Forum Index > Eagle Nests Across North America - and the World > Nests in BC - with Ground Observers
 Ma & Pa Sidney Bald Eagles- Patricia Bay - 2016-2017 Season
 |  Printable Version
By: elle (offline) on Friday, September 02 2016 @ 11:23 AM EDT (Read 183 times)  
elle

Welcome to Ma and Pa Sidney 2016-2017 thread.

In 2015/2016 Ma and Pa moved nests for the 4th time since 2006.

They successfully fledged one eaglet at the new location.

This most recent nest is located on a large private property. For security reasons the property owner does not want the location to be divulged on social media. She has also asked for discretion by those who know where the nest is located. Trespassers will be prosecuted.

Visitors to the Pat Bay area are welcome to share their observations, photos and videos of Ma & Pa Sidney. They are often seen perched in trees along the shore and sometimes even on the beach itself.

We all wish this beloved pair another successful year.

Last year's thread can be viewed here Here

We and the animals are in the same boat. We're one family, really. - Jane Goodall

Member since August 2006

Forum

Victoria, BC, Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: elle (offline) on Friday, September 16 2016 @ 04:20 PM EDT  
elle

We did a tour yesterday of the 3 nests we monitor on the peninsula( this one, Ardmore and Roberts Bay) and did not see a single eagle anywhere. It is a bit early though.
We did, however, finally find the eagle nest we have often been told about that is between Pat Bay territory and Muse Winery territory. A local woman we chatted with says she has lived in her current house since 1980 and the nest has been there all that time but it has not been active every year and obviously there would have been a change in pairs over the years. Last year there was no activity. I will keep an eye on it and if there are eagles nesting there this coming season I will open a thread for them. It is a beautiful nest and it it is in good condition.

Ma and Pa Sidney's new nest is intact as is the old one at Epicure. Which one will they use this year?

We and the animals are in the same boat. We're one family, really. - Jane Goodall

Member since August 2006

Forum

Victoria, BC, Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: elle (offline) on Thursday, September 22 2016 @ 12:03 PM EDT  
elle

Visited Pat Bay yesterday and had a long walk on the beach. No Ma or Pa. A friend is staying in the area for a week and she will let me know if she sees one or both.

Member since August 2006

Forum

Victoria, BC, Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: elle (offline) on Wednesday, September 28 2016 @ 03:45 PM EDT  
elle

Announcement My friend who is staying in the Pat Bay area saw a Bald Eagle today on her way to Sidney. She thinks it is Pa. She will try to get a picture on the way back and email it to me. If she is successful, I will post it here.
I am busy all day and evening today so I am unable to go as I had originally planned but a visit is in the cards for tomorrow. Smile

Member since August 2006

Forum

Victoria, BC, Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: elle (offline) on Wednesday, September 28 2016 @ 04:34 PM EDT  
elle

Here is the picture. Not great because taken with a phone from a distance. Looks like Ma after all. Missing a large wing feather. Very large. I will confirm tomorrow I hope.
Hurry home Pa.

Click on image to download

Member since August 2006

Forum

Victoria, BC, Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: elle (offline) on Wednesday, September 28 2016 @ 04:47 PM EDT  
elle

I just checked last year's thread and my first sighting was Sept 27 and they were both back. My previous visit had been Sept 17 so they could have come back any time between then and the 27th .

Member since August 2006

Forum

Victoria, BC, Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: elle (offline) on Wednesday, September 28 2016 @ 06:41 PM EDT  
elle

My friend's mother saw both Ma and Pa flying together over the farmer's field. Red Heart Can't wait to see them tomorrow!

Member since August 2006

Forum

Victoria, BC, Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: sassyk (offline) on Thursday, September 29 2016 @ 01:30 AM EDT  
sassyk

Good to know they are both back WooHoo I'll be heading out there on Friday. I went to David's talk tonight and he said a lot of pairs on the lower mainland have returned to their nest territory in the last couple of days Left thumb up

One touch of nature makes the whole world kin. ~ William Shakespeare
Member since June 2006

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 06:14 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate