Website PM

By: heatherj (offline) on Tuesday, April 18 2017 @ 02:03 AM EDT  
heatherj

Here are some photos taken on Mar 22 of one of the adults and a passing juvenile

Click on image to download Click on image to download

Forum

Sechelt, BC

Profile Email Website PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 10:42 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate