Forum Index > Associated Web Cameras > South African Eagle Owls in Potted Plant Stand
 Pot Plant Owls -- 2016
 |  Printable Version
By: MaryF (offline) on Sunday, August 28 2016 @ 04:06 PM EDT (Read 2289 times)  
MaryF

Welcome to the 2016 Season of the Spotted Eagle Owl- Johannesburg!
Also Known As - Pot Plant Owl

I'm starting this new thread as we have several years on the last one. Sad as it was to lose PPO last year we do have a new Mom who has paired up with Pappa Owl and they deserve a new thread! Left thumb up

A spotted eagle owl (known as Pot Plant Owl) is a shining example of how animals and birds have had to adapt to man's urbanization and destruction of their natural habitat. With trees and other natural flora being cut down to accommodate the growth of the sprawling metropolis of Johannesburg, Pot Plant Owl was forced to leave its natural nesting habitat and find sanctuary in a pot plant on the balcony of a suburban home.

-----------------------------------------------------

I'm going back to June of this summer to post what has been put on FB about the new pair so far Smile As I type there is one new egg in the pot---wishing them much luck this year!! Tracey will tell us the story as usual. love

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

By: MaryF (offline) on Sunday, August 28 2016 @ 04:08 PM EDT  
MaryF

From June 21st --

Pot Plant Owl

June 21

A little update from EcoSolutions - let's hope Pappa and new lady are on board with this:
WINTER SOLSTICE - A BIG DAY FOR SPOTTED EAGLE OWLS

For us its just another cold day, perhaps the coldest. We see our sun for less hours than at any other time of the year. Its depressing. We might think that everyone must feel the same way, owls however, don't...

For Spotted Eagle Owls (Bubo africanus) the shortest day doesn't just mean a longer night and - being nocturnal - that's ok, it is also the hormonal trigger that "kicks" them into breeding condition. This is what they have been waiting for all year. It heralds new life, eggs, food exchanges, solicitation, copulation and - you guessed it ...baby owls!

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

By: MaryF (offline) on Sunday, August 28 2016 @ 04:18 PM EDT  
MaryF

Pot Plant Owl

August 21

It's been quiet in PPO land for a while. We've seen and heard Pappa and his new mate on and off for a couple of weeks now. This morning, they are both sitting in a palm tree right by our gate. In the past, this move of roosting closer to our home and the balcony nest meant one thing...the move to the nest was imminent. Will keep you posted

Click on image to download

Pappa and his new lady side by side in the palm tree

A closer look with Pappa eyeballing the situation Grin

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

By: MaryF (offline) on Sunday, August 28 2016 @ 04:23 PM EDT  
MaryF

Pot Plant Owl

August 25

And this morning, we have an owl... New lady is quite calm. I said hello and she looked at me cautiously before looking slightly away.

Here's our beautiful new Mom. I wonder if Pappa told her they had to use the pot!? Roll eyes

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

By: MaryF (offline) on Sunday, August 28 2016 @ 04:27 PM EDT  
MaryF

Pot Plant Owl

August 26

Confirmation of one egg. All going well. Pappa visited the balcony last night and spent a good few minutes looking at the egg from the pillar. Then he hooted...as if pleased...and flew away.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Pot Plant Owl

August 27

Still the one egg. New lady doing well and Pappa is still a rock star. Thanks for all the comments and questions. Starting tomorrow, I'm going to answer these questions as best as I can every day over the next few weeks in this 'watching paint dry' incubation period.

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

By: MaryF (offline) on Sunday, August 28 2016 @ 04:28 PM EDT  
MaryF

Pot Plant Owl

August 28

So a number of people have asked if Pappa's new lady has a name yet. The answer is no, but not from trying to think of one. Any suggestions are welcome.

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

By: MaryF (offline) on Monday, August 29 2016 @ 06:31 PM EDT  
MaryF

Pot Plant Owl

Some fantastic suggestions for a name for Pappa's new mate...thank you all! I look at her from my bedroom window and she looks quite regal so Lady might be a good name. I can't call her Mamma because I called PPO that in private. But Lady...has a nice ring to it....

Sounds good to me! I was one who suggested that! Very Happy

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

By: MaryF (offline) on Tuesday, August 30 2016 @ 02:20 PM EDT  
MaryF

Guess what's in the pot??? Grin

Pot Plant Owl

And here we have two eggs...

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

All times are EST. The time is now 01:26 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate