Forum Index > Eagle Nests Across North America - and the World > Nests in BC - with Ground Observers
 Marsh Nest 2016-17 Sechelt, on the Sunshine Coast, BC.
 |  Printable Version
By: stim (offline) on Saturday, March 04 2017 @ 05:25 PM EST (Read 272 times)  
stim

Welcome to our nest! Please drop in to post pictures or comments should you see this nest in person or on this forum. This is a new nest in The Sechelt Marsh this year. Last season our adults made a couple of attempts to rebuild a fallen nest but high winds took the placed sticks before they were secure. The only new nest found anywhere near was at the top of Porpoise Bay, seen off the Public Pier. We dubbed it the Porpoise Bay nest not knowing if it was by our Marsh couple or an older Porpoise Bay couple thought to be nesting deeper into the stand of trees. A native man who lives across the bay from the nest and who has a relationship with these birds told us that they were the Marsh couple nesting there.
Now with this new nest built back at The Marsh we are watching to see if this nest and our Porpoise Bay nest are used this season or just one.

The former Marsh nest was discovered by a HWF friend Larry who was visiting us and our nests in 2012. It was a successful nest despite coming down in 2014, rebuilt and blew down again July 2015. They have changed trees for the 2016 season and now have moved back to a new tree in The Marsh..

2012 - 2 eaglets seen in July
2013 - 2 eaglets seen named Sea and Shell
2014 -2 eaglets seen. Nest was blown down during a storm July 2, eaglets fledged as far as we know.
2015 -January 27, a new nest was spotted in the same spot in the nest tree by Marg, a local HWF member. Both eaglets branched then fledged even though the nest collapsed and they had to spend a couple of weeks branching in the nest tree without a nest. The eaglets were named by our member Aspen's children... Chase & Sky!
2016-Two attempts to start a new nest were noted early in the season but the placed twigs blew down in storms. Then no evidence of nest building as a new nest appeared on Porpoise Bay.

The new nest is on the same side of the water as the old one, deeper into The Marsh. The old nest tree is at the top of the map near the street. Perhaps Karen, another HWF member will post her picture of it here with this year's eagle perched now that we are up and running.Grin
Click on image to download

These pictures of the nest were taken from the bench across the water near the top of The Marsh. I was able to find it thanks to Karen's directions. Our eagles were very considerate building within good viewing from that bench. Grin

On a recent visit we saw Pa flying to a living wall at Sechelt's new sanitation plant located adjacent to The Marsh, grab some dead grasses and deliver them to the nest. An eagle has also been seen perching in the old nest tree.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: stim (offline) on Saturday, March 04 2017 @ 05:27 PM EST  
stim

Reserved

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: stim (offline) on Saturday, March 04 2017 @ 05:27 PM EST  
stim

Reserved

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: heatherj (offline) on Tuesday, March 07 2017 @ 12:07 AM EST  
heatherj

Thanks for opening this thread Sandra. Fingers crossed for this couple this year - hopefully they're a bit more sheltered from the winds here.

What you do makes a difference and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make. Jane Goodall

Forum

Sechelt, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: Mushka (offline) on Wednesday, March 08 2017 @ 12:57 AM EST  
Mushka

Thanks for opening this thread Sandra, I too hope the new nest fairs better in the new location in the marsh. Last month I did see one of the adults perched in the 'old' nest tree at the beginning of the marsh and then the following week an adult perched in the new nest tree. I took a couple of quick pictures at the time from across the marsh but haven't been back since.

Karen H

Adult in the 'old' nest tree on February 21st.

Adult in the 'new' nest tree on February 26th - perched on the right about 4 branches up from the nest.

A closer shot of the adult in the new nest tree on February 26th.

aka KarenH

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Marg (offline) on Wednesday, March 08 2017 @ 09:36 AM EST  
Marg

Sandra, thanks for opening the thread this year. Good to see the pictures Sandra, and Karen. Let's hope that we have eaglets here. Grin

aka sunshinecoast member since Aug22/06

Content Provider
[url=http://www.hancockwildlife.org/forum/viewtopic.php?topic=482309#482309

Forum

Davis Bay, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: stim (offline) on Wednesday, March 08 2017 @ 12:12 PM EST  
stim

Good to see us all here and your pictures Karen. hug

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Mushka (offline) on Monday, March 13 2017 @ 11:47 PM EDT  
Mushka

Hi everyone, I was in Sechelt yesterday so stopped by the Marsh nest. At first I couldn't see any eagles but could hear one. I looked in all the trees but couldn't figure out where the calling/screaming was coming from so started taking some pictures of the nest, and up popped a head ! One of the adults had been in the nest all along. But as that adult flew off right away, and it was raining, I left.

About an hour later I went back and just as I arrived I saw one of the adults fly out of the nest again. I hadn't noticed if the other adult was in the perch tree (the 'old' nest tree) when I arrived but all of a sudden they were both in the perch tree and a lot of calling was going on between the two. It was loud !

I barely had time to get over there before one flew back to the nest and I then noticed that the remaining adult was eating. After eating that adult flew off, I went back to see if I could see any activity at the nest but I'm thinking that the one in there was down low because I couldn't see anything. As it had starting raining again I left.

All in all, lots of excitement and activity and if it hadnít been raining I probably would have stayed around a bit longer.

Karen H

Please click on to the pictures to enlarge.

One of the adults suddenly appearing in the new Marsh nest. I had not seen any indication that the nest was occupied until the head appeared!

One of the adults eating in the perch tree.

aka KarenH

Forum

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 06:28 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate