Forum Index > Eagle Nests Across North America - and the World > Nests in BC - with Ground Observers
 Roberts Bay Bald Eagles -Sidney BC- 2016-2017 Season
 |  Printable Version
By: elle (offline) on Thursday, June 08 2017 @ 06:57 PM EDT  
elle

Thanks Karen for your post. I was really flabbergasted by the Sun article. Happy they posted my picture and spelled my name correctly though. I was supposed to be interviewed by Chek today but something came up and they called to cancel. One of my concerns is misinterpretation too. I may be interviewed tomorrow.
Karen: Can you also please confirm the residents are indeed getting fed up with all the attention. I know everyone wants to see but these are wild creatures who have a life and families to raise. They are not in a zoo.
Kay: Yes the residents have always been friendly when we visit but up until now we have visited occasionally, alone or with one other person, and very seldom has anyone else been there. We never stay very long and are respectful of their privacy. It is an entirely different scenario now. Apparently thanks to me. I expect someone else might have twigged eventually and may or may not have publicised it. I sent a video to David Hancock for clarification and never expected this outcome.
Now there is a Facebook rumour going around about there originally having been 2 hawklets in the nest and this was observed by one of the residents! I am trying to get more information about that.

Compassion is the most powerful weapon against negative forces.

Member since August 2006

Forum

Victoria, BC, Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: sassyk (offline) on Thursday, June 08 2017 @ 07:24 PM EDT  
sassyk

Karen I believe David B. said that David H. had changed his mind about his original theory. David B. was also of the opinion that one of the adult eagles brought the hawk chick into the nest as prey, then changed their mind and decided to feed it. I posted the link to the CTV interview David B. did yesterday where he tells the reporter that.

elle S. who lives in the house next to the nest, told me as soon as I arrived yesterday that her neighbour said she saw 2 hawk chicks in the nest yesterday morning. I wondered if maybe the neighbour saw the lighter coloured feathers on the underside of the eaglets wings and thought it was another hawk chick. The only person I mentioned it to was David B., and that was because I thought he should look very closely at the nest when he was there to see if he saw another hawk chick. I was watching and taking video, my friend had her scope set up a few feet away from my gear, David B. had his scope set up between us and none of us saw a second hawk chick. I don't know what David B. saw or what anyone else said after I left. Yes, thanks to you it has become an internet, YouTube, Twitter and Facebook sensation all around the world. News spreads very quickly in the birding community and the situation is so unusual and amazing that a lot of people, not just birders, want to witness it with their own eyes. I will say that I have never witnessed anyone harassing the birds at any of the nests I have visited. If someone was acting inappropriately, I certainly would say something. I might risk getting sworn at or bonked on the head with a big lens but I would still say something.

Never put both feet in your mouth at the same time, because
then you won't have a leg to stand on! ~ Author Unknown

Member since June 2006

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: elainemyrkle (offline) on Thursday, June 08 2017 @ 08:08 PM EDT  
elainemyrkle

Gosh, I hope things calm down around the nest for everyone's concern. Maybe after the newness wears off it will. Take care you two and don't be getting bonked.

Elaine
Bangor, Michigan
Joined Aug. 23, 2006
My avatar is the first one I used in the forum. The cuke eyes are a memorial to our beloved Wendy Minshall who passed away too early in life. R.I.P. my dear friend.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: karenbills (offline) on Thursday, June 08 2017 @ 08:28 PM EDT  
karenbills

On the broadcast today there was a lot of media at the nest site. I was told it is the neighbors who are not happy about this, not the eagles. David was shown a photo of two hawklets in the nest. I think it was last week sometime.

Kay - It is not a theory that DavidH has about the Tsawwassen nest 10 years ago. He knows the property owner who saw the female red-tailed hawk brought into the nest as prey. It was weeks later when the hawklet suddenly appeared so there is no doubt how that baby occurred in the nest.

Member since 2006.

Forum Admin
Admin

Langley, BC

By: sassyk (offline) on Thursday, June 08 2017 @ 08:41 PM EDT  
sassyk

Karen I know what David H. said about the Tsawwassen nest; I have read all of his articles. It is David H.s thoughts about what happened at the Roberts Bay nest I'm talking about. David B. was the one who told me that David H. had changed his mind about his original idea as to how the hawk chick ended up in the nest. As I have already said, none of the neighbours know how the hawk chick got there and most of them didn't even know it was there! None of us saw what happened so we can only speculate as to how it got there. I must say though, that I believe either one of those theories could be correct Wink

Never put both feet in your mouth at the same time, because
then you won't have a leg to stand on! ~ Author Unknown

Member since June 2006

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: elle (offline) on Thursday, June 08 2017 @ 08:47 PM EDT  
elle

What a Pandora's Box.
If there was knowledge and documentation of 2 hawklets before last Sunday then why wasn't that info made known at that time when David H was there.
I accept that this sensational event is beyond my control. It is bittersweet. I hope for the best.

Member since August 2006

Forum

Victoria, BC, Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: Woodlands Bleu (offline) on Thursday, June 08 2017 @ 09:33 PM EDT  
Woodlands Bleu

Interesting! Here is a thought for everyone.....It does not matter, how, or when or why, it matters that it is. So in my humble opinion, be respectful, be kind, be distant and understand it is private property.
Also, give the eagles space, the eaglets need it too.....Then all can enjoy seeing this wonder without sad events possibly happening.
carolyn

Choose joy.......
Since Sept 2009.
carolyn

Forum

The Woodlands, TX

Profile     PM

By: elle (offline) on Thursday, June 08 2017 @ 09:36 PM EDT  
elle

Thanks Carolyn.

Member since August 2006

Forum

Victoria, BC, Canada

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 06:22 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate