Forum Index > Other Birds and Wildlife > Wildlife on the Trails, in Parks & Natural Areas
 Kootenay Rockies Area of British Columbia
 |  Printable Version
By: jkr (offline) on Friday, July 16 2010 @ 08:55 PM EDT (Read 40999 times)  
jkr

Kootenay Rockies Area of British Columbia

Click on image to download

The Kootenay Rockies, in southeastern British Columbia, is a pristine region of rivers, lakes, waterfalls, beaches, mineral hot springs, alpine meadows and snow-capped mountains. Four of British Columbia's seven national parks are located here.

Wildlife flourish here - be on the lookout for eagles, elk, mule deer, bighorn sheep, coyotes, moose, cougar as well as black and grizzly bears.

If you live in the Kootenays, visiting, or just traveling through, we'd love to see your pictures of the wonderful scenery and wildlife.

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: jkr (offline) on Saturday, July 17 2010 @ 09:47 AM EDT  
jkr

Here's a photo I took in May of a goose and goslings at Elizabeth Lake in Cranbrook,BC
There were a couple more adults in the area and I think some of these chicks may have belonged to one of them. It seemed like an awfully large brood for one adult which I believe is usually 3 - 7 goslings on average.

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: SMW (offline) on Saturday, July 17 2010 @ 10:12 PM EDT  
SMW

Elizabeth Lake just off Highway 3 at the south end of Cranbrook is home to a variety of birds including the yellow-headed blackbird and the red-winged blackbird.
The coot is easily recognizable with its black body and white beak. The young have a red appearance for the first few weeks after hatching.
The lake is teaming with water bugs and insects in the spring and summer including dragonfly nymphs, damselfly nymphs, side swimmers (shrimp), water mites and snails.

Forum

Profile     PM

By: SMW (offline) on Saturday, July 17 2010 @ 10:18 PM EDT  
SMW

Ospreys are a fairly common sight along the St. Mary River close to Wycliffe.
A bald eagle enjoying the uplift from a thermal high above the Rails to Trails bridge over the St. Mary River.
This heron is part of the rookery close to the St. Mary River at the St. Eugene Mission Resort.

Forum

Profile     PM

By: SMW (offline) on Saturday, July 17 2010 @ 10:27 PM EDT  
SMW

This doe and her two young made off up a path by Rails to Trails in Kimberley at the approach of a cyclist. However, two does in Cranbrook have earned a bad reputation following separate incidents involving a dog being attacked as well as an adult being assaulted while delivering papers.

Forum

Profile     PM

By: SMW (offline) on Sunday, July 18 2010 @ 05:25 PM EDT  
SMW

Elizabeth Lake is home to a variety of different animals apart from birds including western painted turtles,
garter snakes,
and damselflies.

Forum

Profile     PM

By: SMW (offline) on Sunday, July 18 2010 @ 05:34 PM EDT  
SMW

Those of us who live in the Kootenays are so fortunate to have such diversity of animals, plants, and ecosystems. During a day's hike, you may see large ungulates like elk,
spawning kokanee,
or a well camouflaged amphibian, which has made its home at the side of a mountain creek, more than 2000 meters above sea level.

Forum

Profile     PM

By: jkr (offline) on Sunday, July 18 2010 @ 07:05 PM EDT  
jkr

Stewart I'm enjoying each and everyone of your photos ----- until I got to the snake Faint
Snakes give me the heebie-jeebies.

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

All times are EST. The time is now 03:20 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate