Forum Index > Conservation  > Conservation
 Conservation Conversation
 |  Printable Version
By: jwnix (offline) on Monday, February 01 2010 @ 01:59 AM EST (Read 16124 times)  
jwnix

HERE WE GO AGAIN.....for the fourth installment of provacative and interesting CONSERVATION CONVERSATION. When Calendula started this idea on the other forum, it quickly became a great place to discuss a variety of issues. My personal bias, as many know by now, is Wildlife/Habitat Conservation and Preservation and how we as humans are able to act towards those goals and find solutioins.

Conservation + Action + Preservation = Solutions

Thanks for the great ideas and suggestions previously. I really like and value the group process here....we each have our fields of interest and expertise, and collectively we have lots to learn and teach. I think the challenge for all of us is likely to be to stay focused on the topic. This forum will be for information and exchange. Socialization and chat can still go in the Forum designed for same.

jwnix
Black Bear Conservation Coalition www.bbcc.org

Forum

Profile     PM

By: jwnix (offline) on Monday, February 01 2010 @ 02:04 AM EST  
jwnix

to get this thread going, I am posting an update to article I posted about water useage. This is topical for me at the moment as I learned , unbeknownst to me, my water meter recorded a use of 200,000 gal of water in 10 days!!! clearly the water company knew something was wrong, yet did NOTHING for 10 days!!! The problem was fixed and I am in dialogue with them as to how they might monitor such things differently!!!

I do several things to conserve water, in a state where we have an abundance of clean wonderful artesian wells, and am oft surprised at how much water is wasted. Reading articles such as the below, raises awareness for me again and again. It so much easier for us to conserve while there is water to conserve......before horrific droughts....
what do you do in your area to conserve water?? perhaps we can get a dialog going again....
Josephine

canada, canadian search engine, free email, canada news
Tuesday June 3 2008

British Columbians urged to save water

Vancouver Sun

Tuesday, June 03, 2008

VANCOUVER - The B.C. government is urging everyone in the province to restrict their use of water, and will introduce legislation to help make that happen, Environment Minister Barry Penner said Tuesday in a press release.

Key actions include setting ambitious water efficiency and conservation targets, establishing flow requirements in legislation for ecosystems and species, establishing a maximum 40-year term for water licenses in areas of scarcity, regulating large groundwater withdrawals, and looking to safeguard and learn from First Nations' traditional and cultural water uses, Penner said in the release.

B.C.'s economy and industry continue to grow, and its population is expected to increase by another 1.4 million people in the next 25 years. In some areas, like the Okanagan and Gulf Islands, seasonal water shortages are already challenging community water systems, and the fish and aquatic ecosystems that depend on these systems for survival, the release said. Climate change and its related effects, like the mountain pine beetle and changing water cycles, are also adding to the pressures on fresh waters.

As a finite resource, the current rate of water use is not sustainable when population and industry growth - along with climate change - are considered, the release said.

British Columbians use 490 litres per person per day - much more water than we need, Penner said in the release. By conserving water, we can reduce environmental impacts, demands on water supplies, water and wastewater treatment and infrastructure, and save money for ourselves and our communities.

Penner urged area residents to relace toilets with low-flow models and don't use toilets as a waste basket. A low-flow showerhead can save an average family 20,000 litres per year, while water efficent washing machines can save money and water as well.

By 2012, Penner said the provincial government will:

. Establish flow requirements in legislation for ecosystems and species.

. Ensure that all land and water managers know what makes a stream healthy.

. Require all users to cut back on water use in times of drought or where stream health is at risk.

. Limit all new licences to 40-years where there is high demand and pressure on water.

. Regulate groundwater use in priority areas and large groundwater withdrawals.

. Support watershed management planning in priority areas.

. Require all large water users to measure and report their water use.

. Require more efficient water use in the agriculture sector and secure access to water for agricultural lands.

. Address the changing water drought risk and other effects of climate change.

. Require any new developments in flood plains to be flood-proofed to high provincial standards and provide $100 million for flood protection over 10 years.

. Report out on the state of our water every five years.

. Require all students in B.C. to complete at least one stream-health assessment.

Close

Copyright 2008 CanWest Interactive, a division of CanWest MediaWorks Publications, Inc.. All rights reserved.
CanWest Interactive, a division of CanWest MediaWorks Publications, Inc.. All rights reserved.

jwnix

Forum

Profile     PM

By: terrytvgal (offline) on Thursday, February 18 2010 @ 08:51 PM EST  
terrytvgal

I was happy to post this as a news item and I think it deserves some discussion ...

Wild Salmon Circle will be hosting another rally on February 20th, 2010 and we hope to see you there! Our focus for this rally (which makes it different from the other ones) is the fact that 92% of BCs salmon farms are owned my Norwegian companies. With the world watching and Norwegian media around for the Olympics, we want to inform the Norwegian citizenry - who may not be aware of the Norwegian companies' encroachment into Canadian waters what is happening here in BC. Emphasis will be on awareness, and not placing blame on Norwegians themselves or to have anything against their athletes.

Click on image to download

I came for the eagles, and stayed for the friends I made

Terry, Coquitlam BC

Forum

Coquitlam, BC

Profile     PM

By: jwnix (offline) on Saturday, May 15 2010 @ 09:05 PM EDT  
jwnix

another topic that might stimulate some conversation....

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/93834149.html

jwnix

Forum

Profile     PM

By: richardpitt (offline) on Saturday, September 25 2010 @ 12:29 PM EDT  
richardpitt

I've just opened a new "Planet Earth" area in the Conservation forum as well as a new topic "Planet Earth"

In many ways this is the exact opposite of "Conservation" since it deals with the problems rather than the solutions. The problems I see being discussed there include things like Oil and Gas extraction, tar sands, human waste treatment, plastic and its disposal, cigarette butts and their impact, long-lining (fishing) and deep trawling, etc.

These areas also remove the barrier of talking about a specific species, or even about animals in general - and focus instead on the root problems that in many cases cover a number of species or even "everything"

richard

Executive Director:
Taking HWF to the next level

Forum Admin
Admin

Pitt Meadows BC -
40k from Vancouver

Profile Email Website PM

By: jwnix (offline) on Thursday, February 03 2011 @ 09:15 PM EST  
jwnix

ITS OFFICIAL!!!

USFWS Will Reintroduce Whooping cranes to Louisiana

The reintroduction of a species in an area where it once resided is, indeed, HISTORIC!!!

jwnix

Forum

Profile     PM

By: birdofprey (offline) on Thursday, February 03 2011 @ 11:21 PM EST  
birdofprey

Great news jwnix! I wish them success! Left thumb up

I couldn't get your link to work so here''s another one.
http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2011-02 ... 1-2367.pdf

Forum

Nanaimo

Profile     PM

By: terrytvgal (offline) on Friday, February 04 2011 @ 02:31 AM EST  
terrytvgal

Here is a link to the story I posted on our News pages.

article.php/2011020323164576

I found it here:
http://www.courthousenews.com/2011/02/03/33896.htm

I came for the eagles, and stayed for the friends I made

Terry, Coquitlam BC

Forum

Coquitlam, BC

Profile     PM

All times are EST. The time is now 12:30 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate