Forum Index > Hancock Live Web Cameras > Lafarge Vancouver BC - Bald Eagle Nest
 Lafarge 2015/2016 Eagle Nest Discussion/Scaps/videos
 |  Printable Version
By: gemini (offline) on Sunday, September 27 2015 @ 12:29 PM EDT (Read 139314 times)  
gemini

Discussion, Observations, Screenshots & Videos - Lafarge Vancouver Bald Eagle Nest 2015/16 Nesting Season

The overhead camera is no longer active due damage sustained when the nest tree was destroyed during a fall windstorm in October of 2014.

NOTE:
This thread is for Discussion, Observations, Screenshots & Videos solely related to actions / events / occurrences at the Lafarge Nest.

Screenshots and photos and/or links to videos are welcome in this thread as part of the discussion. We welcome all screenshots and videos of the Lafarge Nest captured via the webcams

As a courtesy to viewers with slower internet connections, please limit the pictures in each post to no more than a total of 150,000 bytes (4 to 6 average screenshots), and please do not post animations (though it's fine to post a link to them) - and if you would limit the smileys - that would be lovely!

Cam Links

Sideview - larger version
Sideview - smaller version

The Camera

Early on in the 2014/2015 season a severe wind storm split the Lafarge nest tree in half knocking down the nest and our 20 x HD PTZ cam with microphone destroying it. The sideview cam located on the sand tower was unharmed which allowed HWF and Lafarge to continue coverage of the artificial nest. Even though the nest was gone and Ma and Pa Lafarge decided to return to Pandora street to rework their old nest, they both continued to defend their territory often perching for long periods of time on the artificial nest. Consequently the decision was made to continue coverage of the artificial nest with the sideview camera for the rest of the 2015 season and will continue on into the 2015/2016 season.

Technical Issues With The Side View Cam:

The sun glare will always break up the picture quality of the camera - especially in the spring while the sun is still low in the sky. As summer nears and the sun moves further north, the problem will likely resolve itself. Clarity of the picture at night is limited due to the distance of the cam from the nest tree.

The 2014/2015 season

Aside from the loss of the nest tree, the season was very tragic for the Lafarge pair. In an excerpt from a message to forum members, David Hancock described the unfortunate events as they unfolded:

“The Lafarge territory and pair of eagles have had a terrible season. Last fall the nest tree succumbed to a combination of trunk rot, a heavy nest and high winds. Down the nest came in a storm including the supporting limb necessary to support that or a new nest. Would our insurance policy of putting in the artificial nest and pole pay off? Only partially to this point. The adult birds frequently use the nest pole perches for resting and feeding but they did not immediately, upon loss of the nest, switch to the artificial structure. Somewhere in this I failed.

However, just up inland was the old territory nest in a Douglas Fir and it apparently had greater appeal in spite of the extra half mile of return flights to the harbor. This pair normally lays 3 eggs but apparently, and of course without the benefit of nest cams on the old nest, it is suspected they have 2 chicks about 7-8 weeks old.

Now a new tragedy -- Ma was electrocuted last evening. The fire department responded to the flaming incident but she is dead. Can Pa keep up the food supply coming and finish the rearing? Time will tell. There are a couple of positive options that have happened with other nests. Pa might be able to solicit another lady to join him. Of course at 7 -8 weeks of age in our relatively warm climate he does not likely need to do any brooding so will have more time for food gathering.”

Pa Lafarge did not find another lady but went on to take over all of Ma’s duties watching over their eaglets, Pan and Dora nightly, as well as continuing with his main responsibility of providing food for them. Pan and Dora flourished and grew to go on to successfully fledge, right on time.

The 2015/2016 season

Pa Lafarge returned September 28, 2015 from migration. He was seen at the Pandora nest by forum member Steamer and on the artificial nest by forum member JudyB. There doesn’t appear to be a female companion as yet but perhaps there will be before the season is over.

Significant Dates - 2015-2016 Nesting Season

Dad Lafarge Returned Home: September 28, 2015

Two Adults Seen: October 15, 2:12 pm; looking back, many of us think we had been seeing the adult we came to call Lady for a week or two before we saw the two adults together - seeing only one eagle, we had been assuming it was the resident male.

Lady holding right wing away from body: Observed December 18

Eggs Laid:

Eggs Hatched:

Eaglets Named:

Date(s) Fledged::

Left the area for fall migration:

Photos to come

Map of the area showing the Lafarge artificial nest and the Pandora nest in relation to our other nests: (Click for a bigger version)

Click on image to download

Useful LInks

Nest Adoptions for 2016 are now available!

In the 2016 nesting season (September 2015-August 2016) this nest has been adopted by:

~ Friends In Memory of Lafarge Topic Assistant terrytvgal (Terry Baker)
~ Charlie Ipcar
~ Deb Stecyk in Memory of SJ (Judy Cronk)
~ gemini

Previous Year's Adoptions

You too can honor your favorite fine feathered family -
and support the work of Hancock Wildlife -
by adopting the HWF nest of your choice -

Click HERE to see how!

Forum

North Vancouver, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: Steamer (offline) on Monday, September 28 2015 @ 05:03 PM EDT  
Steamer

Announcement Pa's back at the Pandora tree!

Could see his white head clear as a bell all the way from the intersection of Nanaimo and Hastings at 1.35 PM Oh My

As I got closer he was seen on his favorite westerly branch beside the nest. Nobody new with him I'm afraid NO

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Jean (offline) on Monday, September 28 2015 @ 05:09 PM EDT  
Jean

2:07pm........That is great news Stan! WooHoo I knew you would be looking for him................maybe no new lady, but it will happen I'm sure. I wonder if he has been looking at the AN at all? I will check the Archives from today! Thanks Stan!

aka mjb
Langley, BC

Forum

Langley, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: Jean (offline) on Monday, September 28 2015 @ 05:20 PM EDT  
Jean

2:15pm.............I checked the Archives..............no sign of Pa there yet...........just those pesky crows. They better beware............Pa is home!!

From the Archives......6:50am.

The AN right now.

The square arch right now.

aka mjb
Langley, BC

Forum

Langley, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: Steamer (offline) on Monday, September 28 2015 @ 05:21 PM EDT  
Steamer

Quote by: mjb

2:07pm........That is great news Stan! WooHoo I knew you would be looking for him................maybe no new lady, but it will happen I'm sure. I wonder if he has been looking at the AN at all? I will check the Archives from today! Thanks Stan!

Maybe he'll show up today in archives Jean Chin...... If not I'm sure he'll make a trip to the AN today at some point Nodding yes

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Monday, September 28 2015 @ 05:25 PM EDT  
JudyB

2:24 pm
Is it....?

It is!

Not sure if it's Dad - but it sure is an eagle! Smile

2:28 pm
And he's off again.

So wonderful to see an eagle here!

Added - reading back - love the picture with the crows, Jean - though I would prefer they go somewhere else - and wonderful to see that Dad was at the Pandora nest - thanks, Stan! I think seeing him here as well confirms it is Dad, and he's checking his territory!

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: Jean (offline) on Monday, September 28 2015 @ 05:36 PM EDT  
Jean

2:33pm.........Hello Stan and Judy! Now that is weird! I was working on my post here when suddenly there was a blip in the power here, it flickered and went off briefly, shutting down my computer. By the time I got things back up here again you both had posted here again....................AND..................Pa was on the AN! Cheers That must have been Pa...........who else would it be? Too much of a coincidence having an eagle at Pandora and here too............it must be Pa! Well, that is quite an entrance Pa............you managed to turn the power off! Titter

Judy.............so very glad you caught that! Very Happy

aka mjb
Langley, BC

Forum

Langley, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Monday, September 28 2015 @ 05:40 PM EDT  
JudyB

I was thrilled that he stayed there long enough for me to log in, Jean - I really wasn't sure it was an eagle in my first picture with the light behind him - though he looked a lot bigger than anyone else I've seen there lately. Here's the other picture I got, taken just before the more regal one I posted initially.

Added -
I need to head for home - but will try to look in again later this evening.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

All times are EST. The time is now 03:21 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate