Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Raptor Cams - Other than Eagles.
 Osprey Cam - 2010 Creston, BC Canada
 |  Printable Version
By: yalitldevl (offline) on Wednesday, September 01 2010 @ 10:26 PM EDT  
yalitldevl

Ditto to all before me, have a safe trip south sweet family....see you next season! Wub

I do hope though that Jazzel gets an answer for us so I'll be watching the thread

I would rather spend my life close to the birds than wishing I had wings

We are by nature observers, and thereby learners. That is our permanent state. ~ Emerson

Forum

On Lake Huron,
Ontario

Profile     PM

By: jazzel26 (offline) on Thursday, September 23 2010 @ 09:37 PM EDT  
jazzel26

Quote by: yalitldevl

Ditto to all before me, have a safe trip south sweet family....see you next season! Wub

I do hope though that Jazzel gets an answer for us so I'll be watching the thread

Lori, sorry I didn't get this posted for you yesterday, as I promised on MondayOh the shame This was my question and the reply I received, as I said "for what it's worth". Also, they have an equally vague end of season post on the cam site:dunno:

Sent: 2010, August 25 7:45 AM
To: info@fwcp.ca
Subject: OSPREY FLEDGE

The cam, as you know was down all weekend, and during that time the second nestling apparently fledged.  Since Monday,  when the cam came back on,  the nest has been empty, not even a stick has been disturbed.

Do you have any information about the status of the adults and fledglings?  I have never seen this behavior.  I watch 36 nest cams from all parts of the world, and also monitor 30 of the 220 nests in my area for Mass Audubon's Cape Cod Osprey project.  I have never seen a nest empty for this long, so soon after a fledge.

Any explanation would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Linda

Reply received 9/8

Hi Linda

Apologies for the delay in responding - the person looking after this email address was away for a few weeks.
Yes, I know we had technical problems on during the weekend of Aug 21/22...I am glad that the camera was working during the week of Aug 16 when the birds took their first flights but it was not operating when the second one finally left the nest - sorry about that. 
Like you, we were expecting them to return to the nest which is why we left it running to the end of August. In short we do not have an explanation but I met with biologists on the evening of Aug 24 who work just up the road from the nest site and they informed me that they had since seen the osprey family several times in the vicinity of the nest - just not on it. 
Cheers
Angus Glass
Communications Coordinator
Fish & Wildlife Compensation Program (FWCP)
103-333 Victoria St,
Nelson B.C.
V1L 4K3

Tel (250) 352-6874
Fax (250) 352-6178
angus.glass@bchydro.com
www.fwcp.ca

JAZZELwave

Forum

Falmouth MA

Profile Email Website PM

By: yalitldevl (offline) on Friday, September 24 2010 @ 12:01 PM EDT  
yalitldevl

Very Happy thanks so much Linda for the follow up at least they say they were seen just not on the nest. Not a great ending but what can we do right? I really appreciate you trying and posting your results here for us

I would rather spend my life close to the birds than wishing I had wings

We are by nature observers, and thereby learners. That is our permanent state. ~ Emerson

Forum

On Lake Huron,
Ontario

Profile     PM

All times are EST. The time is now 07:54 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate