Forum Index > Eagle Nests Across North America - and the World > Other North American Eagle Cams
 Big Bear CA - 2016-17 - Bald Eagle Cam
 |  Printable Version
By: JudyB (offline) on Monday, October 26 2015 @ 09:36 PM EDT (Read 3393 times)  
JudyB

With a big thanks to FlyForeverFree, we have another eagle cam in California!

Click to go to 2017 Nesting Season Posts

Fall 2016 link for camera - YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne5FzUgV46k
pop-out version - https://www.youtube.com/embed/Ne5FzUgV46k
Cam with Chat, courtesy of Institute for Wildlife Studies - http://www.iws.org/interactive_nestchat_allUstream.html

Welcome to the Big Bear Bald Eagle Nest at Big Bear Lake near Fawnskin in the San Bernadino National Forest, inland from Los Angeles.

Here's a view of the nest:

Click on image to download

And this is roughly where it's located:

For those who watch the Institute for Wildlife Studies cams on the Channel Islands, Santa Catalina where the Two Harbors and West End nests are located is identified as the Catalina Island Essential Fish Habitat on the map above, and Santa Cruz island where the Pelican Harbor nest was (and probably still is, but the adults have been moving frequently so hard to find) and the Sauces Canyon nest is and the new Fraser Canyon nest will be - is the island labeled Channel Islands of California.

I saw on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/Friends-of-Big ... 029491602/) that the adults are called Lucy and Ricky, but I have no idea how official that is. It appears that they are early layers, with a possibility of eggs in late December or early January - and unfortunately that doesn't always work out. Again from the Facebook page, they successfully raised an eaglet named Jack (who turned out to be female) in 2012, but lost eggs or young chicks to cold snaps in 2013 and 2014. They were raising a chick named Shadow in 2015, and I didn't find a report of a fledge, but he/she was looking good and was near full-size in posts I did find, so here's hoping that went well.

Dr. Peter Sharpe from IWS noted in their chat that "This nest is at an elevation of ~7000 feet, so it is probably one of the highest bald eagle nests." It does make me wonder why they nest so early - the Channel Island nests are later (though many of the eagles there - or their parents - were imported from further north where eagles were more plentiful when the bald eagle restoration project on the islands began, so they may be on a northern schedule). Here's a map of the US, showing that this nest isn't that much further north than the nests in Florida, and a bit south of the Carolina Raptor Center, in the southern part of North Carolina.

I'm going to reserve a couple of posts to simplify things if there's interest in following these eagles - that will let me use this post as the opening post for a new thread. Please post observations on this thread for now - and let me know if you're interested in having a dedicated thread for these eagles.

Thanks - and thanks again to FlyForeverFree

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Monday, October 26 2015 @ 09:37 PM EDT  
JudyB

Reserved for the Big Bear Bald Eagle Nest

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Monday, October 26 2015 @ 09:37 PM EDT  
JudyB

Reserved for the Big Bear Bald Eagle Nest

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: IrishEyes (offline) on Monday, October 26 2015 @ 09:46 PM EDT  
IrishEyes

THIs is exciting....... thank you FlyForeverFree and JudyB..Smile

...Helpful Hints ..Be respectful ..Bev.

Forum

Nova Scotia,Canada.

Profile     PM

By: Debs (offline) on Thursday, November 05 2015 @ 06:26 PM EST  
Debs

The Big Bear Bald Eagle Nest ... eagle cam is live ... I watched it for awhile today.

This is a beautiful nest; lots of blue birds visiting there when i tuned in today.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/rbSwEWtScZn

May you embrace all the "blessings and gifts" that surround you in your life ... let your spirit soar :-)

Forum

North Pole

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Friday, November 27 2015 @ 09:02 AM EST  
JudyB

Good morning, everyone! It looks as if this may be an interesting nest to watch, and there's been some interest so I'm setting up a thread,

I've looked in a number of times and haven't seen anyone at home - and checked yesterday evening, and the nest looked about the same as in your s'cap, Debs (except without the cute blue bird!) - but it looks a bit different this morning!

6 am

If the snow stays a while, we may be able to tell if there are visits from the tracks.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: IrishEyes (offline) on Friday, November 27 2015 @ 11:51 AM EST  
IrishEyes

HI again everyone...... and thanks Judy for setting up this thread.

8:46am'
I had a min. to peek in here.... no eagle tracks

ADDed

10:49am
Light snow falling

Weather Report

This is the weather link i used

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/big-be ... st/2154381

ADDED
1:54pm
Light snow........ no eagle tracks seen in the nest.

...Helpful Hints ..Be respectful ..Bev.

Forum

Nova Scotia,Canada.

Profile     PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Friday, November 27 2015 @ 05:04 PM EST  
JudyB

Thanks for stopping by - and for checking the weather, Bev!

Still no sign of anyone as of 2 pm - and I have to stay I still find it strange that they'd nest in late December or early January - but we shall see.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

All times are EST. The time is now 07:48 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate