Forum Index > Other Birds and Wildlife > African Wildlife
 Pete's Pond ~ Web Cam Discussions ONLY - URLs for Pix/Videos
 |  Printable Version
By: Anonymous: CJ () on Sunday, January 10 2010 @ 11:36 AM EST (Read 6102 times)  
Anonymous: CJ

The purpose of this thread is to provide viewers a place where they may discuss events as they see them unfold at Pete's Pond. However, you may not post actual screencaptures or videos from Pete's Pond on this forum because of copyrights. See below for how and where to post your screencaptures from Pete's Pond.

'Pete's Pond' is located in the Mashatu Game Reserve in the southeastern corner of Botswana and is presented by National Geographic. There are two cams and they are live 24/7 barring any technical difficulties.

This is the cam site:
http://video.nationalgeographic.com/vid ... camafrica/

How and where to post screencaptures and videos:

All photos and videos must be posted on the National Geographic page on Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/WildCamCrittercam

There is also a link directly to their Facebook page under the live feed.

You must become a 'fan' of the page before you can post. After that at the very top of the page -- the tab says 'Wall.' There will be a box where you can give your picture or video a title, and under that you can attach a link, photo, or video. When it is done, it will show up underneath that box. Click on the actual picture you uploaded. That will take you to a separate page of just your picture or video where you can copy the URL from your web browser bar and paste it in your post here. Be sure to code the URL with the URL code.

By: BBE (offline) on Saturday, January 30 2010 @ 10:30 PM EST  
BBE

As we all know, yesterday was Afke's last day at Pete's Pond. On of the long time members video taped Afkes's farewell and sent it to those on NG Crittercam. The recording is anout 5 minutes, some without Afke there.

Afke's final "Tot ziens!" on horseback, her farewell note, and final wave from the ladder.

Tot Ziens, Afke, Thank You! (5:05)
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php ... 4770241927

Also shows on the NG Wall at FB ...

... and on YouTube for non-FB members: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzPPSootbfQ

For those asking about her leaving, here's all we know ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted on January 7, 2010 at 7:22pm

Hello everyone,

There is no easy way of saying this, so Iíll just state it as it is...

At the end of this month, January 2010, I will leave Peteís Pond, for personal reasons. It will be very hard to leave, as here my life long dream came true. I enjoyed every second of my time at the pond. I experienced the most amazing things and met many wonderful people in Botswana and online.

There is so much I would like to say, but words wonít come. So I simply say thank you. Thank you for sharing this experience with me. You added to it beyond believe.

We are looking at one or two of our local volunteers to take over at the pond.

As for me... I will take some rest first, see my family, do some things I have been planning for a long time and continue to live my dream. You and I will meet again.

Take care!

Afke
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Afke did clarify that she will be moving to South Africa and continue to "live her dream" there. She has said nothing about what kind of job she will be trying for or anything else more specific about her plans.

We have had no word on her replacement ... As usual with NG, no news is really no news! LOL!!!

Thank You :cry1:

BBE
"Happiness is good health and a bad memory."
by Ingrid Bergman (1917-1982)

Forum

Nr. Vancouver, B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: Ayla (offline) on Tuesday, February 09 2010 @ 09:14 PM EST  
Ayla

Thanks for the info, BBE.
A shame about Afke leaving and you are sure
right about NG and no updates! Sheesh!!

From Northwestern BC
Forum

Profile     PM

By: BBE (offline) on Wednesday, March 03 2010 @ 11:19 PM EST  
BBE

I am back to multi-tasking with the cams Green LOL Thought i would pop over to Pete's Pond and see what is going on. Picture and sound are better than the last time I popped over in Feb.

At 5:50 am CAT there were some 'fleas' and impala. Then the birds started a raucous ruckus. Aha - jackal coseed the and there was a jackal out for a morning stroll. The occasinal egret flying over, but not long enought to nab a s'cap.

At 6:14 am there is a tree down - maybe uprooted by an ellie ?

wave

BBE

Forum

Nr. Vancouver, B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: BBE (offline) on Thursday, March 04 2010 @ 12:15 AM EST  
BBE

At 9:15 am CAT - a large number of Wildebeest behind the shrubs, but the camera person (if one there) needs to adjust the lighting.

BBE

Forum

Nr. Vancouver, B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: BBE (offline) on Saturday, March 06 2010 @ 11:45 PM EST  
BBE

I just checked in here to see what might be going on at the pond.

There were close to two dozen wildebeest (including some youngsters). All of a sudden they were running off in all directions. A few seconds later in came an extremely large and older one. A young calf was in his way, so he butted the youngster who left in a big hurry, as did the other remaining ones. Then the big one went behind out of sight behind the bushes on the right.

Lots of 'fleas' around too.

wave

BBE

Forum

Nr. Vancouver, B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: BBE (offline) on Saturday, April 24 2010 @ 07:34 PM EDT  
BBE

I have popped over to Pete's Pond about 5 times since my last message. Either no-one at the pond (except the fleas Rolling on floor laughing), a grainy picture or not live.

I am still on the Pondies mailing list and today received this message from Nancy Indiana.

Hello Pondies!

Pete's Pond has been getting much needed rain and has greened up nicely ... again!

It's been a bumpy year for Pete's Pond, hasn't it? Our cam operator extraordinaire, Afke, has moved on to follow her dream at the end of January. National Geographic has struggled to get the funding for the satellite feed. Mashatu has struggled to keep the cam up and running. A couple great researchers, Mark Hardon (elephant reserach project) and Dewald van Wyk (wild dog research project), have pitched in when they can to operate the cam. And, the cam itself has been fickle with it's color settings.

Let's all give a cheer to everyone who has worked hard to keep the cam funded and running these past three months: Kyler and others at NG, Pete and others at Mashatu, as well as Dewald and Mark. Okay, all together now ...
CHEERS!

Thanks for all you folks do to keep bringing Pete's Pond and it's amazing sights to our homes!

Summary of Species Sighted

The list of critters at Pete's Pond has been updated through Arpil 24, 2010, at Pete's Pond Stuff (PP Stuff).http://ppstuff.info/TOC.html " rel="nofollow"> http://ppstuff.info/TOC.html

Species sighted are indicated either as a definite (X) or a possible/questionable (?) sighting. The total numbers of species seen each year since 2005 are also shown. Here's the summary of animals seen on cam in 2010.

Mammal Species
In 2010 = 22
Since 2005 = 38

Bird Species
In 2010 = 60
Since 2005 = 183

Reptile Species
In 2010 = 3
Since 2005 = 9

Insect Families/Genera/Species (or Orders)
In 2010 = 2 (9)
Since 2005 = 55 (17)

Here's to NG finding a way to keep Pete's Pond funded and operational ... forever!

Cheers!
Nancy Indiana [/QUOTE}

BBE

Forum

Nr. Vancouver, B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: Anonymous: CJ () on Friday, May 13 2011 @ 04:13 PM EDT  
Anonymous: CJ

Hi to all you 'Pondies"

I am closing this thread as Pete's Pond has found a new home at WildEarth. So, we will not have the restrictions of National Geographic. I am starting a new thread as the cam goes live at 6:00 CAT on May 14, 2011.

I hope you will enjoy having Pete's Pond back as much as I will.

CJ

All times are EDT. The time is now 08:09 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate