Forum Index > Eagle Nests Across North America - and the World > Nests in BC - with Ground Observers
 Chaster Bald Eagle Nest on The Strait of Georgia, Gibsons BC, Sunshine Coast, 2016-2017
 |  Printable Version
By: stim (offline) on Tuesday, September 20 2016 @ 07:41 PM EDT (Read 389 times)  
stim

Welcome to this nest site. The nest tree is on private property on Chaster Beach on The Strait of Georgia in Gibsons, BC. This is a well established nest, over 25 years old according to people who live there.
We've been following nest activity here since 2011. Please feel free to submit pictures, or just drop in to say hi and tell us of any eagle activity you see if you visit this nest site.

History:

2011 not being used
2012 July 2 eaglets seen fledged
2013 2 eaglets seen Prince & Abby
2014 Jan 5 one adult seen. Eaglets ? I met a neighbour who lives nearby who told me that the young are heard in the morning and evening.
2015 1 eaglet, 1 seen after fledging
2016 2 eaglets Pico and Elusive fledged

Pa is banded. Every year since 2011 we get confirmation he has returned by sighting the band and one day we hope to get the number for David H to check a bit of his history.

A Shaman who lives on The Esplanade near the nest tree has seen eagle activity during the month of September which sounds promising for another successful season.

To visit last year's thread for this nest go to forum/viewtopic.php?topic=815492#815492

I have recently taken pictures of the nest, looking to me in need of some nestorating.
On approach. Can click on pictures to make bigger.
Click on image to download

Taken from the Love Shack on the opposite side of the tree.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: stim (offline) on Tuesday, September 20 2016 @ 07:42 PM EDT  
stim

Reserved

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Mushka (offline) on Saturday, September 24 2016 @ 12:18 AM EDT  
Mushka

Hi everyone and thank you for opening the new thread Sandra!

I did see some eagle activity this past Monday (September 19th) while walking along the beach in-between Chaster Park and the parking area with the washroom, a river otter had caught my eye so I was walking towards it when an eagle went flying by overhead towards the otter, the eagle did a second pass and then grabbed what appeared to be a half-eaten fish the otter had left behind, and headed Chaster Park direction with it.

I managed to get some pictures, though I was a bit far away and didn't get a chance to fully focus while the eagle activity was going on, it happened so fast plus I wasn't expecting to see an eagle ! Not too long after the eagle left the otter returned with a flounder and was able to eat that meal in peace, by that time I was fairly close and managed to get some pictures of the otter that I will post too.

Karen H

Please click onto the pictures to enlarge.

Eagle heading towards the otter just off shore in the water.

Second pass, I wasn't sure what the eagle was after at first because I couldn't see that the otter had left its meal behind.

Going in to grab what turned out to be a half eaten fish.

More pictures in a second post.

aka KarenH

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Mushka (offline) on Saturday, September 24 2016 @ 12:27 AM EDT  
Mushka

A few more pictures from Monday, September 19th.

Karen H

Please click onto the pictures to enlarge.

Eagle flying off with what appears to be a half-eaten fish, a bit hard to see because it blends in with the beach rocks and the picture is blurry.

Soon after the otter reappeared with a flounder.

And was able to eat this meal in peace.

aka KarenH

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Marg (offline) on Saturday, September 24 2016 @ 10:15 AM EDT  
Marg

Thanks for opening the 2016-2017 Season thread Sandra, this was a nest that you "found". Great pictures Sandra and Karen H. That was an interesting day you had at Chaster Karen H on September 19th! Grin

aka sunshinecoast member since Aug22/06

Content Provider
[url=http://www.hancockwildlife.org/forum/viewtopic.php?topic=482309#482309

Forum

Davis Bay, BC

Profile     PM

By: stim (offline) on Saturday, September 24 2016 @ 11:15 AM EDT  
stim

You're most welcome Karen and Marg for the thread finally being open. And what a marvellous beginning to the season Karen! You got some great spur of the moment pictures of moving subjects! And I can picture exactly where you were when this activity occurred.
I've looked carefully for a band on the right leg but can not determine one. This could be one of our couple or someone passing through.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Mushka (offline) on Sunday, September 25 2016 @ 12:03 PM EDT  
Mushka

Thanks Marg and Sandra, I couldn't see a band either Sandra and didn't see the eagle again after it left with the fish, I thought it might have gone to perch at Chaster Park but when I went by there about an hour later it wasn't there.

aka KarenH

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: stim (offline) on Sunday, October 09 2016 @ 08:21 PM EDT  
stim

We ended up at Chaster Beach on a lovely sunny Thanksgiving Sunday checking to see if any salmon are swimming up the creek there. Sadly no signs of that happening, but a friend told us there were 2 eagles flying by today.
I found one in a tree Ma likes to eat in. I thought if she had had a meal there she might stay perched. The feather on the beak of the bird indicates a recent meal to me! These pictures were taken from quite a distance away.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

All times are EST. The time is now 11:30 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate