Forum Index > Raptors Other than Eagles > Osprey
 Osprey Nests In the Lower Vancouver Island Area
 |  Printable Version
By: sassyk (offline) on Monday, September 26 2016 @ 04:52 PM EDT (Read 821 times)  
sassyk

I have created this new dedicated thread for observations, photos and videos of the Osprey families who are nesting in the lower Vancouver Island area. I have been watching 4 local nests the past couple of years and have posted my observations and photos on another thread here.

One of the nests is located on a light standard overlooking the playing field at our local University of Victoria. The University installed a camera on another light standard across the field and you will find a link to their web cam on their site here. The cam does not zoom in but you can zoom the page larger for a better view of the Osprey. If anyone is interested in watching this cam and takes screencaptures or videos, please include a note giving credit and thanks to the University of Victoria.

Here are a few of my own photographs I took when I visited the University nest on 3 August 2016.

Mom with all 3 young.
Click on image to download

Mom & Dad with 1 young.

Mom with 2 young.

There are no cameras on the other 3 nests that I have been watching but observations, photos and videos are welcome to be posted here by anyone who visits these nests. Locations are noted in the following post.

One touch of nature makes the whole world kin. ~ William Shakespeare
Member since June 2006

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: sassyk (offline) on Monday, September 26 2016 @ 05:10 PM EDT  
sassyk

This nest is located on the property of the Institute of Ocean Sciences on West Saanich Rd., near the Victoria International Airport and the Coast Guard docks at the south end of Pat Bay. The nest is at the top of a communication tower beside the building. Here is a s'cap I captured from the Google Map.

Here are a couple of photos of the Osprey family that I took on 1 Aug. 2016. There were 2 young in the nest this season and Mom was feeding the 2 young ones.

Member since June 2006

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: sassyk (offline) on Monday, September 26 2016 @ 05:42 PM EDT  
sassyk

This nest is on the DND property at Belmont Park, near the Esquimalt Lagoon. It is on a man-made tower behind the Fire Hall on the corner of Belmont Rd. and Kuper Ave. Here is a screencapture I took from the Google map showing the Fire Hall. The man-made tower is in the background, behind the communications tower.

Here are 2 photos I took on 25 July 2016. There were 2 young in this nest this year. This photo was taken from behind the Fire Hall with Mom and 1 young perched on the side of the nest. The top of the head of the 2nd young is visible in the nest.

This photo was taken from the side street behind the nest. Mom was preening, the young one next to Mom was getting ready for a poop shot, and the 2nd young one was watching. They were all waiting for Dad to deliver a meal.

Member since June 2006

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: IrishEyes (offline) on Monday, September 26 2016 @ 06:29 PM EDT  
IrishEyes

3:29pm

WOW! Beautiful Osprey pictures Kay .. thanks for setting up this thread !

...Helpful Hints ..Be respectful ..Bev.

Forum

Nova Scotia,Canada.

Profile     PM

By: sassyk (offline) on Monday, September 26 2016 @ 06:34 PM EDT  
sassyk

This nest is on the grounds of Royal Athletic Park in Victoria which is between Vancouver St. and Cook St. It is also on the top of one of the light standards overlooking the ball field. Here is a screencapture showing the nest site. These Osprey had 2 young in the nest this season and they hatched a few weeks later than the ones in the other nests I watched.

Here are 2 photos that I took on 19 Sep. 2016. One of the young was perched at the end of the light standard. It started squawking when 2 crows arrived to harass it. When the crows decided to hop up onto the side of the nest 2 hugs wings flew up and the 2nd young one flew off. It landed on a communication tower a few blocks away and did not return to the nest while I was there.

The young one jumped into the nest, waiting for the crows to leave. The young ones will stay around the nest site for awhile after they have fledged; the male will usually bring food for them.

Member since June 2006

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: jkr (offline) on Tuesday, September 27 2016 @ 08:37 AM EDT  
jkr

Kay, your photos are beautiful !
Sept 19th is a lot later than the osprey hang around in our area of the province. They obviously like the Victoria weather better.

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: sassyk (offline) on Wednesday, September 28 2016 @ 01:48 AM EDT  
sassyk

Thanks Judy. I guess they are like eagles; some are earlier than others. It's wonderful to be able to watch the Osprey families after the eagles have all left the area. Before we know it the eagles will be back WooHoo

Member since June 2006

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: IrishEyes (offline) on Wednesday, September 28 2016 @ 08:34 PM EDT  
IrishEyes

Thanks Kay... I love Osprey and your pictures are spectacular ! hug

...Helpful Hints ..Be respectful ..Bev.

Forum

Nova Scotia,Canada.

Profile     PM

All times are EST. The time is now 05:19 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate