Forum Index > Eagle Nests Across North America - and the World > Other North American Eagle Cams
 Blackwater Refuge MD - 2017 - Bald Eagle Cam
 |  Printable Version
By: Lonette (offline) on Wednesday, November 23 2016 @ 12:21 PM EST (Read 4697 times)  
Lonette

Hello everyone and welcome to the 2017 Blackwater Refuge Bald Eagle Cam thread. This is the place where memories will be made by all who stop in to visit. There is always so much joy and friendship here and we so very much look forward to sharing Mom and Dad Blackwater and their family with everyone.

To watch the cam, please click on the link. Blackwater NWR Eagle Cam

The camera has frequently updating still shots, and uses infrared technology to provide "night vision." During last year's nest season, the cam was turned off from 11 pm - 3 am to reduce bandwidth expenses. We were told that the Refuge was working on the possibility of providing a live cam feed this year. No final word as of yet.

This is one of the first nests to have a cam, and has been online since 2005. The pair successfully raised three chicks in 2005, and two each from 2006 through 2010. The pair successfully raised three chicks in 2011. In 2012, tragedy struck at the nest on February 26, two eight-day old chicks were killed by an intruder eagle at the nest. In 2013, Mom Blackwater laid three eggs. The chick from the third egg succumbed, but Mom and Dad raised two beautiful chicks from hatching to the time they fledged and were taught to care for themselves; the two were named Talon and Soar through a contest by Blackwater Refuge. Mom laid three eggs during the 2013 - 2014 season. Two of the eggs hatched and were named Chaser and Glider through the annual eaglet naming contest.

In 2015, three eggs were laid. Two hatched, the third egg was not viable. Our season was short as both chicks succumbed. Our group of Blackwater Buds wanted to give the smallest chick a name when he passed, so we called him Abe. Here is a link for you. Abe Our good friend WoodlandBleu suggested that we name the firstborn chick Dora. Dora thrived under the care of her doting parents, and became Dora the Explorer as she began moving out of the nest bowl. During one evening, Dora was out of the nest bowl when Dad took a turn on the nest to brood. Dora did not get back in the bowl, and succumbed to the cold. Here is a link for you. Dora

Here are a couple of pictures of Mom and Dad Blackwater from the 2015-2016 nesting season as they prepared their nest for eggs.
Click on image to download

Here's hoping for a great season this year. We're looking forward to seeing you!

Link to 2015-2016 thread

“Our power of perseverance is as that of an eagle. We soar above our challengers.” Ellen J. Barrier

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Lonette (offline) on Wednesday, November 23 2016 @ 12:21 PM EST  
Lonette

Hello everyone and welcome back to the Blackwater Refuge Eagle Cam Forum! fingers crossedfingers crossedfingers crossed for a great nesting season for Mom and Dad. It looks like the camera will be up in early December this year, so the forum is ready for your posts. Sometimes we see them on the osprey cam before their nest cam. Here's the link. Blackwater NWR Osprey Cam

I'll see you on the forum!hugCloud 9

“Our power of perseverance is as that of an eagle. We soar above our challengers.” Ellen J. Barrier

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Lonette (offline) on Tuesday, December 06 2016 @ 02:59 PM EST  
Lonette

And the hits just keep on coming:

Nest Update

12/2/16:
Technical Note
We have not seen eagles at the nest in a long time. Recently a raccoon was seen in the nest and the animals are digging holes in the nest. Since the eagles have failed to produce chicks here for a couple years, there is a chance they have moved on to another tree. We'll keep you updated about a possible time to turn on the cam.

Cry HankyCryhug

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Lonette (offline) on Tuesday, December 06 2016 @ 03:03 PM EST  
Lonette

12-6-16 3:00 p.m. nest time

Eagle pair on the osprey nest. Perhaps not our pair, since they haven't been back to the nest yet.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: golden1 (offline) on Thursday, February 02 2017 @ 01:47 PM EST  
golden1

February 2, 2017

EAgles have been on the nest. They have been in and out according to reports on facebook.

2009 ~ Donna ~ Colorado

Forum

colorado

Profile Email   PM

By: bev. (offline) on Thursday, February 02 2017 @ 07:31 PM EST  
bev.

here is one of my videos.

they have been working on nest all day , bringing in grass etc. They just left a bit ago

I recorded most of day and they were there most of day.
Video Camera

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GRMKOn ... e=youtu.be

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Lonette (offline) on Thursday, February 02 2017 @ 08:02 PM EST  
Lonette

Thank you bev!

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Lonette (offline) on Friday, February 03 2017 @ 11:12 AM EST  
Lonette

February 3, 2017

Good morning, BW Buds -

It's so nice to see a pair on the nest. bev, your video was great. I took a good look at all of your pictures in your video to see if I could tell if this is a new pair. A couple of observations. In past years, there was a visible black dot on one of the parents' head. I don't see that yet. There weren't any other real noticeable characteristics on our first Mom and Dad BW except one of them had a wonky tail feather that would stick out. I haven't seen that yet either. I'll keep looking.

And, here are a couple of captures for you from late morning.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 01:03 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate