Forum Index > Other Birds and Wildlife > Bears
 Black Bear Den Cam, Ely, MN - Lily
 |  Printable Version
By: jwnix (offline) on Friday, January 15 2010 @ 12:56 AM EST  
jwnix

Update from Research - Jan 14, 2010
Lily became active today around 2pm. She did her usual routine of checking out the camera, scratching, etc. But she did something we hadn't seen before. She curled into a tight ball and was licking -- perhaps licking her genitals. She later appeared to be licking the bedding...
49 minutes ago

currently she seems to be resting quietly

jwnix
Black Bear Conservation Coalition www.bbcc.org

Forum

Profile     PM

By: terrytvgal (offline) on Friday, January 15 2010 @ 02:48 AM EST  
terrytvgal

I hope to have time to really watch this cam in the next week or so... In the meantime, does anyone know why the usual Wildearth page format is not in use for this cam? It's doesn't even look like it's on a WildEarth page. :dunno:

I came for the eagles, and stayed for the friends I made

Terry, Coquitlam BC

Forum

Coquitlam, BC

Profile     PM

By: eiguoc (offline) on Friday, January 15 2010 @ 11:26 AM EST  
eiguoc

I think it depends which link you watch from I do it from herehttp://www.zaplive.tv/live#" rel="nofollow"> http://www.zaplive.tv/live#
She awoke for a bit,
Click on image to download
played with a leafClick on image to download

Pat=photographer & cat mom
Pardon my shortening memory
Member since Aug 23/06

Forum

Scarborough, Ontario

Profile     PM

By: IrishEyes (offline) on Friday, January 15 2010 @ 12:42 PM EST  
IrishEyes

LIly~~~ HAPPY BIRTHDAY LILY !!!

Here is Lily wakening up and yawning ~~

Have good day everyone .bev .

Helpful Hints Be respectful ..Bev !

Forum

Nova Scotia,Canada.

Profile     PM

By: jwnix (offline) on Saturday, January 16 2010 @ 01:03 PM EST  
jwnix

she's awake and looking around.....12:01

12:10 partially out of den, licking something, ......current view seems to be belly...and maybe back left leg (on the right side of screen)

12:16 she's retreated back into den. fascinating to see HOW she maneuvers in there..... covered with ?sawdust looking material.
did full body shake to get some of it off, it seems?

jwnix
Black Bear Conservation Coalition www.bbcc.org

Forum

Profile     PM

By: IrishEyes (offline) on Saturday, January 16 2010 @ 02:57 PM EST  
IrishEyes

Lily today ~~Awake and licking her pads

Bev .

Forum

Nova Scotia,Canada.

Profile     PM

By: IrishEyes (offline) on Saturday, January 16 2010 @ 02:57 PM EST  
IrishEyes

Lily today ~~Awake and licking her pads

Bev .

Forum

Nova Scotia,Canada.

Profile     PM

By: Anonymous: JudiMN () on Saturday, January 16 2010 @ 03:22 PM EST  
Anonymous: JudiMN

2:16 MN time

Lily's face is right in the camera and she keeps opening her eyes and yawning into it

she looks pretty alert right now. I hope we find out if she miscarried on Wednesday or not

2:18 big stretch so we can see her claws. sorry I'm at work, can't screencap

edited to add: I posted what I did based on speculation here and on facebook wondering whether Lily possibly gave birth to a stillborn cub on wednesday. Noone knows but there is no sound of a baby cub in the den with her right now.

This was an update from one of the researchers on her facebook site yesterday (mods, feel free to delete if you don't want this here)

Watching Lily in her den is as exciting and new to us researchers as to anyone else. We have many questions and are waiting for answers.

On Monday, I visited her den to adjust the camera. She came out and stood facing away from me a foot away. Her genitals were more swollen than Iíve ever seen on any bearóa larger area more swollen than any female in estrus. Was she about to give birth? Had she produced a stillborn cub? If the latter, why didnít anyone see her eat it? I saw nothing in the den.

On Wednesday afternoon, a viewer saw her bury something in the bedding and thought it was a cub. Was the viewer right? Why didnít anyone else report it?

On Thursday morning, she curled up and spent over 20 minutes licking her genital area and the bedding. Had her water broke? At 3, Lily is at the minimum for reproduction, so there is a question whether she can complete her pregnancy. She was plenty heavy in fall, but a nagging thought is that she may have used up too much energy after fishermen unknowingly disturbed her from this den. Lily temporarily moved 2 miles away and tried unsuccessfully to dig 3 dens in soil that was too rocky. After a few days, she lay down and idly gnawed at some branches. Then she seemed to make a decision. She got up and returned to the present den and raked bedding into it for the winter.

Females that weigh over 175 pounds in fall have a good chance of producing cubs. 10 of 14 females of that weight gave birth at age 3 like we hope Lily does. Lily was well over 200 before her unsuccessful den-making foray. We will all be relieved when she gives birth and we can begin watching her care for them at each stage of development. óLynn Rogers, Ph.D.

All times are EST. The time is now 11:09 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate