Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Raptor Cams - Other than Eagles.
 Osprey Cam 2010 (Puleston) - Long Island, NY
 |  Printable Version
By: soph9 (offline) on Saturday, January 09 2010 @ 02:03 AM EST (Read 2744 times)  
soph9

Puleston Osprey Cam Home Page

Look to the left of the home page and you will see the cam link....this cam has audio too!

This screenshot was taken April 28--

(click thumbnail)

Forum

Maple Ridge, BC
Canada

Profile Email Website PM

By: soph9 (offline) on Sunday, March 28 2010 @ 07:26 AM EDT  
soph9

Seems like last season was indeed the last!

We are pleased to have been successful pioneers, and recognize that the project cannot continue indefinitely. At its heart the Osprey Cam is a computer project, and computer technology typically gets old in a span of about 18 months. Our camera site, and the group of dedicated volunteers that maintain it, has had remarkable staying power. In 2008, however, the system was damaged by a lightning strike early in the nesting season. Not wanting to disturb the birds during the breeding period, the camera was not removed for repairs until late in the summer. With a new camera in place, further damage to the system was found during the 2009 season, the most serious being a fault in the underground cable from the nest to the barn.

Now, having assessed the state of our ageing equipment and the increasing likelihood of further failures, the committee has decided that the season just completed has been the last for the Osprey Cam. We will continue to maintain the website, where visitors can interact via the Message Board, view the observation data and highlight clips from past seasons, and link to other wildlife viewing sites.

After seven eventful seasons in which observers from more than a dozen countries, including many school classrooms, have shared their enthusiasm and interest for these wonderful birds we feel that the project has succeeded in its mission, not just for Long Island ospreys, but for ospreys around the world. It has truly been a fitting memorial to Dennis.

—Tom Ludlam, Rick Mohlmann, David Shore, Tom Throwe
For the Dennis Puleston Osprey Cam Committee

Forum

Maple Ridge, BC
Canada

Profile Email Website PM

By: Anonymous: CAL04 () on Sunday, March 28 2010 @ 07:39 AM EDT  
Anonymous: CAL04

Sorry to hear it, Soph,

There are still some very good links on this site; we can still learn here. Nice to have the archive too.

By: soph9 (offline) on Sunday, March 28 2010 @ 09:03 AM EDT  
soph9

it is sad I am from Long IslandRoll eyes

Forum

Maple Ridge, BC
Canada

Profile Email Website PM

By: Anonymous: CAL04 () on Monday, March 29 2010 @ 06:10 AM EDT  
Anonymous: CAL04

Quote by: soph9

it is sad I am from Long IslandRoll eyes

I remembered that you had once mentioned that you were from Long Island, Soph. Thought about you. Really hope that you plan on keeping this Puleston link here even if the cam is not operating.

OT: Where I'm from in Montana, beavers have been felling trees. They took down several trees right by my favorite Osprey nest (report from my brother). Needless to say, a big tree fell on the nest tree and crashed the nest to the ground. That Osprey nest had been close to my mother's home for as long as I can remember. It's no more. Hopefully they will find another good place to build when they come home this year.

All times are EST. The time is now 01:20 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate