Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - All Eagle Nests With Ground Observers
 Roberts Bay Bald Eagles -Sidney BC- 2016-2017 Season
 |  Printable Version
By: elle (offline) on Friday, June 09 2017 @ 10:27 AM EDT  
elle

Thank everyone for your pictures and comments.

Kay: If we knew for sure the hawklet would be uninjured, and someone was right there to rescue it, it might be better for it to be out of the nest . As you saw the hawklet is very active and is able to move faster than the eaglets. In one of my snaps from June 2 a parent almost landed on top of it when she brought in food and the hawklet ran forward in anticipation. You can just see his head peeking out between her legs. Here is the picture.

Click on image to download

Christian: Thank you. Your live broadcasts are as close to a cam as we can get. I could only watch a few minutes and then it froze. The video you posted is so clear and what a crop on that little hawk! Certainly well fed. He has changed so much in a week since I got my first glimpse.
When I was told you were back on this side of the pond at the nest and talking to " David", I thought it meant David Bird not David Hancock. Too many Davids. Smile

I hope to get out there briefly later this morning so I can see for myself what the scene is there.

My first video on YouTube taken May 31 has 33979 views!

Compassion is the most powerful weapon against negative forces.

Member since August 2006

Forum

Victoria, BC, Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: elle (offline) on Friday, June 09 2017 @ 11:49 AM EDT  
elle

Also. with all due respect, I question the theory the hawklets were brought in as prey. Would they not have been injured in transport by those huge eagle talons? I wonder if the dead or dying female hawk theory is still a valid one and that she had 2 fertilised eggs ready to be laid. One in the oviduct and one waiting its turn.

Member since August 2006

Forum

Victoria, BC, Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: Woodlands Bleu (offline) on Friday, June 09 2017 @ 01:59 PM EDT  
Woodlands Bleu

Still amazed....I love the photos...Christian cool picture of the little hawk and the eaglet together....I saved it for grins when I need them. I love everyone's pictures etc. While we think this is unprecedented mostly you kind of wonder how much goes on we do not know....a cool thought. Enjoy friends....
carolyn

Choose joy.......
Since Sept 2009.
carolyn

Forum

The Woodlands, TX

Profile     PM

By: Marg (offline) on Friday, June 09 2017 @ 07:46 PM EDT  
Marg

I have posted this on FaceBook HWF.

Video and a picture showing 2 hawks in the nest originally.

http://www.cheknews.ca/two-hawk-chicks- ... rt-329297/

aka sunshinecoast member since Aug22/06

Content Provider
[url=http://www.hancockwildlife.org/forum/viewtopic.php?topic=482309#482309

Forum

Davis Bay, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: Annemie (offline) on Friday, June 09 2017 @ 08:14 PM EDT  
Annemie

Quote by: elle

Also. with all due respect, I question the theory the hawklets were brought in as prey. Would they not have been injured in transport by those huge eagle talons? I wonder if the dead or dying female hawk theory is still a valid one and that she had 2 fertilised eggs ready to be laid. One in the oviduct and one waiting its turn.

Hi Karen, Elle, Kay, Woodlands Bleu, Christian, David and everyone

Thanks for all the pictures, videos and .

About 3 years ago when I was watching one of our nests, which one I don't remember, that had a camera on it.
One of the eagles brought a duck into the nest and as the eagle was taking the duck apart and eating it, an egg started to show inside the duck
and eventually rolled out of the half eaten duck into the nest that had eagle eggs in them.
The eagles then gave the egg a little shove and it ended up inside the little egg bowl where the eagle eggs where.
The eagles then sat on all the eggs till their eaglets hatched. We did not see the duck egg hatch though.
Byebye

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: sassyk (offline) on Friday, June 09 2017 @ 09:35 PM EDT  
sassyk

That's a great photo that Sheri Rypstra took, clearly showing 2 little hawk chicks in the nest. I guess we'll never know what happened to the 2nd one; it could have died from possible injuries if it was brought into the nest as prey. I don't want to think it might have been a meal Sad

That little girl in the CHEK video was cute and a very good way for the young ones, and everyone, to learn about nature Smile

Never put both feet in your mouth at the same time, because
then you won't have a leg to stand on! ~ Author Unknown

Member since June 2006

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: elle (offline) on Friday, June 09 2017 @ 09:42 PM EDT  
elle

Thanks Annemie and Carolyn.
After visiting the nest site today and speaking with the " master" Smile David H , I got a biology lesson and I am told that when an egg is in the oviduct of a bird a second egg has not yet formed so it is unlikely 2 viable eggs in a dead or dying female Red Tailed Hawk would have been deposited into the nest.
And also thanks to the live streaming cams we have seen small prey delivered intact and alive and some have even escaped by running off the edge of the nest. At Ma and Pa Sidney's nest cam, many years ago, I do recall seeing a squirrel do just that. ( I wonder if it survived the 100 + foot drop )
So I defer to expertise.
However, what we are witnessing at this nest is beyond what might have been believed possible up until now and Mother Nature has a way of letting us know who is really in charge so I wonder if we should ever say "never".
I was pleased there were only a few photographers at the site today. All sitting quietly and respectfully just waiting for a photo op.
I was astounded by the maturation of the Red Tailed Hawk in just one week. There is not doubt he is who he is . And he continues to dominate the nest and do well. He is a feisty, endearing little character.
I also spoke with resident Rosemary, and gave her my name and phone number and WildArc and Central Victoria Animal Hospital info too. She was not aware of those facilities and she said she would share the info with Marian. I told her she could call me anytime for a rescue if need be. Let us hope not.
I have not looked at today's pix yet.

Member since August 2006

Forum

Victoria, BC, Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: Woodlands Bleu (offline) on Friday, June 09 2017 @ 10:35 PM EDT  
Woodlands Bleu

Today's pictures are wonderful. Christian I had such fun with your video. And that picture of two hawks is fascinating. So many questions, so few answers, but a heck of a lot of fun in wondering, considering and thinking on it. I like that nature can make us smile in unusual ways totally unanticipated. Thank you for the courtesy of the photographers, the wonderful kind posters here and the family formed over years of eagle and other raptor etc friendship....it's rare, special, unique and why so many of us are here year after year, gasping together in wonder. David thank you for your wisdom, actually both David's....Lynda for your leadership on this thread which went from quiet to Wow!
carolyn

Choose joy.......
Since Sept 2009.
carolyn

Forum

The Woodlands, TX

Profile     PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 06:02 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate