Forum Index > Raptors Other than Eagles > Osprey
 Calgary Osprey 2016
 |  Printable Version
By: jkr (offline) on Tuesday, January 26 2016 @ 01:30 PM EST (Read 54250 times)  
jkr

ENMAX & CALGARY ZOO OSPREY CAM and BOW RIVER AREA REPORTS

Click on image to download

For over 20 years osprey had been returning to build a summer home at the east end of the Calgary Zoo on St. George's Island.
This year, due to nearby construction projects, Enmax/Zoo moved the platform to a new location at the zoo. We're delighted to report that the birds have found their new home and have settled in.

The Osprey can also be observed from the Canadian Wilds area of the zoo, near the musk ox enclosure, or by strolling along the Bow River pathway.

The camera is owned and operated by Enmax Energy in conjunction with the Calgary Zoo.

The camera -- https://www.enmax.com/community/keeping ... he-ospreys

Enmax Energy Facebook page -- https://www.facebook.com/Enmaxenergy?re ... mp;fref=ts
Enmax is also on Twitter

Calgary Zoo Facebook page -- http://www.calgaryzoo.com/

Please keep in mind that the camera is to observe these wild birds in their natural environment. Once the birds have arrived neither ENMAX Power nor the Calgary Zoo will interfere with them or their nest.

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: jkr (offline) on Tuesday, January 26 2016 @ 01:32 PM EST  
jkr

TIMELINE

Calgary Osprey 2006
3 chicks hatched. The youngest died when he was a few days old after a terrible hailstorm.
2 remaining chicks fledged.
Sorry there is no archive. HWF was at the beginning of existence and Infotech in Vancouver was providing a spot for us on their website to use as a forum.

Calgary Osprey 2007
Camera was damaged by lightning and did not stream.

Calgary Osprey 2008
3 chicks - all fledged

Calgary Osprey 2009
Osprey returned April 19th
3 chicks -- all fledged

Calgary Osprey 2010
Osprey returned April 15th
3 eggs laid. One egg failed to hatch.
2 chicks - both fledged.
Archive: forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=45415

Calgary Osprey 2011
Osprey returned April 11th
3 chicks -- all fledged.
Archive: forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=175415

Calgary Osprey 2012
Osprey returned April 10th
3 chicks -- all fledged
Dad osprey disappeared, and likely died, in a severe hailstorm Aug 12, 2012. Mom raised her chicks alone until they successfully fledged. In the hearts of her dedicated followers she is now known as Super Mom.
Archive: forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=342604

Calgary Osprey 2013
April 24 -- Mom arrives home with a new mate.
May 6 -- First egg laid.
May 8 -- Second egg laid
May 11 -- Third egg laid
First hatch: June 14 -- 10:45 a.m.
Second hatch: June 15 -- before 6:20 a.m.
Third hatch: June 17 --
In June the camera was turned off after a devastating flood in Calgary.
Events of the chicks fledging were witnessed by visitors to the area.
Aug 10 -- Michelle witnessed the fledging on at least one chick while visiting the area.
Archive: forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=419505

Calgary Osprey 2014
Camera live April 16th
Osprey return from the south -- Mom arrived April 17th, Dad arrived April 20th
First Egg Laid -- May 1st before 7:00 a.m.
Second Egg Laid --- May 3rd late evening. This day Calgary had a storm with over 25cm of snow falling. Both eggs may be compromised because of the cold.
Third Egg Laid -- May 7th
TRIPLETS ---- Absolutely amazing that all three eggs hatch and on the same day.
First hatch -- June 11th in the a.m.
Second hatch-- June 11th in the a.m.
Third hatch --- June 11th in the pm
FLEDGING
First chick --- August 6th morning -- returned by 9:20 a.m.
Second chick -- August 6th -- sometime in the morning or early afternoon. He also returned to the nest.
Third chick -- August 7th
The last visit to the nest by an adult or chick was Sept 7th which was a day before it snowed. Dad was the last to leave the area but made no return visits to the nest.
Archive: forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=630396

Calgary Osprey 2015
April 14th -- Dad arrived home.
April 15th -- Mom arrived home.
April 29th -- Egg #1 laid
May 2nd.-- Egg #2 laid
May 5th -- Egg #3 laid
June 7th - First hatch @ 9:23 a.m.
June 8th - Second hatch confirmed at 7:40 a.m.
June 10th - Third hatch
August 1st - Two chick fledged today. The third is still procrastinating.
Third chick fledged sometime between Aug 6 and Aug 9th while the camera was out of service.
Archive: forum/viewtopic.php?topic=749645#749645

Calgary Osprey 2016
February 25th -- Notice from Enmax that the osprey nest is being relocated while restoration work is being done at the Zoo island.
March 4th. The pole with nest and camera still attached was moved to it's new location near the Cequel Energy Lodge.
March 11th. Gas leak discovered in the Bow River. Atco is dealing with it.
April 13th -- The osprey returned and are currently trying to build a nest in the hydro tower near the old location of their nest. Two sticks were placed in the old nest box at it's new location but it was soon abandoned in favour of the tower.
April 15th --The O's have decided to leave the tower and move to their nest box with the camera.
April 19th -- Enmax turned on the camera
April 25th - First egg laid 12:15 p.m.
April 28th - Second egg laid between midnight and 6:30 a.m.
May 1st - Third egg laid before 6:00 a.m.
June 4th -- FIRST HATCH confirmed at 5:07 a.m.
June 4th -- SECOND HATCH approx 9:48 p.m.
June 6th -- THIRD HATCH approx 10:27 a.m.
FLEDGES
First fledge -- July 29th approx 9:20 a.m.
Second fledge -- July 31st at 9:13 a.m.
Third fledge.. July 31st at 9:38 a.m.
LEAVING
AUG 31st.... last day Mom was seen on the nest.
Sept 1st... last day that all three chicks were together on nest.
Sept 7th... last day that a chick visited the nest.
Sept 11th... last day Dad was seen. He arrived with a fish and flew off when no one came to claim it.

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: jkr (offline) on Tuesday, January 26 2016 @ 01:33 PM EST  
jkr

Most common fish caught in the Bow River

Who's who ?
This devoted pair show Dad on the left and Mom on the right. Wub
Screen capture caught by BET

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: BET (offline) on Thursday, February 25 2016 @ 02:29 PM EST  
BET

MAJOR CHANGE - A quote from an EnMax Osprey Camera manager

"Because of two major construction projects at the Zoo (re flood mitigation) near the current platform we are relocating the platform and camera to another great location in the area to minimize disturbance (ie noise and dust) to the birds. Once the work is complete we will work to get the camera back up and running. We always aim for April 1.

Watch our website or social media as we will be posting updates as we have them."

BET
Registered Member - June 2006

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: amd (offline) on Thursday, February 25 2016 @ 06:31 PM EST  
amd

wave Bet and thank you for posting this.....I am troubled by the train of thought ....wish
we knew where they will relocate it to exactly, sounds vague, "another great location in the area"?
You know that I'd drive down to check it out and report.
If there is so much destruction/construction going on there in the original platform area, I wonder how
far away do they plan to relocate it? the osprey will show in mid-April and ?????

Bet, you watch Iris and Stan (Judy, JD, Janet, Christine and so many others too).... I thought
the Hellgate/Montana nest did just fine with the extensive construction that was going on there last season.
Yes, it was worrisome at first. But the o's worked it out.
I guess if the Calgary construction is going on right underneath the platform, it is different....guess I should wait and see.

I just wanted a smooth season for our nest this year is all....Sad I know we all feel this way....no complications.

I hope that Janet might have some additional information, with her contacts as well.

sigh....never a dull moment it seems. I know you will keep us updated if you hear more. Thank you Bet Big hugs

Michelle

Forum

Calgary, AB

Profile Email   PM

By: lilywriter (offline) on Thursday, February 25 2016 @ 08:27 PM EST  
lilywriter

Thanks for the update, BET. Below are two maps. One is the Calgary Zoo map, not to scale and then a satellite view of the zoo area. On both maps, in black, I circled the old location of the nest and, in red, the new location of the nest. I have been seriously experiencing withdrawal and now what will I do based on the new location. Where can I go to see the nest? Sigh.

Christine

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: jkr (offline) on Friday, February 26 2016 @ 08:43 AM EST  
jkr

Here I am this morning forwarding BETS email to you all and I should have come here first.

Christine, that is marvelous that you know the location of the move. I was so worried that the nest would be moved too far from it's original site that Mom and Dad wouldn't be able to find it. We have no guarantee that they will use it in it's new location but at least it's close enough for them to find it if they want to.

I have to work this morning but sometime over the weekend I will remove the pictures I have on the first post and we will replace them with the newer location.
Now we just have to sit and keep our fingers crossed that the camera is actually installed before the family returns.

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: amd (offline) on Friday, February 26 2016 @ 09:32 AM EST  
amd

Thank you Christine and Judy ~~ so agree with you Judy, hope they will find it and use it instead of trying to build on that metal power tower, or some other dangerous
power pole, closer to their original home for so many years.
I am adding a s'cap of the updated blog under where we usually link to look at the cam. "near the Cequel Energy Lodge, near the muskox enclosure" , as marked by Christine.......praying that it is placed by the riverbank and not further inland. I love Janet's beautiful picture!

--you can click on it if the writing is too small, I tried to enlarge it but it isn't working.

Michelle

Forum

Calgary, AB

Profile Email   PM

All times are EST. The time is now 04:15 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate