Forum Index > Eagle Nests Across North America - and the World > Nests in BC - with Ground Observers
 Oak Bay Eagles - 2016/2017 Season
 |  Printable Version
By: sassyk (offline) on Sunday, September 04 2016 @ 07:48 PM EDT (Read 407 times)  
sassyk

Welcome to the Oak Bay Eagles thread for the 2016/2017 season. There are 3 nests in the Municipality of Oak Bay, known as the Fire Hall, Golf Course and Anderson Hill nests, that have been monitored by the locals for many years. During past years, the eagles in these nests have produced many young and we look forward to another successful season for these eagles. Information and photos from past seasons can be found here. Please feel welcome to post your observations and photos of the eagles that inhabit these nests if you visit their nest area.

One touch of nature makes the whole world kin. ~ William Shakespeare
Member since June 2006

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: elle (offline) on Friday, September 16 2016 @ 04:25 PM EDT  
elle

I have toured the 3 Oak Bay nests several times in the last 10 days or so and had a good look at Anderson Hill, Oak Bay Marina , Glen Lyon and Cattle Point and there have been no sightings of any eagles yet.
My " eyes and ears" in Oak Bay tell me they have not seen any either. Soon I hope.

We and the animals are in the same boat. We're one family, really. - Jane Goodall

Member since August 2006

Forum

Victoria, BC, Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: elle (offline) on Friday, September 23 2016 @ 08:05 PM EDT  
elle

This afternoon there was a bald eagle perched on the post at Trial Island. This is my first sighting. And I did not have a camera with me......................Sad

We and the animals are in the same boat. We're one family, really. - Jane Goodall

Member since August 2006

Forum

Victoria, BC, Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: elle (offline) on Saturday, October 01 2016 @ 10:59 AM EDT  
elle

Did the Oak Bay nest circuit yesterday afternoon and did not see any eagles.

Member since August 2006

Forum

Victoria, BC, Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: elle (offline) on Monday, October 03 2016 @ 08:14 PM EDT  
elle

Ian saw one of the York Place eagles perched on top of the giant sequoia in the cul-de-sac this afternoon. He did not have a camera Sad

Member since August 2006

Forum

Victoria, BC, Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: sassyk (offline) on Tuesday, October 04 2016 @ 11:57 AM EDT  
sassyk

Dawn, one of Marie's contacts, told her she has seen both eagles back in the nest behind the Fire Hall, doing nestorations. She can see the nest from her kitchen window WooHoo

Member since June 2006

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: elle (offline) on Tuesday, October 04 2016 @ 12:27 PM EDT  
elle

OOH. Interesting, Kay. The last time I checked York Place there were several men from a development company looking at the vacant property half way down on the right. Sad So I hope the eagles do nest at the Fire Hall again as construction seems to have ceased there for the time being.fingers crossed

Member since August 2006

Forum

Victoria, BC, Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: sassyk (offline) on Tuesday, October 04 2016 @ 10:43 PM EDT  
sassyk

I visited all 3 nests today. The female from the Fire Hall nest was perched at the top of the big tree across from the nest site. I took a couple of photos while I was standing in the parking lot beside the fire hall. A short while later she flew off towards Beach Dr. I did not see her or the male from Prospect Pl. or in the trees at the private school.

While standing under the big perch tree across from the golf course, one of the eagles flew over and landed in the lower nest. I think it was the male and he was eating something. He hopped up to a branch above the nest to clean his beak then hopped up to a higher branch. He sat there for a good 1/2 hour then flew very low over the golf course. I saw an eagle flying over the road in front of me as I drove towards Anderson Hill and it landed in the tree beside the newer house, overlooking the ocean. It could have been the same eagle.

There were no eagles anywhere near the Anderson Hill nest or on Trial Island.

I will be back later with a few photos.

Member since June 2006

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

All times are EST. The time is now 04:00 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate