Forum Index > Eagle Nests Across North America - and the World > Nests in BC - with Ground Observers
 Roberts Bay Bald Eagles -Sidney BC- 2016-2017 Season
 |  Printable Version
By: karenbills (offline) on Saturday, June 03 2017 @ 01:37 AM EDT  
karenbills

Sorry, folks, but when David sent me his thoughts on this bizarre nest situation it was unclear where and how he wanted them posted. They eventually wound up on our Home Page at www.hancockwildlife.org and also in the Wildlife News section of our site here:

article.php/EaglesRaisingRed-TailedHawk

Member since 2006.

Forum Admin
Admin

Langley, BC

By: elle (offline) on Saturday, June 03 2017 @ 10:25 AM EDT  
elle

Hi Larry and Carolyn:
We went back to Roberts Bay yesterday afternoon and got more snaps and video when it was clear and sunny. All 3 eaglets, both parents and the hawklet were there and documented. Also 2 other photographers who belong to photography groups so if you visit please be mindful and respectful of the residents of this quiet cul de sac. There is bound to be a lot more activity there than usual.
Just looking at the pix now.

We and the animals are in the same boat. We're one family, really. - Jane Goodall

Member since August 2006

Forum

Victoria, BC, Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: elle (offline) on Saturday, June 03 2017 @ 10:30 AM EDT  
elle

A couple of videos from yesterday.

The family

The Hawklet self feeding

We and the animals are in the same boat. We're one family, really. - Jane Goodall

Member since August 2006

Forum

Victoria, BC, Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: elle (offline) on Saturday, June 03 2017 @ 10:30 AM EDT  
elle

Click on image to download

Member since August 2006

Forum

Victoria, BC, Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: elle (offline) on Saturday, June 03 2017 @ 10:31 AM EDT  
elle

Member since August 2006

Forum

Victoria, BC, Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: elle (offline) on Saturday, June 03 2017 @ 12:38 PM EDT  
elle

Member since August 2006

Forum

Victoria, BC, Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: Woodlands Bleu (offline) on Saturday, June 03 2017 @ 02:44 PM EDT  
Woodlands Bleu

Fantastic! I love the self feeding hawklet. Thank you......Lynda good reminder for those who go to be respectful, always a good thought. The eaglets are adorable too.
carolyn

Choose joy.......
Since Sept 2009.
carolyn

Forum

The Woodlands, TX

Profile     PM

By: sassyk (offline) on Saturday, June 03 2017 @ 11:45 PM EDT  
sassyk

I had a wonderful time today watching the eagles, eaglets and hawklet WooHoo Lots of interactions between the eaglets the first time I was there, and a nice long chat with S, the neighbour who lives in the last house on the right at the end of the cul-de-sac. She submits her observations to our WiTS co-ordinator at the end of each nesting season. She has seen only 2 eaglets in the nest and didn't know there is a third one and a Red-tailed hawk chick in the nest. She was amazed when I told her that the adult eagles are feeding the hawklet Clapping Mom eagle was perched at the top of the nest tree with the crows harassing her. I actually heard a crow hit her head Mad The hawklet wasn't visible most of the time I was there in the early afternoon.

After going to Pat Bay to see if Ma & Pa Sidney were around, visiting the Muse Winery nest, and having a bit of lunch I returned to the Roberts Bay nest later this afternon. Dad eagle was perched above the nest and the crows were relentlessly harassing him. Mom eagle flew into the nest and brought some prey. She was standing in front of the hawklet so I didn't get a good view of it but it did get up and wander around the nest a bit then had a poop. Mom flapped to the bare branch at the side of the nest, perched for a few minutes, then flew off. There were 2 fellows there watching the eagles; one of them lived closeby and went home to get a stool to sit on. He came and chatted with me and asked lots of questions about eagles. The other fellow had his tripod set up with a big lens. I had a nice chat with R, another one of the neighbours who was out in her front yard pulling weeds. She hasn't been watching the eagles much the past few years and she also didn't know there are 3 eaglets in the nest.

I haven't uploaded any of my photos or videos yet; there are lots Oh My I'll be back tomorrow to post some photos and links to videos.

Never put both feet in your mouth at the same time, because
then you won't have a leg to stand on! ~ Author Unknown

Member since June 2006

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 01:12 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate