Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - All Eagle Nests With Ground Observers
 Roberts Bay Bald Eagles -Sidney BC- 2016-2017 Season
 |  Printable Version
By: rainna4 (offline) on Thursday, June 08 2017 @ 10:15 AM EDT  
rainna4

Quote by: karenbills

ATTENTION: Lynda has been interviewed by phone re the Red-tail in the eagle nest. It will be on CHEK News Victoria this evening. Also the Vancouver Sun/Province just contacted me as well for a story they are doing which should be in tomorrow's papers. So watch for those items.

CONFIRMATION REQUESTER:

Hello karenbills, I wanted to check with you to verify if it's ok to post some of your good folks information over at the Chatters Nest forum board? We are all very interested and I have added some information and links from your board to ours. I'm not sure if this is mentioned in the rules from HWF, so thought I would just ask you so I'm not stepping on any talons. I give credit and quotes for who the information is given from. Thank you for your expertise

This is the most interesting situation and it's just fantastic to have witness accounts, video's by so many of you. It's very exciting!

rainna

Ability
is what you're capable of doing.
Motivation
determines what you do.
Attitude
determines how well you do it.
author unknown

AKA: Sandy D

Forum

Wisconsin

Profile Email   PM

By: elle (offline) on Thursday, June 08 2017 @ 11:35 AM EDT  
elle

Kay: I expected you would visit yesterday and too bad you didn't get on TV. I am sure you would have loved that. I hope to get out there tomorrow.
I have to say I am concerned about the number of people showing up for this unusual event . I regard it as a form of harassment but what can you do? I hope the eagles and neighbours are not unduly upset. They are used to a pretty quiet and private life.
I have just had a call from a friend who told me Dr David Bird was just interviewed on CBC by Gregor Craigie and Dr Bird asked people to be respectful of the neighbours who are getting upset with all the media and press and activity this sensation is causing. I asked that, too, at the very start.
Please be mindful.

Compassion is the most powerful weapon against negative forces.

Member since August 2006

Forum

Victoria, BC, Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: sassyk (offline) on Thursday, June 08 2017 @ 12:28 PM EDT  
sassyk

I finally got my last video from yesterday uploaded last night. My friend and I were so pleased that the little hawk chick was up and active just before we left.

3 big eaglets & a little hawk chick!

elle My nest visits yesterday had been planned for a few days. I didn't know David Bird was going to be at the nest site but it was wonderful to see and chat with him again. He said he had contacted some other media people but hadn't heard back from them. Neither my friend nor I wanted to be on TV and were relieved that he interviewed others before he came back to us. I have no control over what others do and I have no right to tell people they can't visit nest sites. Neither do you. I chat with many of the residents in the area and none of them have ever indicated that they are annoyed with people coming around to watch and photograph the eagles. They love the eagles and are happy that others do as well.

Never put both feet in your mouth at the same time, because
then you won't have a leg to stand on! ~ Author Unknown

Member since June 2006

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: elle (offline) on Thursday, June 08 2017 @ 01:22 PM EDT  
elle

Kay: I am not accusing you and I know neither one of us has control but we can certainly educate and lead by example. As for how the neighbours feel, I am just repeating what Dr Bird apparently said on CBC. And as for how the eagles feel, my main concern is for their comfort and safety.

Compassion is the most powerful weapon against negative forces.

Member since August 2006

Forum

Victoria, BC, Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: karenbills (offline) on Thursday, June 08 2017 @ 02:05 PM EDT  
karenbills

Quote by: rainna4

Quote by: karenbills

ATTENTION: Lynda has been interviewed by phone re the Red-tail in the eagle nest. It will be on CHEK News Victoria this evening. Also the Vancouver Sun/Province just contacted me as well for a story they are doing which should be in tomorrow's papers. So watch for those items.

CONFIRMATION REQUESTER:

Hello karenbills, I wanted to check with you to verify if it's ok to post some of your good folks information over at the Chatters Nest forum board? We are all very interested and I have added some information and links from your board to ours. I'm not sure if this is mentioned in the rules from HWF, so thought I would just ask you so I'm not stepping on any talons. I give credit and quotes for who the information is given from. Thank you for your expertise

This is the most interesting situation and it's just fantastic to have witness accounts, video's by so many of you. It's very exciting!

rainna

Yes, Sandy, you have our permission to share some facts with your chatters but we really hope you will post links to this thread where they can learn for themselves and hopefully register with HWF. We are one big huge eagle family and David Hancock's main aim has always been to educate the world about bald eagles. That is why he was the pioneer in bald eagle nest cams back in 2006 with our Hornby Island and Sidney eagle cams. Many folks today do not know that it was David who started all this, which many other organizations have now followed.

Member since 2006.

Forum Admin
Admin

Langley, BC

By: rainna4 (offline) on Thursday, June 08 2017 @ 03:21 PM EDT  
rainna4

Thank you Karenbills, and I have copied the link for others to see, and judging by the pictures added from our loyal chatty group, we are all very intrigued by this unique eagle family.

I'm committed in continuing my education of Eagles, and very fortunate to have an urban eagles nest 3 blocks from my house, another year of 2 successful juvies fledged. Oh so nice!

rainna/Sandy

Ability
is what you're capable of doing.
Motivation
determines what you do.
Attitude
determines how well you do it.
author unknown

AKA: Sandy D

Forum

Wisconsin

Profile Email   PM

By: sassyk (offline) on Thursday, June 08 2017 @ 05:44 PM EDT  
sassyk

Link to the article in the Vancouver Sun. here

Never put both feet in your mouth at the same time, because
then you won't have a leg to stand on! ~ Author Unknown

Member since June 2006

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: karenbills (offline) on Thursday, June 08 2017 @ 06:45 PM EDT  
karenbills

There's a lot of misinformation in that article unfortunately but that's the way it is with the media who often misunderstand as well as taking the word of those who are only guessing as to what could have happened. We are not supposed to anthropomorphize but that article is full of it.

I am sticking with what David Hancock knows to be true regarding the first instance of something like this happening when a red-tailed hawk was brought into the nest as prey and later the chick appeared. That was 10 years ago in Tsawwassen, Delta, BC. David explained how the egg must have been in the oviduct as the female hawk was dying and then the egg was incubated by the eagles.

Member since 2006.

Forum Admin
Admin

Langley, BC

All times are EDT. The time is now 06:01 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate