Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - All Eagle Nests With Ground Observers
 Oak Bay Eagles - 2015/2016 Season
 |  Printable Version
By: sassyk (offline) on Monday, July 04 2016 @ 11:11 PM EDT  
sassyk

elle thanks for taking the time to check into this issue. I know how long it takes Oak Bay to process any type of application as everything has to be approved by council. I also know how picky they are about every little thing, not only from working with the school district for 20 years, but also from what Brian's daughter has been going through to renovate a 1934 house she purchased across from the Oak Bay Marina parking lot Mad Isn't it absurd that you can't cut down a tree on your own property unless you have permssion and an arborist has to assess it and deem it unsafe before you can cut it down. But, even when they know there is a tree with an eagle nest on a property, they claim they can't enforce the Wildlife Bylaw, which is a provincial bylaw Roll eyes I'm hoping the owner at 1605 York Pl. will make sure the nest tree isn't damaged fingers crossed

Sounds like the eaglets are out and about flying here and there, and I hope I see them again before they leave the area for good fingers crossed

Never put both feet in your mouth at the same time, because
then you won't have a leg to stand on! ~ Author Unknown

Member since June 2006

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: elle (offline) on Wednesday, July 06 2016 @ 11:57 AM EDT  
elle

KarenS called to tell me she saw an eaglet in the nest yesterday afternoon.

Compassion is the most powerful weapon against negative forces.

Member since August 2006

Forum

Victoria, BC, Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: elle (offline) on Friday, July 08 2016 @ 08:29 PM EDT  
elle

Friday lunch with KarenS and then an arrangement to meet later at Oak Bay Marina for coffee. On the way to the Marina Ian and I stopped by York Place and Prospect Place. The nest was empty and no eagles visible from either vantage point.
From the Marina parking lot at Turkey Head we could see an adult Bald Eagle sitting on the highest rocky portion of Jimmy Chicken Island. We stayed there and watched until Karen arrived and then decided to stay a while longer before going for coffee. Eventually the eagle flew off toward Glen Lyon School and then Karen pointed excitedly at 2 large birds. Both the eaglets were flying together toward the nest! It looked like they came from Cattle Point. They must have seen the adult and were hoping to be fed. One eaglet landed on top of a tree near the nest and the adult landed on another. The second eaglet disappeared. Apparently there was no food Sad
We went for coffee and kept watch from there. Eaglet and adult flew off. And just before we left Ian said he saw 2 adult eagles perched together in a tree near Cattle Point. We went to investigate and saw one near the boat launch but that is all.
Long story short.........both eaglets and at least one adult are still in the territory.
Got some pix and a video I hope will upload as I had difficulty with the last ones Dunnofingers crossed

Member since August 2006

Forum

Victoria, BC, Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: sassyk (offline) on Wednesday, July 20 2016 @ 10:47 PM EDT  
sassyk

I went to visit the York Place and Golf Course nests with a friend this afternoon and didn't see or hear any eagles in the area. No sightings at the private school, the beach or anywhere around the marina or the golf course.

Member since June 2006

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: elle (offline) on Thursday, July 21 2016 @ 07:37 AM EDT  
elle

sassyk: Unfortunately I have not been able to upload the pictures I took on July 8. Sad But my friend KarenS continues to see adults at Cattle Point and from her apartment balcony.

Member since August 2006

Forum

Victoria, BC, Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: elle (offline) on Saturday, July 23 2016 @ 11:50 AM EDT  
elle

Yesterday early evening Mrs York was perched in a tree on the grounds of Glen Lyon School overlooking the water. We stopped to take some pictures. Will be back with them today.

Member since August 2006

Forum

Victoria, BC, Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: elle (offline) on Saturday, July 23 2016 @ 02:47 PM EDT  
elle

The lighting and the proximity of Mrs York Place made for some nice photo ops.

Dappled light
Click on image to download

She sees us

Stink eye!

Member since August 2006

Forum

Victoria, BC, Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: sassyk (offline) on Sunday, September 04 2016 @ 07:53 PM EDT  
sassyk

Another enjoyable season of watching the eagles has come to an end. I wish all of the eagles and their eaglets a safe journey to the salmon buffet and hope to see them back in their territories soon, looking healthy & well fed Left thumb up

This thread is now locked and a new thread for the 2016/2017 season has been opened here.

Member since June 2006

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

All times are EST. The time is now 07:05 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate