Forum Index > H.W.F. Community Information > H.W.F. Social Events
 FledgeFest 2015 at Harrison Mills
 |  Printable Version
By: karenbills (offline) on Wednesday, May 20 2015 @ 08:43 PM EDT (Read 17267 times)  
karenbills

FROM DAVID HANCOCK:

FledgeFest 2015 Harrison Mills

The eagles are again into final stages of nestling development. So it's time to consider our annual gathering of eagleholics!! Another FledgeFest is in the offering for our 10th anniversary.

Historically we started FledgeFest related to our estimated date the Sidney chicks were to fledge. Then a few years back Ma & Pa Sidney had a chick get caught in some fish line in the nest. This necessitated that incredible 'rescue' with many different media in attendance. While the rescue went unbelievably smoothly and without a hitch, as predicted the adult eagles, while successfully rearing their 3 young, did start to build another new nest two days later. This new nest of course did not have our cams. So the next year and since we have not had a formal 'FledgeFest'. The last two years we compromised with a wonderful garden party here at our home.

The discussions as to where we should have FledgeFest 2015 again came to the surface. With the Sidney eagles back at their old nest, and in spite of no cams being present, could we again gather somewhere in the Sidney area? We could also again meet here at my place. I then thought that with Betty Anne Falkner of Pretty Estates having been such an incredible sponsor of the eagles around Harrison Hills, with her help every year with the Fraser Valley Bald Eagle Festival, her sponsorship of our Harrison Mills nest cams and her development of the world's finest bald eagle observatory at Pretty Estates, perhaps we should hold FledgeFest 2015 at Pretty Estates in Harrison Mills. It became the unanimous choice. FledgeFest 2015 will be at Pretty Estates on Wednesday, July 22 from 11:00 AM to 4:00 PM. Lunch will be at 1 o'clock at the River's Edge Restaurant patio overlooking the Harrison River. (Directions and Menu Details below) We will be having a lunch and a tour of the site. We might have a second tour of the nearby Chehalis Fish Hatchery.

Perhaps someone can coordinate pickups from Vancouver Island to save the vehicle ferry costs. Of course this will depend on enough mainland volunteers to pick up people coming from Vancouver Island.

We hope to see as many of you as possible.

Cheers to all.

David Hancock

If you plan to attend you must let us know by posting your intention below. We will need to give a final number of attendees to the restaurant about a week prior to FledgeFest. Thanks.

Stay tuned to this forum thread for more details which will appear in this first post here, including the names of all the possible attendees.

Member since 2006.

Forum Admin
Admin

Langley, BC

By: elle (offline) on Thursday, May 21 2015 @ 09:05 PM EDT  
elle

JudyB and Sunny: I have missed the last 2 Fledgefests but hope to be able to attend this year too. It would be lovely to see both of you again as well as many others. We shall see how things work out. Thanks to Karen B for trying to arrange rides for us from the island.

Karen B and David H : Harrison Mills nest at Pretty Estates is a very appropriate and beautiful setting for a Fledgefest. I agree wholeheartedly! Fewer eagles than at FVBEF in November but better weather hopefully Wink

We and the animals are in the same boat. We're one family, really. - Jane Goodall

Member since August 2006

Forum

Victoria, BC, Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: Darlene (offline) on Sunday, May 31 2015 @ 02:22 PM EDT  
Darlene

FledgeFest 2015

Where: Pretty Estates
When: On Wednesday, July 22 from 11:00 AM to 4:00 PM.
Lunch: 1:00 pm on the River's Edge Restaurant patio overlooking the Harrison River.

Directions and Map to Pretty Estates (click map 2x for bigger)
Click on image to download

From Vancouver, drive approximately one hour east on Highway Number 1 (Trans Canada) and take exit 92 (Hwy 11) at Abbotsford to get to Mission. From Mission, drive east on Highway Number 7 for 25 minutes. Turn north onto Morris Valley Road (paved) at the Sasquatch Inn and the Hemlock Recreation Area sign. Follow Morris Valley Road to Pretty Estates.

From points east of Bridal Falls drive west on Highway Number 1 (Trans Canada) past Bridal Falls to Highway 9. Follow Highway 9 north through Agazzi to Highway 7. From Agazzi, drive west on Highway Number 7 to Morris Valley Road. Turn north onto Morris Valley Road (paved) at the Sasquatch Inn and the Hemlock Recreation Area sign. Follow Morris Valley Road to Pretty Estates on the right.

Watch Driver and Putter have their lunch while you eat at the Rivers Edge Restaurant! (click for Menu)

Or enjoy the view instead!

Better yet get to know your fellow eagle lovers!

Here is a list of people who have confirmed they are going to attend FledgeFest:

David Hancock/davidh - Surrey, BC
Mary Scott
Karen Bills/karenbills - Langley, BC

Darlene Lewis/lovethebabies - Langley, BC
Betty Anne Faulkner - Harrison Mills, BC
Diana Seear/Diana - Vancouver, BC
Joan Wenham/friend of Diana - North Vancouver, BC
Jane McLennan/friend of Diana - Vancouver, BC
Marg Cleven/Sunshine Coast - Sechelt, BC

Earl Cleven/Mr Sunshine Coast - Sechelt, BC
Mark Cleven/Son of Sunshine Coast - Delta, BC
Gary Cleven/Son of Sunshine Coast - Vancouver, BC

Lynda Robson/elle - Victoria, BC -

Ian McCrimmon/Mr. elle - Victoria, BC
Marj Vint/marjy2u - Port Coquitlam, BC
Heather Peart/shrub - Pt. Moody, BC

Stuart Peart/Mr Shrub - Pt. Moody, BC
Pat McEachern/PatE - Langley, BC
Linda Putich/LindaP - Langley, BC
Sandra Timmins/stim - Gibsons, BC
David Timmins/Mr stim - Gibsons, BC
Judy Barrows/JudyB - Richmond, Maine
Charlie Ipcar/Mr JudyB - Richmond, Maine
Jean Bobbett/mjb - Langley, BC
Marg Wahl/jiggers - South Surrey, BC
Scott Martin/mmud - Chilliwack, BC
Karen Wheatley/karen6438 - Vancouver, BC
Ed Kingshott/edkeagle - Blaine, Washington
Pat Kingshott/Mrs. edkeagle - Blaine, Washington
Annemie Meyer/Annemie - Vancouver, BC

Stan Taylor/steamer - Vancouver, BC
Yolande Proctor/yojopro - Vancouver, BC
Jeff Proctor/Son of yojopro - Vancouver, BC
Danny Chan - Bellingham, Washington

Daye Buckle/maisy6041 - North Vancouver, BC
Archie Buckle/Mr. maisy6041 - North Vancouver
Linda Lucas - South Surrey, BC
Patti Chabot - South Surrey, BC

Roger Chabot - South Surrey, BC
Ellen Hartlmeier/wildorcaimages - Richmond, BC
Sandy Nelson - White Rock, BC

ETA: Wed. July 15, 2015:

I need to take this opportunity to tell those who are coming to FledgeFest 2015 at Harrison Mills on Wednesday, the 22nd, that Pretty Estates called me (Karen) today. They are going to serve us a lunch buffet for the price of $20 per person, which includes non-alcoholic drinks, tax and gratuity. Now here's the deal. They say they cannot have 40 people paying individually so David Hancock has to put the entire lunch cost on his credit card. The reason I am telling you all this is so that you can come prepared to hand David a $20 bill to reimburse HWF for the cost of your lunch. Some people only use credit cards like I do and carry very little cash. Alcoholic beverages can be obtained separately. On Monday, the 20th, I have to call the restaurant and give them the exact number of attendees for which HWF will be charged.

Thanks......Karen

Darlene, Langley, BC
aka Eaglelover1923
aka lovethebabies

Forum

Langley, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: karenbills (offline) on Tuesday, June 09 2015 @ 05:30 PM EDT  
karenbills

Please add a post here to indicate if you are going to try to attend. We need to give the restaurant at Pretty Estates an estimate of how many are coming.

Hope to see as many of you as possible to celebrate our 10th anniversary at HWF. Also by that time we should know whether we are going to be able to continue the cams for another year. David Hancock will address the subject at the lunch.

Keep checking this thread for updated information. Also after FledgeFest 2015 occurs, this will be the spot to find all the photos from the day.

Member since 2006.

Forum Admin
Admin

Langley, BC

By: Steamer (offline) on Wednesday, June 17 2015 @ 10:41 PM EDT  
Steamer

Annemie and I are going to try to attend. I'll finally be on summer holidays then so it should make for a nice escape out of the city and meet some old and new HWF friends Nodding yes

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: karenbills (offline) on Thursday, June 18 2015 @ 01:35 AM EDT  
karenbills

Thanks, Stan. I have added your names to the above list.

Member since 2006.

Forum Admin
Admin

Langley, BC

By: MaryF (offline) on Thursday, June 18 2015 @ 02:39 PM EDT  
MaryF

Hi Karen---wish I could be there with you and my other new BC friends to see your beautiful part of the world!!! Big hugs

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

By: elle (offline) on Thursday, June 18 2015 @ 02:49 PM EDT  
elle

Come on down Mary Smile The price is right. !

We and the animals are in the same boat. We're one family, really. - Jane Goodall

Member since August 2006

Forum

Victoria, BC, Canada

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 03:01 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate