Forum Index > Raptors Other than Eagles > Osprey
 New England 2015 Osprey Cams
 |  Printable Version
By: JudyB (offline) on Wednesday, April 01 2015 @ 09:09 PM EDT (Read 3979 times)  
JudyB

There are a number of osprey nests in New England that I follow, most (though not all) of which have cams - and as there have only been a couple of other people posting recently, I'm going to start with one thread for all of them, and plan to split off any cam threads that become active.

Many of these have more coverage on the Maine-based Window-on-Wildlife forum where I am also active, and I encourage those interested in more details to go there and scroll down to the North American Osprey Cam area.

Nests included here - each of which will have its own opening post - are

Maine - Taste of Maine Restaurant osprey cam, Woolwich, Maine (may not be streaming in 2015 - technical issues)
Maine - Sasanoa River ospreys, Arrowsic, Maine (no cam, but these are my other "local" pair)
Maine - Hog Island osprey cam, Bremen, Maine (wonderful cam!)
New Hampshire - Public Service of New Hampshire osprey cam, Ayers Island, New Hampshire
Connecticut - CT Audubon Coastal Center, Milford, Connecticut
Massachusetts - Cox Reservation osprey cam Essex, Massachusetts
Massachusetts - Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute osprey cam, Woods Hole, Massachusetts

and I'm adding a couple of additional reserved posts in case we discover more cams

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Wednesday, April 01 2015 @ 09:10 PM EDT  
JudyB

Taste of Maine Restaurant Osprey Cam
Woolwich, Maine

Unfortunately there will probably not be a cam this year - the folks at Taste of Maine replaced the cam last year, and have not been able to get it to stream. The company that provided the cam apparently missed the fact that they were planning to stream to the web, so recommended a cam that has lots of good features - but streaming is not one of them.

One can see the cam on a monitor in the lobby of the restaurant, and I do try to stop by for lunch once a week to get an update and some pictures from the monitor.

The folks at the restaurant do post updates on their facebook page from time to time - but unlike the sponsors of many of our cams - they are primarily a (great) restaurant - not a wildlife organization. Here's the link - http://www.facebook.com/TasteofMaineRes ... rn?fref=ts

2015 Nesting Season

• Adults Back - around April 19
  • Eggs Laid - April 23, April 26, about 4 pm (I was there!), and about April 29
  • Eggs Hatched - June 2 (40 days), June 2 (37 days), June 4 (36 days)

Photo of the nest at the edge of the parking lot

Click on image to download

Photos from June 24, 2015, when chicks were about 3 weeks old - one from the monitor, and the other from the ground - I think the 3rd chick is in back of the two bigger ones in the second photo - didn't get one with all three heads visible.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Wednesday, April 01 2015 @ 09:11 PM EDT  
JudyB

Sasanoa River osprey
Arrowsic, Maine

When I set up this thread, I was planning to report on a local nest on a platform on the edge of the Sasanoa River, about 1 half mile from the nest at the Taste of Maine - I've been viewing the nest (and an eagle nest that's also in the area) for several years from a high bridge over the river. To my surprise, a friend told us there was a second pair in the area - nesting on top of the bridge! So I will be providing occasional updates on both the Sasanoa River osprey - and the new Sasanoa Bridge pair.

I will note that dates are approximate - I try to visit once a week, or a bit more near hatching and fledge time - but can't always get down. And as we can't see into the nest, I assume incubation if an adult appears to be incubating, and assume that someone has hatched if they appear to be feeding - but we all know that looks can be deceiving. Smile

I haven't had time to set up pages for 2015 on my website - but updates will eventually be here - http://www.judybmaine.com/wildlife.htm

2015 Nesting Season - Sasanoa River Osprey

• Adults Back - both by April 12
  • First Egg Laid - after April 19 and before April 26
  • Hatch - maybe by May 30 (Mom eating on nest), definitely by June 4 (reaching into nest with food)

2015 Nesting Season - Sasanoa Bridge Osprey

• Adults Back - (need to check when we first saw them)
  • First Egg Laid - after May 10 and before May 17
  • Hatch - feeding behavior observed June 24

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Wednesday, April 01 2015 @ 09:11 PM EDT  
JudyB

Public Service of New Hampshire/Eversource Energy Osprey Cam
Ayers Island, New Hampshire

No cam this year - it needed upgrades, and a decision was made to turn it off instead (also a new company - PSNH was bought out by Eversource Energy)

Two adults were seen by someone at the plant, though he didn't know if it was the resident pair.

Iain MacLeod of the Squam Lakes Natural Science Center visited the nest on May 19 to take part in the banding and tagging of the resident male, who was named Gundersen, after a longtime PSNH employee who watched over the osprey; Iain reported that the same banded female was there this year, and the pair had 3 eggs.

Unfortunately, none hatched. We've learned that the nest was very shallow with minimal nesting material, and there were three days of cold, heavy rain - which probably overwhelmed her ability to keep them warm.

When Gunderson was banded, it was thought he might be fairly young - so perhaps next year they'll do better in the nest building department, and have better luck.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Wednesday, April 01 2015 @ 09:12 PM EDT  
JudyB

Reserved

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Wednesday, April 01 2015 @ 09:16 PM EDT  
JudyB

Reserved

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Wednesday, April 01 2015 @ 09:17 PM EDT  
JudyB

Reserved

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Wednesday, April 01 2015 @ 09:18 PM EDT  
JudyB

Reserved

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

All times are EST. The time is now 04:05 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate