Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - All Eagle Nests With Ground Observers
 Roberts Bay Bald Eagles -Sidney BC- 2016-2017 Season
 |  Printable Version
By: elle (offline) on Thursday, June 15 2017 @ 12:25 PM EDT  
elle

Thank you everyone.
As each day passes we are all so very happy to see the hawklet is still in the nest and still doing well. It is indeed a marvel.
Experts say the hawklet will fledge soon, long before the eaglets, so it will be interesting to see what happens when the hawk fledge takes place. Will he return to the nest for food ? I expect so. And what will happen then? Time will tell.
I now have almost 120,000 views of the original video taken on May 31, 2017.
I am privileged to be able to watch the activities in person and I am more than happy to share with all of you.

Compassion is the most powerful weapon against negative forces.

Member since August 2006

Forum

Victoria, BC, Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: sassyk (offline) on Thursday, June 15 2017 @ 12:41 PM EDT  
sassyk

The final few photos of the eaglets and hawklet yesterday.

Hawklet keeping out of the way of those huge eaglet wings Wub
Click on image to download

Hawklet decided to do a bit of wing exercising.

Watching the kids who came to visit with their mother.

I will be uploading some videos later today to my YouTube channel here

Never put both feet in your mouth at the same time, because
then you won't have a leg to stand on! ~ Author Unknown

Member since June 2006

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: sassyk (offline) on Thursday, June 15 2017 @ 12:47 PM EDT  
sassyk

Quote by: stim

That's my main concern currently, hawklet living with 3 sets of very large eaglet wings flapping and strengthening. It seems to have learned to avoid them quite well though. fingers crossed

Eta...Great pictures of the wingsercising!

Thanks Sandra. When Dr. David Bird was here last week I told him I was worried the little hawklet might get hit by one of those huge eaglet wings and knocked off the nest. So far it has learned to get out of the way, and it can run pretty fast across the nest Wub

Member since June 2006

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: eagleslanding (offline) on Thursday, June 15 2017 @ 04:25 PM EDT  
eagleslanding

Due to the postings on HWF wildlife news it is difficult not to be aware of or follow this eagles nest. Do the 3 eaglets have names? Can you tell them apart? Does the little hawklet have any name or identifying qualities if he/she should fly away? What if the nest environment becomes unfriendly for sibling rivalry? I see mom and dad are differentiated and identifiable.
So sorry if I am invading the private space of the residents holding property of this unusual nest situation. So many questions. How big is a hawk nest. Which eaglet or parent does the little hawk seem closest to. What else does this nest hide inside. Why do the eagles like the back of the nest. What tree does a hawk usually nest in. You don't have to answer these questions. I can see the balance of this nest is something experts do not want to upset. Just observe these 3 beautiful eaglets and one little hawk. A gray fuzzy little hawk who peeped his or her head over the eagles nest rails one day. I can see the colors of the feathers changing. Can't see his feet. What a special nest. How neat for you to see this nest. I live farther away in the great lakes area in USA.

Forum

By: sassyk (offline) on Thursday, June 15 2017 @ 08:03 PM EDT  
sassyk

eagleslanding thanks for visiting this thread. Yes, a lot of questions, but that is the best way to learn Left thumb up I will attempt to answer some of your questions regarding this particular nest; others may want to contribute their comments as well. You might want to access some of the information provided on the website home page. David Hancock has provided a lot of info on his many decades of studying bald eagles.

The 3 eaglets and the hawklet do not have names nor have any of them been banded. Banding is not normally done unless a bird ends up at a rehabilitation centre, and only if a licensed bander is available.

Sibling rivalry is normal between the eaglets. On the rare occasion an eaglet has been knocked off the side of a nest or a branch near the nest when they are exercising their wings in preparation for their first flight.

I have never watched a Red-tailed Hawk nest so I'm not in a position to answer some of your other questions. Hawks are substantially smaller than eagles and I would guess that their nests are as well. Unless there is a live streaming cam installed in the nest tree we have no way of knowing what else is in the nest. David Hancock usually performs necessary maintenance on the cams he has installed so he would be the expert on that question.

I hope you continue to enjoy following this nest until the eaglets have all fledged and left the area in search of spawned out salmon in the rivers up north. The adult usually return to the area in early to mid-October and will gradually rebuild their nest to prepare for their next clutch of eggs, usually some time in March.

Member since June 2006

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: Michele Kost (offline) on Thursday, June 15 2017 @ 09:21 PM EDT  
Michele Kost

I know Christian Sasse is a busy man since he said several time during his live stream" life has its obligations,, but with all due respect we need him back with his huge camera and his amazing bubbly personality to help document such an amazing history unfolding before our very eyes... if anyone on the blog knows him please forward this to him.. I watched the live stream with him and David and it was the very first time Ive ever heard of Christian Sasse and I became instantly addicted.. In my most sincere opinion the world needs his expertise for now.. maybe his family will say " well Sasse you better go to your calling!!
Please come back..
Meant with sincerity
Mikki Kost from New York.
Thank you

"Drumming Hooves, Quiet Ground..Nature's Song of Joy"
Unknown

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: deewerms (offline) on Friday, June 16 2017 @ 08:36 PM EDT  
deewerms

to Mikki Christian Sasse has his own face book page I believe where you can follow him, also I think he has his web page

Doreen Salem, NH
joined Sept.2 2008

Forum

Salem, NH

Profile Email   PM

By: mmud (offline) on Friday, June 16 2017 @ 11:34 PM EDT  
mmud

Wonderful pics and vids by everyone documenting this nest and this very unusual development this year. Thanks. Smile

Yes he does Doreen. Smile

SassePhoto facebook

SassePhoto youtube

Forum

Chilliwack, B.C.

Profile Email Website PM

All times are EST. The time is now 08:23 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate