Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Other North American Eagle Cams
 Blackwater Refuge MD - 2016 - Bald Eagle Cam
 |  Printable Version
By: Lonette (offline) on Wednesday, November 18 2015 @ 02:39 PM EST (Read 19654 times)  
Lonette

Hello everyone and welcome to the 2016 Blackwater Refuge Bald Eagle Cam thread. This is the place where memories will be made by all who stop in to visit. There is always so much joy and friendship here and we so very much look forward to sharing Mom and Dad Blackwater and their family with everyone.

To watch the cam, please click on the link. Blackwater NWR Eagle Cam

The camera has frequently updating still shots, and uses infrared technology to provide "night vision." During last year's nest season, the cam was turned off from 11 pm - 3 am to reduce bandwidth expenses. We were told that the Refuge was working on the possibility of providing a live cam feed this year. No final word as of yet.

The nest is located in the Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge on Maryland's Eastern Shore. This is one of the first nests to have a cam, and has been online since 2005. The pair has successfully raised three chicks in 2005, and two each from 2006 through 2010. The pair successfully raised three chicks in 2011. In 2012, tragedy struck at the nest on February 26, two eight-day old chicks were killed by an intruder eagle at the nest. In 2013, Mom Blackwater laid three eggs. The chick from the third egg succumbed, but Mom and Dad raised two beautiful chicks from hatching to the time they fledged and were taught to care for themselves; the two were named Talon and Soar through a contest by Blackwater Refuge. Mom laid three eggs during the 2013 - 2014 season. Two of the eggs hatched and were named Chaser and Glider through the annual eaglet naming contest.

In 2015, three eggs were laid. Two hatched, the third egg was not viable. Our season was short as both chicks succumbed. Our group of Blackwater Buds wanted to give the smallest chick a name when he passed, so we called him Abe. Here is a link for you. Abe

Our good friend WoodlandBleu suggested that we name the firstborn chick Dora. Dora thrived under the care of her doting parents, and became Dora the Explorer as she began moving out of the nest bowl. During one evening, Dora was out of the nest bowl when Dad took a turn on the nest to brood. Dora did not get back in the bowl, and succumbed to the cold. Here is a link for you. Dora

Happier times at the nest:
Click on image to download
Photo by JudyB

Photo by kittycatldy

Sometimes our parents like to visit the Blackwater Refuge Osprey Nest. They spend time here while they are preparing their nest. You might even catch them having a meal!

We look forward to seeing you throughout this nesting season!

“Our power of perseverance is as that of an eagle. We soar above our challengers.” Ellen J. Barrier

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Lonette (offline) on Wednesday, November 18 2015 @ 02:41 PM EST  
Lonette

Nest Events

cam on: November 30, 2015

adults in area: Mid-November 2015 the pair was seen on the BW osprey nest platform.

eggs laid: First egg: Seen the morning of January 25, 2016; may have been laid the night of January 24. Second Egg: First seen the morning of January 29; may have been laid the night of January 28.

And this is where our season ended this year.

As always, the parents were attentive to the eggs, staying on them, switching every couple of hours or so. However, there were also periods of time where the pair was very much alert, calling out from the nest, and the eggs were left uncovered for a period of time. On February 10, it snowed and the eggs were left uncovered for an entire night. The eggs would not be viable.

It appeared from videos and pictures taken by those on this forum that there were intruders in the area once again this year. There was concern that because Mom Blackwater had not returned to the nest at all that she had been injured, perhaps fighting one of the intruders.

We began seeing the pair on the osprey nest platform and once and a while on the nest. We wondered: Did Dad find a new mate or was the female that returned with him actually Mom Blackwater. It appeared that she had an injury to her beak or a mark that Mom Blackwater did not have.

There are really no answers to the questions. We continued to watch both the osprey platform and the eagles' nest and Mom(?) and Dad are in the area still as of 3/1/16.

“Our power of perseverance is as that of an eagle. We soar above our challengers.” Ellen J. Barrier

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Lonette (offline) on Wednesday, November 18 2015 @ 02:41 PM EST  
Lonette

Byebyehug

Hi everyone! Welcome to the 2016 Blackwater Refuge Nest Cam thread. I am so glad that you will be joining as we watch Mom and Dad Blackwater. I hope we have a great nesting season and that Mom and Dad Blackwater are blessed with a little bobble (or 2) Egg hatch:Egg hatch: so we can watch all of their antics.

JudyB told me that she checked the osprey cam the other day and saw eagles. So, of course, today I had to look too. Titter Sure enough, the parents were on the osprey nest.

Our cam is not up yet. Here's the latest from the cam page:

11/7/15:
Technical Note
Craig Koppie with the USFWS climbed the tree recenlty to check the cam. We have a bad cable that we need to replace before the cam can operate again, so we're working on that issue. Craig did say eagles had been bringing new nesting material to the nest, which is a good sign.

At the end of last season we heard that the Refuge was working with WildEarth to provide a live cam. Because the osprey cam is not live, I'm guessing that maybe that was a no go.

So, I'll keep an eye on the cam page and post as soon as I know the cam is up. In the meantime, take care!

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Woodlands Bleu (offline) on Thursday, November 19 2015 @ 07:51 AM EST  
Woodlands Bleu

Thank you Lonette......I will be here when and if things become up and running.
Carolyn (and Bleu)

Choose joy.......
Since Sept 2009.
carolyn

Forum

The Woodlands, TX

Profile     PM

By: IrishEyes (offline) on Thursday, November 19 2015 @ 11:10 AM EST  
IrishEyes

Hello and TY Lonette, Carolyn and all
I caught an eagle on the Osprey nest
11:05a

...Helpful Hints ..Be respectful ..Bev.

Forum

Nova Scotia,Canada.

Profile     PM

By: Lonette (offline) on Tuesday, December 01 2015 @ 09:42 AM EST  
Lonette

ByebyewaveCloud 9hug

Hi Carolyn and Bev! So nice to see you here.

Cam is up! Looks like it came up on 11/30/15.

Update on the cam site:

11/30/15:
Technical Note:
We have some interference on the cam that is being caused by either new power lines or new solar panels near the Visitor Center. We're working on eliminating the static.

We don't expect to see eggs until January.

No visitors on the osprey cam this morning.

Clearly we are not getting a live stream from WildEarth as we had hoped. I'm a bit sad.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Lonette (offline) on Tuesday, December 01 2015 @ 10:49 AM EST  
Lonette

I found this recent photo on the Osprey Cam page from November 26.

We recently spotted some eagle mating on the cam. It's too early for eggs, but it's nice to see this early bonding action.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: IrishEyes (offline) on Wednesday, December 02 2015 @ 08:02 AM EST  
IrishEyes

Wednesday ,December 2, 2015

Good Morning Lonettte, Carolyn and all who watch this nest ........ Lonette...I am sorry this cam will not be streaming on WE......Big hugs to you .

Look who I see the Osprey Cam.calling
7:57am
7:59am
One left and came back

...Helpful Hints ..Be respectful ..Bev.

Forum

Nova Scotia,Canada.

Profile     PM

All times are EST. The time is now 06:31 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate