Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Other North American Eagle Cams
 Fort St. Vrain, Colorado - Bald Eagle Cam - 2010
 |  Printable Version
By: JudyB (online) on Sunday, January 10 2010 @ 01:21 AM EST (Read 53538 times)  
JudyB

Fort St. Vrain, Colorado - Bald Eagle Cam

http://birdcam.xcelenergy.com/eagle.html
Click on the "View Live Video" link under the updating picture of the nest, then click "Eagle Cam" in the window that pops up - I haven't found a way to make a more direct link. The cam is solar-powered, so will be shut down from dusk to dawn to conserve power and might be a bit uncertain on very dark days. They also have issues with their video from time to time. There are photos for the day saved in four-minute increments, so you can see what has happened in the previous 24 hours. They have a second camera which doesn't seem to be streaming very often, but has pictures in the archives, and have been trying to get sound to work as well - so keep your fingers crossed! The cam is often offline during the fall and winter, and is back online in February.

This nest is at Xcel Energy's Fort St. Vrain Power Station in Platteville, Colorado. Local time is Mountain time. The nest is 6 feet wide and 5 feet deep, and has been active for years. The camera was installed in 2003. This pair successfully raised 3 chicks in 2008, 2 chicks in 2007, 3 in 2006, and 2 in most of the previous years that they've been watched. The nest failed quite tragically in 2009, when their three eggs hatched in late March, but all three chicks died April 17; apparently one of the parents was lost or incapacitated around April 14, and the remaining parent wasn't able to keep the eaglets warm and fed during a bad wind/rain/snow storm; a second adult was seen shortly thereafter, leading to speculation that one of the adults might have eaten a poisoned prairie dog and been unable to function for a few days. We are hoping for a better season this year.

Update - it appears that we have a new female this year, possibly a relatively young adult as there appear to be a few brown feathers remaining in her head. The male appears to be the same as last year, though it is hard to tell. Both eagles are banded, but the cam resolution isn't great enough to see numbers on the bands.

Based past experience for this pair, look for eggs in the first half of March, chicks in mid-April, and fledging in early July.

2009-2010 Season:

• cam on: December 7
  • eggs laid: February 14, ~6 pm; February 17, ~6 pm
  • hatched: March 25, ~9:38 am (39 days); seen March 26, 7:50 am (37 days)
  • fledged: by June 11 (77-78 days); they were branching on June 6, and not seen much by the 10th, so one or both may have fledged before the 11th.
  • cam off: July 15; both were seen in the nest before the cam went off (~16 weeks old, ~5 weeks after fledging)

(Information from Xcel Energy and the BirdCam Forum)

Link to last year's thread for the Fort St. Vrain bald eagle cam

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: Anonymous: CAL04 () on Saturday, January 30 2010 @ 05:23 PM EST  
Anonymous: CAL04

wave Fort St. Vrain,

3:00 pm. MST,
Working the nest.
Click on image to download

ETA: Direct link to camera side view: Fort St. Vrain

By: Anonymous: CAL04 () on Tuesday, February 09 2010 @ 07:11 PM EST  

4:07 p.m., On the nest.
Click on image to download

By: Anonymous: CAL04 () on Saturday, February 13 2010 @ 07:49 PM EST  

About 4:30 p.m. MST,
Click on image to download Click on image to download

They had both been on the nest.

By: golden1 (offline) on Saturday, February 13 2010 @ 08:20 PM EST  
golden1

This nest is about 40 miles north of me and I am pleased to see that it is an active nest again.....I checked it out earlier and nothing was posted.....

2009 ~ Donna ~ Colorado

Forum

colorado

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (online) on Saturday, February 13 2010 @ 09:35 PM EST  
JudyB

Welcome to the thread, Donna! Welcome

The eagles do seem to be spending more time in the nest lately, so we're hoping they're on track for some eggs in the next few weeks.

And it's great to have someone from the area to join in the discussion - one can read about an area, but it's so much better to hear from someone who's been there! Grin

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: Anonymous: CAL04 () on Sunday, February 14 2010 @ 05:22 AM EST  

wave Hi Donna, Great to have you here with us!

Another nice thing about the Fort St. Vrain cam site is their "Daily Pix" record:

http://birdcam.xcelenergy.com/eagle_day.asp?TOD=53

By: golden1 (offline) on Sunday, February 14 2010 @ 08:27 PM EST  
golden1

I've been observing the w va nest most of the day. checked the daily cam at this nest after dark.

It snowed over night. Snow melted by noon. There was much activity at this nest today.

1:20 to 2:00 1 then 2 eagles in the nest. They moved sticks around and stood looking in the bowl and out over the countryside.

2:00 to 3:00 both eagles remained in the nest....beaking, and moving bedding and sticks.

3:00 to 4:00 2 in the nest until 3:10 then 1. It laid down in the nest at 3:40 and continued to lay in the nest when the other eagle returned at 4:20 then flies out of the nest. both eagles are in the nest again until dark at about 5:30.

I am excited that there is a pair of nesting eagles here for the 2010 season...I look for eggs here soon as the other nesting pairs in this area seem to begin around this time of the year....

2009 ~ Donna ~ Colorado

Forum

colorado

Profile Email   PM

All times are EST. The time is now 09:13 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate