Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Raptor Cams - Other than Eagles.
 Nelson Hydro- 2015 -- Nelson, BC Osprey
 |  Printable Version
By: SAMAdmin (offline) on Friday, May 29 2015 @ 12:49 AM EDT (Read 38345 times)  
SAMAdmin

Welcome to the 2015 Season...Nelson Hydro..Nelson, BC Osprey Nest...

Links to this cam

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/nelson-osprey-nest

and here
http://columbiawireless.ca/

Wishing Nellie and her new mate TR.. a successful season..Red Heart

Click on image to download
Nellie incubating the eggs[ speckled chest].....courtesy of FlyForeverFree

TR incubating the eggs.[solid white chest[ courtesy Bev...[ Irish Eyes]

Link to 2014 thread

Thank you to Marg Craig of the City of Nelson / Nelson Hydro, and Ben Leslie, COE of Columbia Wireless, for giving their permission which allows us at HWF to post pictures of this beautiful pair of osprey to this thread.

Background

Nelson and the surrounding areas are blessed with living close to nature. However, providing electrical services can be challenging for Nelson Hydro because of the close interaction with the many forms of wildlife that occupy our area.

One common interaction is with the bird population. Birds of prey, Ospreys in particular, tend to choose nesting sites that are high up, and near a reliable food source. Many times they choose the top of a Nelson Hydro power pole to build their nest. The crossarms at the top of the pole make an excellent base for a building platform.

This practice can, and has, resulted in negative impact for Nelson Hydro and its customers, and more seriously for the birds attempting to construct a nest on the pole. One misplaced or dropped stick during the construction of the nest can trip the power circuit, resulting in a power outage for customers, and lost time for the Line Crew locating and correcting the cause of the outage. More serious is the possible injury to the bird involved.

One such site in particular has been notorious for this type of problem over the years. The power pole is high above Kootenay River at Grohman Narrows, an excellent vantage point for fishing, so is an ideal location for an Osprey nest. The nest is visible from the highway.

So in an attempt to avoid the usual outages at this location, and more importantly to avoid injuries to the nesting Ospreys, a separate pole has been installed, complete with a pallet and bracing at the top for a nest to be built upon. Shortly after the pole and nesting platform were placed, the Ospreys put the structure to use and constructed their nest, safely away from the existing energized pole. They now have a safe location with the same advantages as the power pole but with none of the associated hazards.

Nelson Hydro is proud of this installation because it shows that there can be a symbiotic relationship between the utility and nature if some planning and forethought are put in place. It's a small price to pay back to nature for the enjoyment that the Ospreys bring to us all on a daily basis.

Enjoy the nest cam and follow the progress of the Osprey family.
Nelson is on DST the same as our HWF west coast eagle cams

Time LIne

Cam on .......May 28...... Female sitting on three eggs

Eggs Laid:
Egg #1 - May 12
Egg #2 - May 15
Egg #3 - May 18

Eggs Hatched: Egg #1 June19 at 2:13pm[38days]...Egg # 2 June 21 at 4:09am [ 37days old]... Egg # 3 didn't hatch.... added by Irish Eyes

Eaglets Named:
"NAMES FOR CHICKS Columbia Wireless has picked two name for our chicks. O1 is now Arrow and O2 is Bonnie. Bonnie comes from the Bonnington Falls just down from the nest where Hydro gets power from. Arrow is one of the lakes in the area.".. added by Irish Eyes

Fledged..Arrow 55 days old at 10:02am Aug.13, 2015... HERE

Bonnie 57days old fledged at 11:47am Aug.17, 2015.... HERE

Left the area for fall migration:

Nellie.... we think Sept.16, 2015 .. some say Sept.17....

Arrow..... Sept. 17, 2015, .90days old ..... he was heard... but not seen that day or after either.

Bonnie..Sept.21, 2015..92days old. HERE

TR....Sept.21,2015...HERE

Forum Admin
Admin

By: SAMAdmin (offline) on Friday, May 29 2015 @ 12:49 AM EDT  
SAMAdmin

Reserved

Posted by Irish Eyes.

Nellie on the nest Sept.14... I am parking this here for now...

forum/viewtopic.php?topic=813009#813009

Forum Admin
Admin

By: SAMAdmin (offline) on Friday, May 29 2015 @ 12:50 AM EDT  
SAMAdmin

reserved

Forum Admin
Admin

By: SAMAdmin (offline) on Friday, May 29 2015 @ 12:56 AM EDT  
SAMAdmin

Post By: FlyForeverFree (offline) on Thursday, May 28 2015 @ 06:23 PM PDT

May 28, 2015

I'm not sure how many eggs, but I did see EGGS !!!

6:16pm

6:26pm - looks like 3 EGGS !!!

Forum Admin
Admin

By: SAMAdmin (offline) on Friday, May 29 2015 @ 01:00 AM EDT  
SAMAdmin

Post By: Woodlands Bleu (offline) on Thursday, May 28 2015 @ 06:32 PM PDT

Hi FFF, I did watch this cam regularly and that does look like Nellie. She had found a wonderful mate at the end after all the sadness. That she has three eggs is superb. I guess we need someone to set up the opening on this thread too. I'll post something about that to the admins.

I have been checking regularly and it had not been operational so this is great news. Bev, Michelle loves this nest also as does Darlene, Karen, Mary, JudyB,, jkr, many others. If I left you off forgive me, sick and brain dead.
carolyn

Forum Admin
Admin

By: SAMAdmin (offline) on Friday, May 29 2015 @ 01:02 AM EDT  
SAMAdmin

Post By: FlyForeverFree (offline) on Thursday, May 28 2015 @ 06:39 PM PDT

Quote by: Woodlands Bleu

Hi FFF, I did watch this cam regularly and that does look like Nellie. She had found a wonderful mate at the end after all the sadness. That she has three eggs is superb. I guess we need someone to set up the opening on this thread too. I'll post something about that to the admins.

I have been checking regularly and it had not been operational so this is great news. Bev, Michelle loves this nest also as does Darlene, Karen, Mary,JudyB, jkr and many others.,If i left you off forgive me, sick and brain dead...
carolyn

Hi carolyn Smile. Thank-you so much for getting in contact with the admin's. I just saw this posted on the chat there...

Egg #1 May 12 ...Egg #2 May 15... Egg #3 May 18

Forum Admin
Admin

By: gemini (offline) on Friday, May 29 2015 @ 01:28 AM EDT  
gemini

10:25 pm Just took a quick peek at the cam and the wind is howling! Parent is hunkered down close to her eggs!

10:21 pm

Forum

North Vancouver, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: IrishEyes (offline) on Friday, May 29 2015 @ 11:32 AM EDT  
IrishEyes

Friday.......May 29, 2015

Good Morning everyone.....

8:32am

It is raining ..dreary and Nellie is incubating the eggs

...Helpful Hints ..Be respectful ..Bev.

Forum

Nova Scotia,Canada.

Profile     PM

All times are EST. The time is now 12:15 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate