Forum Index > Eagle Nests Across North America - and the World > Nests in BC - with Ground Observers
 Southern Vancouver Island Area Eagle Nests - 2015/2016/2017 Season
 |  Printable Version
By: sassyk (offline) on Friday, September 04 2015 @ 05:20 PM EDT (Read 1231 times)  
sassyk

This thread is a place to post observations and photos of eagle nests in the Southern Vancouver Island area that do not have their own dedicated thread set up. Anyone observing a nest and its resident eagles is welcome to post their observations and photos on this thread. Observations & photos of various nests in this area from previous years can be found here.

One touch of nature makes the whole world kin. ~ William Shakespeare
Member since June 2006

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: sassyk (offline) on Saturday, April 16 2016 @ 05:12 PM EDT  
sassyk

A nest I discovered recently which is on private property in the Central Saanich area. This will be the 5th season for this nest and I have been given permission to view the nest from an adjacent private property when I am in the area. The first 2 years and last year the eagles produced 2 young that successfully fledged. The 3rd year there was a commotion at the nest and there were no young sighted. The neighbours said both eagles have been around the nest continually for the past 2 months and are quite certain there are chicks in the nest. About 10 minutes after I arrived an eagle flew into the nest. It was looking down but did not appear to feed any chicks. After about 15 minutes it flew to a nearby tree.
Click on image to download

Member since June 2006

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: MaryF (offline) on Monday, April 18 2016 @ 03:26 PM EDT  
MaryF

wave Hello to all of our wonderful members!!

I'm not sure if all of you are aware that folks here on HWF follow and report on 30 North American eagle nests with cams, our 4 Hancock eagle nests, and over 25 eagles nests without cams that have "ground crews" reporting on them--all this plus threads for osprey, hawks, falcons, albatrosses, pandas, and more !! Left thumb up

We are thrilled that so many of you have chosen our forum to post your observations to help us add to the knowledge base for eagles and other wildlife or just to read about your favorite wildlife - BUT we do need your help to keep the forum going. The server that runs our website and forum (think giant hard drives in a secure place) costs $800/month !!! WOW!! Many of you may have noticed that the forum has been down from time to time because of server issues over the last month. The hours put in by our very dedicated tech person to get us back up and to (knock on wood) solve the biggest problem are an additional cost that may average another $800/month.

A bit of good news - a year ago we only had 3 people donating monthly for a total of $47 - and we now have 18 people donating monthly for a total of $522. But as you can all see we need around $1600/month just to keep the server and the main stuff going, not including the costs for the cams at our four Hancock nests.

If you could do a small monthly donation so that we could count on your help every month that would be wonderful! CanadaHelps makes it easy to set up a monthly donation. Or if a one-time donation would work better for you it can also be done easily with CanadaHelps or PayPal You don't need to be in Canada to use CanadaHelps --Many of our American members-including me- and others use it.

Asking for money is never easy--but we do have a good thing happening here at HWF! We sure could use your help to keep it going. If you can - please help!! Help emo

~ PayPal ~

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

By: sassyk (offline) on Monday, June 27 2016 @ 01:54 AM EDT  
sassyk

I visited the nest in Central Saanich on June 8th and the nest looked as if there had not been any work done on it. There were no eagles seen or heard and no neighbours to talk to.

Member since June 2006

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: sassyk (offline) on Thursday, June 30 2016 @ 04:01 PM EDT  
sassyk

A nest I recently found with a hint from a family member Wink She said there were 2 eaglets that had branched and when I first visited the nest site there was only 1 eaglet in the nest. I heard a 2nd one screeping from somewhere close to the nest and discovered on my 3rd visit that the 2nd eaglet was perched on a branch down below the nest. I visited almost every day and finally saw the 2nd eaglet back in the nest on Tues. June 28th.

Some photos from June 25th. Parent was on the nest when I arrived and flew off a short while later. It had just brought in some prey and the eaglet was squawking to be fed.

Member since June 2006

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: sassyk (offline) on Thursday, June 30 2016 @ 04:08 PM EDT  
sassyk

The same nest on June 25th. An adult was in the nest with the eaglet when I arrived but flew off before I could get my camera out.

An adult flew in being chased by seagulls and perched at the top of the nest tree.

The eaglet is perched on a small branch at the side of the nest.

Member since June 2006

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: sassyk (offline) on Thursday, June 30 2016 @ 04:16 PM EDT  
sassyk

Same nest on June 26th. One adult perched at the top of the nest tree, 2nd adult in nest with eaglet.

Nest tree from a different vantage point, shows the side of the tree with the 1st eaglet sitting on the small branch beside the nest and the 2nd eaglet on a branch below the nest.

Back at the first vantage point where I could see the 2nd eaglet on the lower branch.

Member since June 2006

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: sassyk (offline) on Thursday, June 30 2016 @ 05:22 PM EDT  
sassyk

The same nest on June 28th. From front view, 2nd eaglet's head in the nest.

From side view, eaglet in front of trunk, top of 2nd eaglet's head barely visible in nest.

Looking down at sibling.

Member since June 2006

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

All times are EST. The time is now 04:58 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate