Forum Index > Eagle Nests Across North America - and the World > Nests in BC - with Ground Observers
 Porpoise Bay nest, Sechelt on The Sunshine Coast, BC
 |  Printable Version
By: stim (offline) on Saturday, March 04 2017 @ 06:33 PM EST (Read 214 times)  
stim

Welcome to this nest thread for the 2017 nesting season. Please post any sightings you may have at this nest or any comments you wish to make.
The nest is located on Porpoise Bay at the top of Sechelt Inlet. It can be viewed off the Public Pier or from The Lighthouse Pub. Grin
Last season this nest was successful fledging 2 youngsters named Peta, a Native American word for eagle and Marshall by a HWF member Aspen and her children. Ma has been named Aras, a word indicating intelligent eagle. Pa is Arni, a word associated with eagle power by them as well.
There was question last year whether this couple was a former Porpoise Bay nesting couple who nested in the same stand of trees 2009-2010, or our Marsh couple. I have opened a separate thread for our Marsh eagles as a new nest has been built there again this year.
I originally found a very large nest here in 2009. At that time 2 eaglets were seen. The nest blew down in April 2010 and we were led to believe by boaters that the eagles were taking sticks deeper into the stand of trees for the 2011 nesting season. Eagles perched at the top of the stand of trees every year following until last year when the new nest was built out over the water. Then the parents perched closer to the nest.
We are not sure if intent is to use this nest again this year. A HWF member, Arlene, saw 2 eagles perched near the nest late last month. I saw an eagle perching at the top of the stand of trees in Feb.
We will watch and record what happens here and at our new Marsh nest. Perhaps it is one couple going back and forth.

Picture taken in September 2016 when I had no reason to determine that this nest may not be used again, eagle perched very close to the nest. Eagle sightings have been very infrequent here this winter though.
Click on image to download

Link to 2016 thread

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: stim (offline) on Saturday, March 04 2017 @ 06:34 PM EST  
stim

I just found this close up of the nest taken October 18/16 and waiting for the thread to open.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: stim (offline) on Saturday, March 04 2017 @ 06:35 PM EST  
stim

Reserved

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: heatherj (offline) on Tuesday, March 07 2017 @ 12:04 AM EST  
heatherj

Thanks for opening this thread Sandra. It will be interesting to see how this nest develops this season.

What you do makes a difference and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make. Jane Goodall

Forum

Sechelt, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: Mushka (offline) on Wednesday, March 08 2017 @ 01:07 AM EST  
Mushka

Thanks for opening this thread Sandra! Whenever I'm in Sechelt I'll try and stop by this nest and the Marsh nest, will be really interesting to see if both will be used this year, or just the new nest at the marsh.

aka KarenH

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Marg (offline) on Wednesday, March 08 2017 @ 09:43 AM EST  
Marg

Good to see the Porpoise Bay thread open Sandra, thanks.
We will be waiting to see if both nests are used this one and the Marsh nest! wave

aka sunshinecoast member since Aug22/06

Content Provider
[url=http://www.hancockwildlife.org/forum/viewtopic.php?topic=482309#482309

Forum

Davis Bay, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: stim (offline) on Wednesday, March 08 2017 @ 12:08 PM EST  
stim

I normally check here and in the Marsh when in Sechelt too Karen. Yesterday I drove by both nests 3 times, saw no adults near either one. I did discover that the Marsh nest can be seen from the road on Wharf. Be careful driving by now with head turned to see what's going on as you pass!!

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Mushka (offline) on Monday, March 13 2017 @ 11:55 PM EDT  
Mushka

Hi everyone, while in Sechelt yesterday I checked on the Porpoise Bay nest. I didn't see any activity at the nest or any adults around but saw two juveniles - I wondered if they were last years youngsters Peta and Marshall - in the trees up behind the nest where the adults perched last year.

Karen H

Please click onto the picture to enlarge.

Lighting wasn't the best as it was drizzling out, but can hopefully see the two juveniles perched high in the trees.

aka KarenH

Forum

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 06:29 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate