Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Raptor Cams - Other than Eagles.
 Halifax, NS - 2010 and 2011 - Osprey Cam
 |  Printable Version
By: soph9 (offline) on Saturday, January 09 2010 @ 02:14 AM EST (Read 154499 times)  
soph9

Osprey Cam –Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

Direct link to Media Player HERE

2010 Nesting Season
Ethel and Oscar returned to their nest in the Halifax Regional Municipality the first week of April. They quickly started building up their nest; it is considerably bigger this year.

Ethel laid two eggs . ? sec. batch.. The first batch could have had many things happen to them, such as being stolen or eaten.
Only one chick hatched this year, July 4... Since that single chick is getting a lot of food, it is big for its age. The chick was named Skylar..He fledged August 24 and Migrated Sept.23, 2010

Nova Scotia Power relocated Ethel and Oscar's nest from a utility pole in 2001, after it caught fire. The pair have returned each year and successfully hatched chicks. In 2009, their chicks were killed by a Great Horned Owl just before they fledged.

This underscores the many challenges osprey face in raising their young. The survival rate for chicks is about 50 percent for their first year of life.

Note: Nova Scotia is in the Atlantic time zone, which is GMT/UTC - 4h during Standard Time and GMT/UTC - 3h during Daylight Saving Time

Halifax, Nova Scotia Weather Report

2011 nesting season - cam turned on May 9 - link

Time Line for 2011
Three eggs were already in the nest when the cam came on line May 9, 2011
First egg hatched June 10, 2011.. later named Hunter
Second egg hatched June 12, 2011..later named Fisher
Third egg hatched June 14, 2011... This Chick died on June 17, 2011.

Hunter had successful first fledge on August 5, 2011, but sadly died around August 9; her body was found near the nest August 11 and it was reported that she might have fallen from the nest; there were bad storms in the area at the time she likely disappeared.

PhoneReport from Terry White DNR on Hunter .. Sept 20, 2011.
Cause of death was electrocution:cry1:from flying into a power line

Fisher had successful first fledge on August 7, 2011... 56 days old....
Fisher migrated Sept.17, 2011.

Mom was last seen on the nest Aug.24, 2011..we assume she started her migration.

Dad was last seen on the nest Sept. 16, 2011.

Fisher was last seen on the nest Sep.17, 2011

Forum

Maple Ridge, BC
Canada

Profile Email Website PM

By: Anonymous: Junie () on Friday, May 07 2010 @ 12:13 PM EDT  
Anonymous: Junie

Ethel is incubating I think - the cam is a washout - windy day
Click on image to download

By: Anonymous: Junie () on Monday, May 10 2010 @ 05:44 PM EDT  

I emailed to tell the website about the cam, I got a reply today. the cam is clearer now.
Ethel incubating...Wink
I'll check out the cam again tomorrow - see if its OK.

By: Anonymous: Junie () on Tuesday, May 11 2010 @ 08:07 AM EDT  

Oscar and stick drop in, the look on Ethels' face Wub
Oscar tried to move the darn stick Wub
both ospreys left - Ethel's back, fidgets with darn stick, digs nest bowl, and settles down to incubate. (can't see # of eggs)

By: Anonymous: Junie () on Thursday, May 13 2010 @ 10:39 AM EDT  

Ethel and Oscar had to deal wiith intruder overhead, like most osprey nests, always challenges'

By: Anonymous: Junie () on Saturday, May 15 2010 @ 11:09 AM EDT  

Ethel & Oscar still adding new nest materials, scrapping out nest bowl etc. I really don't know - if she's laid an egg Chin
Oscar drops in and mates twice with her. Interesting red nest material, adds colour to the decor.

By: jazzel26 (offline) on Thursday, July 01 2010 @ 01:07 PM EDT  
jazzel26

The cam has been down more than up this season. I contacted the site for an update, I haven't had time to post the reply until now. This is the reply I received on 6/21.

"We are so glad you have been following the ospreys! We are very excited to give viewers a chance to watch them again.

There are two eggs in the nest right now, usually kept company by Oscar. We think that this is the second batch of eggs that Oscar and Ethel have had, the first batch could have had many things happen to them, such as being stolen or eaten. The first time we spotted this second batch was on June 10th, but we think they have been there longer. Egg laying begins at the end of April and continues into mid-May with incubation taking 34 to 40 days.

We do not have the exact dates that the birds returned from migration, however they usually arrive here at the end of March, and in early to mid-April."

The cam is back. There are still two eggs, two adults taking care of each other, and their eggs. This is a second clutch (reported buy the cam site), first observed on 6/10. This would mean the eggs are a minimum of 21 days today, hopefully the eggs were laid earlier than noticed by the site staff. At best, this would be a very late fledge, and migration for all!!!:dunno:

Also, very interesting!!! The site report states "There are two eggs in the nest right now, usually kept company by "Oscar"....Woods Hole anyone? I need to watch, now that the cam is back, and think about this Puzzled

Pics from yesterday.

JAZZELwave

Forum

Falmouth MA

Profile Email Website PM

By: jazzel26 (offline) on Sunday, July 04 2010 @ 02:14 PM EDT  
jazzel26

HATCH TODAYGrin

JAZZELwave

Forum

Falmouth MA

Profile Email Website PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 11:50 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate