Forum Index > Eagle Nests Across North America - and the World > Nests in BC - with Ground Observers
 Roberts Bay Bald Eagles -Sidney BC- 2016-2017 Season
 |  Printable Version
By: sassyk (offline) on Saturday, June 17 2017 @ 12:37 AM EDT  
sassyk

I spent some time at the nest this afternoon, after visiting many other nests. The little hawk chick was up for a short time then we didn't see it for quite awhile. We were packing our gear up when a fellow saw the adult flying in with some prey. Then the fun started. All 3 eaglets and the little hawk were all up squawking and jumping around. The adults had been to the nest off and on and we think prey was brought in but every time the adult would get out of the way and perch on the branch beside the nest. We didn't know if the little hawk actually got some food. It was jumping up and down and flapping it's wings then it jumped up on a small branch at the side of the nest. So it is now a 'brancher' WooHoo. There were lots of people stopping to watch and a few photographers. We spoke to several of the neighbours who think it is wonderful that people come to watch this amazing event. I'll post some photos tomorrow. I also have a few more videos that I will upload tomorrow.

Never put both feet in your mouth at the same time, because
then you won't have a leg to stand on! ~ Author Unknown

Member since June 2006

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: Ccmandel (offline) on Saturday, June 17 2017 @ 06:46 AM EDT  
Ccmandel

Thanks so much for your update sassyk...I look forward to the pix and videos. Exciting that he reached a milestone!

Susan

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: rainna4 (offline) on Saturday, June 17 2017 @ 08:31 AM EDT  
rainna4

Thank you sassyk and everyone who continues to dedicate your time so many of us can view this amazing mixed family! It's so good to hear that he is branching and so, oh so very soon he hopefully will be off hunting for his food and others like him. I've always been informed that food is the great motivator, so maybe not getting as much will help to inspire him further.

rainna/sandy

To teach is to
* touch a life forever *

author: unknown

Forum

Little Chute, WI

Profile Email   PM

By: Truchette (online) on Saturday, June 17 2017 @ 08:36 AM EDT  
Truchette

such a great news !!BravoVery Happy to you lil hawkletRed Heart
thank you so much Sassyk for letting us know.

** E9, my first beloved eaglet, hope you'll have along and wonderful life once you fly away. Harriet and M15 are amazing parents, who educated him so well

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: NestFriend (offline) on Saturday, June 17 2017 @ 10:53 AM EDT  
NestFriend

Great news!Don't Panic Sassyk, thank you so very much for keeping us informed. Looking forward to seeing your pictures and videos.

Hold on tight little hawk and be safeRed Heart

Forum

Profile     PM

By: annettemarc (offline) on Saturday, June 17 2017 @ 10:53 AM EDT  
annettemarc

Quote by: rainna4

Thank you sassyk and everyone who continues to dedicate your time so many of us can view this amazing mixed family! It's so good to hear that he is branching and so, oh so very soon he hopefully will be off hunting for his food and others like him. I've always been informed that food is the great motivator, so maybe not getting as much will help to inspire him further.

rainna/sandy

I keep thinking of a comment I read somewhere that mentioned [I paraphrase] someone ought to give this little hawk a mirror because he has no idea what he looks like. I know it was a joke, and still laugh at the thought ... but it DOES bring up a valid point ... how would the hawk know that he doesn't look like the eaglets? He'd almost certainly realize the size difference, but other than that ... well ...

Meanwhile, this hawk is gorgeous. When he wingersizes, I can see just how beautiful his wings are. Love the coloring. And he's maturing SO FAST!

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: NestFriend (offline) on Saturday, June 17 2017 @ 11:01 AM EDT  
NestFriend

A mirror, now that is so funny! Titter

Forum

Profile     PM

By: rainna4 (offline) on Saturday, June 17 2017 @ 02:20 PM EDT  
rainna4

Thank You Darlene, always great to hear good news about this mixed family nest!

rainna/sandy

To teach is to
* touch a life forever *

author: unknown

Forum

Little Chute, WI

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 01:16 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate