Forum Index > Eagle Nests Across North America - and the World > Nests in BC - with Ground Observers
 Roberts Bay Bald Eagles -Sidney BC- 2016-2017 Season
 |  Printable Version
By: annettemarc (offline) on Friday, July 07 2017 @ 04:10 PM EDT  
annettemarc

Quote by: elle

Spunky is a survivor. Mantling over food in the nest; scooting from one side of the nest to the other, dodging his much larger siblings, a maneuver the eaglets cannot accomplish; staving off the eaglets with an extended leg! . You can see by his head movements he is scrutinising the ground for movement and I believe this is his hunting instinct kicking in.

I feel very encouraged by one thing -- Spunky is learning that an eagle is not a submissive bird by nature, and that he's not automatically going to be able to take over an eagle nest and dominate them the way he has been doing for several weeks now. Up until these last few days, the eaglets have been the ones waiting to be fed. Now the hierarchy has turned around. They were patient and now they are not. I've been worried that he might assume that eagles are to be taken for granted, and that he can move in on them without being challenged.

Meanwhile, the eaglets are learning not to be such pushovers. And THEY will learn that hawks are not their friends. If they don't figure that out before they go off by themselves, they may be in for some unpleasant surprises.

I LOVED the part of that 2-hour video (right at the 1-hour marker) where the parent eagle came roaring in from the front of the screen and Spunky was in the background at that same moment, tearing across the screen from the left at warp speed, and he dove for that food and mantled it. He was obviously tracking the parent, and figured that was his chance. He came in from behind them while they were looking at the parent. He did it so fast that I don't think the eaglets had a chance to respond to him in the way that had worked for them on the two earlier occasions. He was already planted in place and in control of the food before they had a chance to get to him.

He was like Rickey Henderson, stealing second base. Smile

Click on image to download

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: karenbills (offline) on Friday, July 07 2017 @ 04:50 PM EDT  
karenbills

Terry has emailed me to say that one of the eaglets fledged this morning. He is on the radio right now doing the interview.

ETA: It was an excellent interview by Terry. Very informative for those not in the know. CFAX wants to interview him for an update next week. Terry also gave a shout out to Hancock Wildlife Foundation.

Member since 2006.

Forum Admin
Admin

Langley, BC

By: MaryGrit (offline) on Friday, July 07 2017 @ 05:08 PM EDT  
MaryGrit

Karen, I missed the interview with Terry! Thanks for letting us know that one of the Eaglets fledged! Did the fledging make it back to the nest?

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: elle (offline) on Friday, July 07 2017 @ 06:53 PM EDT  
elle

Quote by: karenbills

Terry has emailed me to say that one of the eaglets fledged this morning. He is on the radio right now doing the interview.

ETA: It was an excellent interview by Terry. Very informative for those not in the know. CFAX wants to interview him for an update next week. Terry also gave a shout out to Hancock Wildlife Foundation.

________

Right on schedule! Congratulations Eaglet # 1.

Is there a link to a recording of Terry's interview.

Compassion is the most powerful weapon against negative forces.

Member since August 2006

Forum

Victoria, BC, Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: NestFriend (offline) on Friday, July 07 2017 @ 09:21 PM EDT  
NestFriend

Oh Karen, great news about the fledging! Don't Panic I couldn't connect to the radio station.

Elle, thank you for your info. It is so good to hear that you think that Spunky's hunting instincts are starting to kick-in. Hopefully all of his hawk's instincts will follow.

He definitely is a survivor and a very smart and courageous little guy who has stolen everyone's heart. He is so fast, he reminds me of the Road Runner cartoon character.roadrunner

Forum

Profile     PM

By: karenbills (offline) on Friday, July 07 2017 @ 09:53 PM EDT  
karenbills

Member since 2006.

Forum Admin
Admin

Langley, BC

By: Nora (offline) on Friday, July 07 2017 @ 11:03 PM EDT  
Nora

wave I am so excited to hear that one of the eaglets fledged. I was out there most of the day and did not see it!! So happy someone saw it! One of the eaglets spent the day up high on the left side of the nest, I bet he is the one that fledged. So excited about it! I have just listened to the live video from Dr. Sasse, Sasse Photos. It was excellent and this morning the broadcast was incredible as the hawk missed two drops of food by the parents but got the third one. The hawklet is so brave and strong. I have uploaded my blog post for today here:

https://islandrambles.blogspot.ca/2017/ ... -nest.html

Hi to all at the Fledge Fest! Smile

Click on image to download

aka oldocean

Forum

By: karenbills (offline) on Friday, July 07 2017 @ 11:21 PM EDT  
karenbills

For those who cannot attend FledgeFest 2017 tomorrow at David Hancock's here's the link to Christian's YouTube site where you will be able to watch his live broadcast from there. FledgeFest is from 2 p.m - 6 p.m. so not sure what time Christian will start his live stream. However if you go to his YouTube page now and then click on 'subscribe' you will be notified when the stream begins. If you miss the broadcast you can watch it later as a video.

https://www.youtube.com/user/SassePhoto

Also at that time if there is news about the Roberts Bay nest and Spunky or the eaglets, please tell Christian in the chat space of the broadcast.

Member since 2006.

Forum Admin
Admin

Langley, BC

All times are EDT. The time is now 03:07 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate