Forum Index > Eagle Nests Across North America - and the World > Nests in BC - with Ground Observers
 Porpoise Bay Provincial Park, Lot 17, Sechelt BC on The Sunshine Coast
 |  Printable Version
By: stim (offline) on Saturday, March 25 2017 @ 02:09 PM EDT (Read 196 times)  
stim

This is an established nest in the campground on lot #17 at Porpoise Bay Provincial Park on Sechelt Inlet Rd just out of Sechelt BC. It is very close to the beach on Porpoise Bay. The lot is adjacent to the backyard of a house on private property at the end of Marmot Rd where there is a good beach access for us eagle watchers.
The HWF Lunch Bunch visited this nest in 2007 with Marg Cleven. We do not know if the nest has been active since then but I am suspicious that it might be now with some white markings on a few leaves beneath the nesting tree, some white blotches seen on my pictures of nest sticks and the possibility of a white head seen brooding eggs in the nest. I will try to follow it during this nesting season without disturbing campers.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: stim (offline) on Saturday, March 25 2017 @ 02:16 PM EDT  
stim

I walked in to the nest site from a parking lot on March 21. Gates into the campground were not open yet.
The nest is in a good sized Douglas Fir. Just look at the trees in lot 17 for a good sized trunk and follow your eyes up to what looks to be a good sturdy nest.

Click on image to download

I am suspicious that I noticed a white head in the nest while zooming in on my nest pictures. Click on the picture x 2 to enlarge. A possible white head in the middle of the shot?

Going in even closer shows what looks like a couple of poop marks, on a stick front left and on a tree branch upper right.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

stim

This is a map of the camping lots. Looking at it from this angle Lot 17 is at our bottom left, near the water which is to our left.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

stim

Reserved

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: stim (offline) on Wednesday, April 12 2017 @ 05:38 PM EDT  
stim

I was back to lot 17 yesterday. There was no eagle activity and neighbours on Marmot Rd. have not noticed nor heard any eagle activity. I intend to continue observing here though to see what evolves.

Nest in the campground.

Nest tree from part way down Marmot Rd. There's a good sized branch on the lower left waiting to fall. Many branches broken off the tree.

The nest from Marmot Rd.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: stim (offline) on Thursday, May 18 2017 @ 01:54 PM EDT  
stim

A return to the nest yesterday did not find any eagle activity, sights nor sounds of eaglets. Interesting though when I zoomed in on the nest and tree I found what looks like poop on greenery above the nest and near the nest. I'm not giving up on eaglets possibly being here yet.

Pics taken from Marmot Rd.

Poop near the nest? Can click on the pics to enlarge x 2.

Greenery above the nest.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 11:57 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate