Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - All Non Raptor Cams
 Hummingbird Cam - Orange County, California
 |  Printable Version
By: soph9 (offline) on Monday, February 15 2010 @ 12:07 PM EST  
soph9

I would imagine poor nutrition may have something to do with the lack of feathers....or something genetic...not sure what will happen...I wonder is Pheobe will stop coming to the nest because Sassy is supposed to have fledged by now.

Forum

Maple Ridge, BC
Canada

Profile Email Website PM

By: jkr (offline) on Monday, February 15 2010 @ 03:46 PM EST  
jkr

I wonder the same things Leslie. At the rate Phoebe builds nest and lays eggs I can't see her caring for Sassy for much longer. :cry1: I can't imagine a bird rescue center would be equipped to care for her either but I hope I'm wrong.

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: soph9 (offline) on Monday, February 15 2010 @ 03:50 PM EST  
soph9

I wonder what Joe thinks?

Forum

Maple Ridge, BC
Canada

Profile Email Website PM

By: Anonymous: rajame () on Tuesday, February 16 2010 @ 12:35 AM EST  
Anonymous: rajame

All, I am totally freaking out about Sassy. She is sick and dying and we are discussing, "poor little thing, she needs feathers?" Come on please. Joe needs to bring that bird to a rehab facility and quit milking the story. It is time for her to fledge. If she tries she will fall and die a painful death. I don't mean to throw cold water on this discussion but if we are watching we have a responsibility to do the right thing. I have contacted the cam owner. Can David get involved and look at the baby too? Thank you for listening.

By: Anonymous: Tsebitai () on Tuesday, February 16 2010 @ 06:15 AM EST  
Anonymous: Tsebitai

Quote by: rajame

All, I am totally freaking out about Sassy. She is sick and dying and we are discussing, "poor little thing, she needs feathers?"

I have felt this way for 3 weeks and asked the mods on the cam chat to tell Joe to contact rehab and get the protein formula for his feeders. It was obvious Sassy lacked protein. Rain and cold means dead bugs and spiders and no protein for babies. Protein is crucial especially for chick's early development. The mods told me not to be negative, so I stopped posting on the chat. But I also posted on Phoebe's facebook about the lack of bugs and need for protein and then on Feb 7 posted directions on how to raise fruit flys for them.

I think it is illegal to interfere with any native bird's nest. I believe the nest has to be abandoned or the nestling fall before rehab will help. The mods on Phoebe's chat said the nest is being monitored by the Bishops, the couple in this article: http://articles.latimes.com/1994-04-05/ ... -creatures

Monday Joe wrote on FB: http://www.facebook.com/phoebe.allens Phoebe Allens wants to thank everyone for their support & good wishes. We spoke with a couple experts in hummingbird rescue from LA and Orange County. They both strongly believe it is better to leave Sassy with her mother for now, and will step in when needed. One theory is that the recent storms reduced the supply of the insects (w...e now have a rotting banana in the yard - organic!).

I am worried that she isn't able to poop properly - seems to strain very hard with little result. In rehab, that could probably be helped by some warm water and a "tickle" to get her going if she is plugged up. Or it could be organs that have not properly developed and there is no hope for improvement, if something IS wrong.

By: jkr (offline) on Tuesday, February 16 2010 @ 10:18 AM EST  
jkr

Tsebitai thanks for posting that information. It's nice to know that someone is available to care for Sassy.

I know we're all hoping for the best in a sad situation but things don't look promising.

The hardest part of watching wildlife on camera is that not everything turns out "Happily Ever After" and as humans it's very difficult for us to see it happening before our eyes.

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: IrishEyes (offline) on Tuesday, February 16 2010 @ 02:31 PM EST  
IrishEyes

here is a few s'caps of sassy and phoebe feeding her
Click on image to download

Helpful Hints Be respectful ..Bev !

Forum

Nova Scotia,Canada.

Profile     PM

By: Anonymous: rajame () on Tuesday, February 16 2010 @ 02:41 PM EST  
Anonymous: rajame

Tsebitai thanks for your comments and Judy, you are always the calm voice, I thank you too.

I did not look in at the nest after the 2nd egg until this past Saturday and was shocked beyond belief. I immediately wrote Joe and email. I have spoken nicely, I have written Joe a few times and talked to mods in the chat too. Now they say that rehabbers are looking in. Are you kidding me? If you all knew me you would know that I am not a hysterical person. I love these birds and it pains me greatly to see this happening to Sassy. I don't believe Joe has contacted any rehabber. I am sorry but I don't. If he had contacted one, any sane/trained rehabber would have that baby in an incubator, on an IV and feeding her preparations of protein, etc. I hope that I am wrong about this but she is dying before all of our eyes. I just looked again, she is listless.

I asked this before, but do we have someone with a title that can get through to Joe on this?

Thank you for listening. I just care.
Rajame

All times are EST. The time is now 11:43 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate