Forum Index > Other Birds and Wildlife > African Wildlife
 Elephant Plains ~ Web Cam Discussions
 |  Printable Version
By: Anonymous: CJ () on Saturday, January 09 2010 @ 02:24 PM EST (Read 8741 times)  
Anonymous: CJ

The purpose of this thread is to provide viewers a place where they may post screencaps and/or videos and discuss events as they happen at Elephant Plains.

The Elephant Plains (or waterhole - 'WH'Wink is located in the Sabi Sands area of South Africa. It is approximately to the west and a bit south of the Djuma Game Reserve and west of Nkorho Pan in South Africa. A detailed map of the area may be found HERE with Elephant Plains being on the far left side, Djuma (Vuyatela) in the center, and Nkorho on the lower right side.

The cam is presented by Africam.com and plays 24 hours a day.

The camera link is located at the Africam.com site :
http://www.africam.com/wildlife/
and on right side of the screen, under 'Choose Your Safari', click on 'Elephant Plains.'

Their forum:
http://www.africam.com/wildlife/forum

General Information and References for the African Wildlife:
forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=567&lastpost=true#567

Africam Viewing Times and the local Weather:
forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=568&lastpost=true#568

By: eiguoc (offline) on Wednesday, June 09 2010 @ 10:29 AM EDT  
eiguoc

I have completely forgotten about this cam
Click on image to download

Pat=photographer & cat mom
Pardon my shortening memory
Member since Aug 23/06

Forum

Scarborough, Ontario

Profile     PM

By: eiguoc (offline) on Tuesday, June 15 2010 @ 11:17 AM EDT  
eiguoc

Lion

Member since Aug 23/06

Forum

Scarborough, Ontario

Profile     PM

By: eiguoc (offline) on Tuesday, June 15 2010 @ 11:45 AM EDT  
eiguoc

You can really see this poor lions ribs

Member since Aug 23/06

Forum

Scarborough, Ontario

Profile     PM

By: Anonymous: slygirl () on Tuesday, June 15 2010 @ 12:35 PM EDT  
Anonymous: slygirl

Hi Pat wave Hi Africam Djunkies :blink: Wink

Thanks, Pat for posting the snaps of the Lone Lion over here! 'Bout time one of us did Titter

I read on FB that there was a Rangers Report regarding this male, and tried to go to their site to get it firsthand, but you need to login as a member, and I'm not (yet!). BUT someone named Liz Brown on the EP FB page quoted it...so I will here.

Also minimal info on the rumor of the dead Styx Lioness.

Taken from FaceBook, quoting Liz Brown, quoting Wayne Dovey, EP Head Ranger (not sure of the actual date of this report - sorry):

We started seeing a lone male lion on Elephant Plains about two months ago. If I have to take a guess, he looks to be about six to seven years old. He moves around by himself and is not in the best looking condition that a male of his ago should be. He has lost a lot of his mane, which is a sign that he is mal-nutritioned and under a huge amount of stress. He has one weak looking eye as well as a bad hip. He is unable to catch big animals and has mainly been scavenging from our leopards. He has also been seen eating tortoises, which is starting to break his teeth down. As with the whole upset of the Mapogo’s; they are not trying to catch him for they are more occupied with the other four males that are running around in the east. This male is lying low and is not attracting any attention to himself as he will lose his life if found even by females, as he is a threat to their cubs. The weak eye and bad hip is a clear indication that he did have a run-in with other lions and managed to escape, although this left him in bad shape. It is speculated that he is one of the Golf Course males, found in the Mala Mala section. As I am writing this, he has found solace in the riverbed right in front of the main deck, in the shade of some palm trees. Salayexe and one of the cubs just came onto the scene and this caused him to dart off into the bushes – he is obviously avoiding any confrontation.

As for the questions concerning the death of one of the Stix females just inside Londolozi, we have heard a few rumors, but we’re not sure which one it is at this stage. We still saw them on Monday. Some say it’s the eldest female, but nothing is confirmed.

Mr. T joined up with the Tsalala’s and on Sunday night they tried to get into camp twice. This morning he was spotted contact calling on Safari airstrip. The huge amount of lion activity during the last few days, especially from the Tsalala’s and also after Kinky Tails death, show that they are unsettled and a lot seems to be happening…

EP Head Ranger – Wayne Dovey

Hoping this is accurate...

edit: OK, I just took the time to register at the EP website...and the last Ranger Report they have listed is April Puzzled ...and I gotta go!

By: BBE (offline) on Tuesday, June 15 2010 @ 04:07 PM EDT  
BBE

Thanks Pat and Sly for info here. I will move my photos / video here.

As Wayne Dovey's report mentions the demise of 'Kinky' the report is from the past few days. I have not received an EP newsletter since the last one I posted in Chat & News (which was for pril 2010.)

Copied from my posts from morning drive to here.

I don't think the lion at EP is Mr. T. He had a 'Mohawk'; which if pulled away there would be a sore looking area which I didn't see. Also not old enough IMO. After the fracas, wasn't Mr. T seen with the Tsalala Pride (whose younger lions are offspring of the Mapogos)?
I only saw ~ One Cat at EP

Yes, the lion at EP did get up (just as I arrived there) hobbled away. Maybe a broken hip joint ? Video Lion Limping Away into Bush ~ unedited

BBE
"Happiness is good health and a bad memory."
by Ingrid Bergman (1917-1982)

Forum

Nr. Vancouver, B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: eiguoc (offline) on Tuesday, June 15 2010 @ 05:06 PM EDT  
eiguoc

Whoopse moving Ranger report to where it should be

Member since Aug 23/06

Forum

Scarborough, Ontario

Profile     PM

By: BBE (offline) on Sunday, June 20 2010 @ 01:04 AM EDT  
BBE

Someone reported to Marc that there are lions at Elephant plains. Indeed there are several. When I arrived I counted 8; but then cam angle changed. And heard 'Robson Males' mentioned.

BBE
"Happiness is good health and a bad memory."
by Ingrid Bergman (1917-1982)

Forum

Nr. Vancouver, B.C.

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 12:53 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate