Forum Index > Conservation  > Conservation
 Implications of Banding and Tagging Raptors
 |  Printable Version
By: JudyB (offline) on Wednesday, July 21 2010 @ 08:13 AM EDT (Read 5137 times)  
JudyB

This thread is being set up for two reasons, and this opening post will most likely change as we explore the topic.

The immediate reason is that the discussion of the injury sustained by the eaglet at the African Black Eagle Project nest we've been following led to a fairly in-depth discussion of an osprey in Finland who had a serious leg injury discovered at banding, and who was left at the nest rather than being removed for treatment - or euthanization, if treatment wasn't a viable option. The choices made regarding the osprey, named Koo, which is a nickname for "third" because she was the youngest in the nest, are worth studying - but quite off topic on a thread about a black eagle chick in South Africa. Thus the posts from that thread that were about Koo will be moved here.

The second reason is that these are issues that will occur more often as more nests get cameras, and more people watch. There are many points of view, and this thread is intended to be a safe place to discuss them.

We know this is a controversial issue - and ask you to take a deep breath and think about the issues involved before responding to a post. We all care about these wonderful creatures whose lives we enter via the webcams - and we all care about each other. We certainly can and will have different views on some of the details - but the important thing is that we are discussing - and communicating - and helping these marvelous beings survive.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: garyandjudi (offline) on Tuesday, August 03 2010 @ 05:45 PM EDT  
garyandjudi

Yes who is Koo and why are they comparing Koo to Bafana. Please someone advise me on who knows:hello:

I love eagles Pa up and Lady Lafarge down on the AN

Judi

Forum

Vancouver B.C.
Canada

Profile     PM

By: golden1 (offline) on Tuesday, August 03 2010 @ 05:58 PM EDT  
golden1

judy

Koo was a chick from the Finland Osprey nest last year....2009. When they banded the chicks there Koo's leg was broken and unfortunately things did not turn out well.....Koo was found, taken to rehab and did not make it. IBNORTHRUP communicated with them and it was very frustrating. This is most likely in the archives. I do not remember all the details but Ibnorthrup did a fantastic job of trying to get things resolved for Koo. HWF has this site in the forum index.

2009 ~ Donna ~ Colorado

Forum

colorado

Profile Email   PM

By: Grubby (offline) on Tuesday, August 03 2010 @ 06:38 PM EDT  
Grubby

Hello...
I am from Screech Hollow as is Golden in the post before me. As Golden said Koo was a beautiful Osprey chick whos' leg also got broken in banding. Here is a video tribute to Koo from last year. You can see that her left leg is bent backwards when she tries to fly. It was so disturbing to see her in that condition. If the link doesn't work for you just go to Google or any search engine and type in ... Osprey Koo... that is how I got this video and there was other articles there too. This was the only one I checked out but will go back to see what else is there.

Have a good day/afternoon/evening....:hello:

Grubby/Diane
Michigan U.S.A.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3aP7VEY ... re=related

When You Share Something Nice,
It's Like Having It Twice!

Diane---Michigan

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Pat B (offline) on Tuesday, August 03 2010 @ 06:39 PM EDT  
Pat B

Quote by: golden1

judy

Koo was a chick from the Finland Osprey nest last year....2009. When they banded the chicks there Koo's leg was broken and unfortunately things did not turn out well.....Koo was found, taken to rehab and did not make it. IBNORTHRUP communicated with them and it was very frustrating. This is most likely in the archives. I do not remember all the details but Ibnorthrup did a fantastic job of trying to get things resolved for Koo. HWF has this site in the forum index.

Koo did her best to carry on - You wont want to see the pics just now - trying to stand with an obviously broken leg - gradually he couldn't get enough to eat - tried flying - but was found in a ditch in bad weather - finally they took him in but it was too late!
Don't read it now while we are so upset!

Forum

Plymouth, England

Profile     PM

By: Grubby (offline) on Tuesday, August 03 2010 @ 06:42 PM EDT  
Grubby

one more thing.. in the title of the video it says.. Koo..'died' well if I remember correctly they had to 'destroy' Koo. it was not a natural death.

Diane/Grubby

PEB.. I might be wrong on how Koo died. I will try to look it up and see. thanks for the info.

Diane---Michigan

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Pat B (offline) on Tuesday, August 03 2010 @ 06:47 PM EDT  
Pat B

Quote by: Grubby

one more thing.. in the title of the video it says.. Koo..'died' well if I remember correctly they had to 'destroy' Koo. it was not a natural death.

Diane/Grubby

PEB.. I might be wrong on how Koo died. I will try to look it up and see. thanks for the info.

True Grubby - but we are trying to skip the details - on a TMI basis Grin

Forum

Plymouth, England

Profile     PM

By: Grubby (offline) on Tuesday, August 03 2010 @ 07:01 PM EDT  
Grubby

SORRY... not a problem.. I was trying to be helpful and informative. Sorry if I stepped on anyone 'talons'. I have over stepped my boundry. I'll just head back over the Screech Hollow.......
Whistling

I apoligize if I have upset anyone here........
Diane

Diane---Michigan

Forum

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 02:40 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate