Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - All Eagle Nests With Ground Observers
 Central Vancouver Island Eagles 2010-2013
 |  Printable Version
By: sassyk (offline) on Friday, February 05 2010 @ 01:07 AM EST (Read 14139 times)  
sassyk

Welcome to the Central Vancouver Island Eagles thread. This thread is for observations and photos of eagles seen in the area of Central Vancouver Island; some of these locations being Duncan, Nanaimo, Parksville, and the Qualicum area. Although I don't monitor any nests in the Central Vancouver Island area, I do travel around Vancouver Island several times during the year and see lots of eagles. There are several nests in the Nanaimo area that are monitored by birdofprey and sandragee, and I'm sure they will be adding their comments and beautiful photos as the nesting season progresses. Here is the link to the Central Vancouver Island Eagles on the old forum where you will find lots of information and photos: Central Vancouver Island Eagles Please feel free to post your comments and photos whenever you see eagles in the area of Central Vancouver Island.

One touch of nature makes the whole world kin. ~ William Shakespeare
Member since June 2006

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: birdofprey (offline) on Friday, April 09 2010 @ 12:54 AM EDT  
birdofprey

Those of you who followed the adventures of the Seabold eagles in Nanaimo for the past 2 seasons, might be interested to know this pair finally appear to have laid an egg on about April 6. Clapping Although this seems late compared to most other nests on Vancouver island, it was about the same time last year that they began incubating.

Forum

Nanaimo

Profile     PM

By: sandra gee (offline) on Monday, April 26 2010 @ 12:18 PM EDT  
sandra gee

Hi bop wave, I was in the area of the Seabold nest a few times over the weekend and each time there was an adult brooding Left thumb up.

Also bop and I can tell you that we have ANOTHER NEST in the same area ClappingClapping. It's just a ways to the east from the Seabold nest. We'll call it the Lewis nest. My friends, who live very close, have been watching the adults actively building it, bringing in sticks and spending a fair amount of time there. At this time there are no eggs, probably too late for this year, but hopefully next. Over the weekend I was fortunate to see the male bring food in to the nest with the female landing a short time after. When the female landed she immediately began eating while the male flew to a nearby tree. Must have been a good size meal, as the male ate for some time and she had quite a bit too. She then flew to a branch just a little higher and proceeded to clean her beak.

Sandra, Nanaimo BC
Member since Spring, 2006
"Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans"
Song for Sean, John Lennon

Forum

Nanaimo, B.C. Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: sandra gee (offline) on Wednesday, May 12 2010 @ 08:36 PM EDT  
sandra gee

A follow up on the new Lewis Rd. nest menioned in the post above.

Although this is a new nest and late in the season it appears there's at least one egg that has been laid. From approx. May7th there has been an adult in a brooding position on the nest. From my friend's excellent vantage point I've even manage to catch a wiggle as a parent hung on to get further down on the egg/s. Being late in the season the adults could lose interest and abandon the nest, but hopefully that will not be the case and we'll see a chick raised by this pair.

Sandra, Nanaimo BC
Member since Spring, 2006
"Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans"
Song for Sean, John Lennon

Forum

Nanaimo, B.C. Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: sassyk (offline) on Friday, May 14 2010 @ 01:17 PM EDT  
sassyk

wavebop and sandra, it's good to hear the Seabold pair have eggsLeft thumb up Sandra, you will get some practice taking pics of the Lewis Rd. pair when you visit your friendNodding yes

One touch of nature makes the whole world kin. ~ William Shakespeare
Member since June 2006

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: birdofprey (offline) on Sunday, June 20 2010 @ 12:38 AM EDT  
birdofprey

Update on these 2 nests in Nanaimo:

Seabold Park nest - a chick hatched on about May 12. The eaglet is now about 5 1/2 weeks old and growing quickly. Grin

Lewis Park nest - as Sandra posted, there appeared to be an egg laid very late in the season on about May 7. She now thinks there may have been a hatch as the eagle has been sitting higher in the nest and exhibiting some feeding behaviour since about June 16 Clapping

Photo quality is not great - all taken from a distance and cropped

Lewis eagle
Click on image to download

Lewis eagle through scope

Seabold eaglet

Forum

Nanaimo

Profile     PM

By: birdofprey (offline) on Sunday, June 20 2010 @ 12:43 AM EDT  
birdofprey

These photos of the Lewis Park nest were taken on April 24, shortly after the eagles had built their new nest.

eagle in nest

close-up

other eagle perched higher up in tree

Forum

Nanaimo

Profile     PM

By: birdofprey (offline) on Sunday, June 20 2010 @ 12:45 AM EDT  
birdofprey

one more post of the Lewis tree from the other side - the nest is not visible.

Forum

Nanaimo

Profile     PM

All times are EST. The time is now 07:22 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate