Forum Index > Hancock Live Web Cameras > Lafarge Vancouver BC - Bald Eagle Nest
 Lafarge 2016/2017 Eagle Nest Discussion/Scaps/videos
 |  Printable Version
By: gemini (offline) on Thursday, September 01 2016 @ 12:38 AM EDT (Read 12868 times)  
gemini

Discussion, Observations, Screenshots & Videos - Lafarge Vancouver Bald Eagle Nest 2016/17 Nesting Season

The overhead camera is no longer active due to damage sustained when the nest tree was destroyed during a fall windstorm in October of 2014.

NOTE:
This thread is for Discussion, Observations, Screenshots & Videos solely related to actions / events / occurrences at the Lafarge Nest.

Screenshots and photos and/or links to videos are welcome in this thread as part of the discussion. We welcome all screenshots and videos of the Lafarge Nest captured via the webcams

As a courtesy to viewers with slower internet connections, please limit the pictures in each post to no more than a total of 150,000 bytes (4 to 6 average screenshots), and please do not post animations (though it's fine to post a link to them) - and if you would limit the smileys - that would be lovely!

Cam Links

Sideview - larger version
Sideview - smaller version

Technical Issues With The Side View Cam:

The sun glare will always break up the picture quality of the camera - especially in the spring while the sun is still low in the sky. As summer nears and the sun moves further north, the problem will likely resolve itself. Clarity of the picture at night is limited due to the distance of the cam from the nest tree.

The Lafarge Cameras

Early on in the 2014/2015 season a severe wind storm split the Lafarge nest tree in half knocking down the nest and our 20 x HD PTZ cam with microphone destroying it. The sideview cam located on the sand tower was unharmed and during the 2015/2016 season provided our only view (Other than our devoted ground observers!) of the Lafarge artificial nest and surrounding area.

For a more detailed view of the Lafarge artificial nest site in relation to the Pandora nest and the surrounding area as seen by the side view cam, our ground observers and google earth, please CLICK HERE.

Map of the area showing the Lafarge artificial nest and the Pandora nest in relation to our other nests: (Click for a bigger version)

Click on image to download

The 2015/2016 season

After successfully seeing his motherless chicks through to fledging in the 2015-2016 nesting season, Pa set off on migration by himself. He returned from migration September 28, 2015, first seen at the Pandora nest by forum member Steamer and then on the artificial nest by forum member JudyB.

Pa appeared to be alone until October 15, 2:12 pm when two eagles were seen together on the artificial nest. Looking back, we now think it is possible that we had been seeing the adult we came to call Lady for a week or two before we saw the two adults together - seeing only one eagle, we had been assuming it was only Pa we had been observing. In any case, the rest of the season Lady and Pa spent the time defending their territory, refurbishing the Pandora nest and bonding. At one point ground observers felt they had observed egg laying and incubating behavior, however there were no chicks forthcoming. We are hoping for a more successful outcome in the 2016/2017 season.

Lady and Pa Lafarge on the artificial nest

Lady and Pa Lafarge in the Pandora nest (click bigger)

The 2016/2017 season

Significant Dates - 2016-2017 Nesting Season

Dad Lafarge Returned Home:

Lady Lafarge Returned Home

Eggs Laid:

Eggs Hatched:

Eaglets Named:

Date(s) Fledged::

Left the area for fall migration:

Useful LInks

Nest Adoptions for 2017 are now available!

In the 2017 nesting season (September 2016-August 2017) this nest has been adopted by:

~ JudyB
~ gemini

Previous Year's Adoptions

2015-2016

You too can honor your favorite fine feathered family -
and support the work of Hancock Wildlife -
by adopting the HWF nest of your choice -

Click HERE to see how!

Forum

North Vancouver, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: gemini (offline) on Thursday, September 01 2016 @ 03:54 AM EDT  
gemini

Reserved

Forum

North Vancouver, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: gemini (offline) on Thursday, September 01 2016 @ 03:54 AM EDT  
gemini

Reserved

Forum

North Vancouver, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: IrishEyes (offline) on Sunday, September 25 2016 @ 04:28 AM EDT  
IrishEyes

Sunday, September 25 , 2016.

...Helpful Hints ..Be respectful ..Bev.

Forum

Nova Scotia,Canada.

Profile     PM

By: stim (offline) on Sunday, September 25 2016 @ 12:37 PM EDT  
stim

9:31 First eagle sighting of the season! Wooh My impression is Lady but it could be anyone. Time to get the cam in closer Judy?

Someone seems to have moved in closer. Thank You

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Sunday, September 25 2016 @ 12:39 PM EDT  
JudyB

Quote by: stim

9:31 First eagle sighting of the season! Wooh My impression is Lady but it could be anyone. Time to get the cam in closer Judy?

Just saw it Sandra!

It took me a minute to stop the patrol I'd only remembered to start a few minutes ago. very embarrassed

Added - thanks for the ID and pictures of the Sharp-skinned Hawks, annemie and stan!

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: stim (offline) on Sunday, September 25 2016 @ 12:47 PM EDT  
stim

I'm glad you are here to experience the return as well Judy. Yes, your previous settings of both LB corners will be better for us now that someone is back. For me it's the eyes, those eyes of Lady's, the look of the beak and the full size and shape of the body that make me think Lady is home.

Annemie, you and Stan have come through for us again. Please thank Stan for his quick id for us of yesterday's Sharp-shinned, one who looks to be banded, hawks! Big hugsBig hugs

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Sunday, September 25 2016 @ 12:54 PM EDT  
JudyB

Here's the new patrol schedule - note that the closeups come after the look at the whole roof, even though they're at the end of the list.

Other tweaks?

I'm around for another hour or so, and will occasionally check the other perches to see if Pa is around, and will put the cam on patrol when I leave - does that work for you?

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

All times are EST. The time is now 08:13 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate