Forum Index > Eagle Nests Across North America - and the World > Nests in BC - with Ground Observers
 Field Rd Nest, 2016/2017 season - Wilson Creek on the Sunshine Coast
 |  Printable Version
By: heatherj (online) on Wednesday, October 12 2016 @ 01:37 AM EDT (Read 569 times)  
heatherj

Welcome to the Field Rd nest thread for the 2016/2017 Season

If you visit the Field Rd nest in Wilson Creek you are welcome to post comments and pictures here.

This nest is new to the forum this year though the nest has been occupied for at least 5 years and probably a lot longer. The nest is on private property and any views from public property are from quite a distance or would require bushwacking through scrub. However from our property we have a peek-a-boo view of the back of the nest and as we have quite a few big trees around us we're quite well placed for observations of the activities of the adults and juveniles throughout the year. The pictures may not always be great but hopefully they'll be interesting!!

The nest is in the riparian area of Husdon Creek at the back of a big vacant lot on upper Field Rd. The nest is quite a distance from Field Rd so I'm not sure how good a view is possible even with good binoculars but I will investigate and post directions if I find any good viewpoints. The adults can sometimes be seen sitting in the trees right on Field Rd around Marble Rd

• 2013 - 1 eaglet fledged on or before July 26
  • 2014 - 1 eaglet fledged, date unknown
  • 2015 - 1 eaglet fledged, date unknown
  • 2016 - 1 eaglet fledged on or before July 23

What you do makes a difference and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make. Jane Goodall

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: heatherj (online) on Wednesday, October 12 2016 @ 01:37 AM EDT  
heatherj

Ma and Pa, March 2014
Click on image to download

Nest with eaglet, June 2014

Ma and Pa, June 2016

What you do makes a difference and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make. Jane Goodall

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Marg (offline) on Wednesday, October 12 2016 @ 09:18 AM EDT  
Marg

Hi Heather, thank you for opening this thread. I look forward to seeing the pictures, I don't think that I can go "bushwhacking through scrub". Grin

Marg wave

aka sunshinecoast member since Aug22/06

Content Provider
[url=http://www.hancockwildlife.org/forum/viewtopic.php?topic=482309#482309

Forum

Davis Bay, BC

Profile     PM

By: stim (offline) on Wednesday, October 12 2016 @ 02:06 PM EDT  
stim

So glad you have opened this thread Heather. I agree with Marg about the bushwhacking! Grin

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: heatherj (online) on Thursday, October 13 2016 @ 12:54 AM EDT  
heatherj

Thanks Marg and Sandra. I'm excited to see what happens with our eagle neighbours this season!

Last week a few days apart I saw a juvenile and an adult around the nest tree. The adult has been calling quite a lot probably determined to reclaim the nest and the territory! Then a few days later this adult (maybe Pa?) was sitting in a nearby tree, close enough for me to get this photo.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: karenbills (offline) on Thursday, October 13 2016 @ 01:11 AM EDT  
karenbills

Heather - It is wonderful that you can report on this nest that otherwise would remain unknown due to its private location. Thanks.

Member since 2006.

Forum Admin
Admin

Langley, BC

By: Marg (offline) on Thursday, October 13 2016 @ 09:47 AM EDT  
Marg

I like the picture of the two eagles on the branch Heather and it always amazes me when I see one of our local eagles perched at the top of a flimsy tree. Grin

aka sunshinecoast member since Aug22/06

Content Provider
[url=http://www.hancockwildlife.org/forum/viewtopic.php?topic=482309#482309

Forum

Davis Bay, BC

Profile     PM

By: stim (offline) on Thursday, October 13 2016 @ 12:35 PM EDT  
stim

Wonderful report on the adult and juvie being nearby and that you got a picture of the adult.
That picture of the nest is from your property? How lucky you are. What size lens to you use to get in so close?

Forum

Profile Email   PM

All times are EST. The time is now 09:15 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate