Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Raptor Cams - Other than Eagles.
 Peregrine Falcon Cam - Gulf Tower, Pittsburgh, PA
 |  Printable Version
By: soph9 (offline) on Wednesday, February 03 2010 @ 09:44 PM EST (Read 6707 times)  
soph9

2013 Season

The cam is somewhat blurry for the 2013 season. Be sure to read the information below the cam for the story of this Falcon family and the cam.

2013 FALCON CAM LINK

2010 Season

The peregrine falcons in this broadcast are nesting on a ledge high-up in the Gulf Tower in down-town Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Cam has infrared and audio!Left thumb up

The Western Pennsylvania Conservancy established a partnership with the Gulf Tower and the Pennsylvania Game Commission in 1990 to provide a protected nesting site for a pair of peregrine falcons spotted in Pittsburgh. The Gulf Tower nest has fledged a total of 59 young peregrine falcons since the first nesting in 1991.

Click on image to download

Forum

Maple Ridge, BC
Canada

Profile Email Website PM

By: soph9 (offline) on Tuesday, February 23 2010 @ 11:18 AM EST  
soph9

adult sitting on top of the nest box...still snow in the box as you can see! Click on image to download

Forum

Maple Ridge, BC
Canada

Profile Email Website PM

By: soph9 (offline) on Sunday, March 21 2010 @ 08:08 PM EDT  
soph9

I think there are 2 eggs so far.....female enjoying the night!Click on image to download

Forum

Maple Ridge, BC
Canada

Profile Email Website PM

By: soph9 (offline) on Sunday, March 21 2010 @ 11:26 PM EDT  
soph9

earlier I saw two adults and then female hanging out....but no one home incubating at night...I wonder if these eggs are viable?

Forum

Maple Ridge, BC
Canada

Profile Email Website PM

By: soph9 (offline) on Wednesday, March 31 2010 @ 07:35 AM EDT  
soph9

So I am checking in once and awhile and see the female hovering over the eggs but have yet to really see her incubate....weird behaviour if these eggs are indeed going to hatch....Puzzled

Forum

Maple Ridge, BC
Canada

Profile Email Website PM

By: Anonymous: tap () on Friday, April 02 2010 @ 08:53 AM EDT  
Anonymous: tap

Go to the Pittsburgh Post Gazette on the interenet for an update on the soap opera going on here. Original Mom has abandoned the 2 eggs, Dad trying to incubate and now a new female makes an appearance and some bonding going on there!!!

By: soph9 (offline) on Friday, April 02 2010 @ 09:13 AM EDT  
soph9

ok that makes sense....thanks for the update...as for the other Pittsburgh cam I added Cathedral to the title...there are three threads for 3 different cams in this area....hope this makes sense tap.

Forum

Maple Ridge, BC
Canada

Profile Email Website PM

By: OhioWatcher (offline) on Monday, April 26 2010 @ 12:40 PM EDT  
OhioWatcher

From what I understand (and I could be wrong) the original female laid 2 eggs and then was driven away by the new female, who then laid 3 more eggs. There was a week or so lapse before the new eggs were laid and there was little or no brooding on the two original eggs. Once the new female started brooding, she lay on all five eggs which have now hatched. That means that she incubated two eggs that weren't hers, right? Is that common? Pretty amazing that the two of the baby falcons are only half-siblings to the other three.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

All times are EST. The time is now 07:37 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate