Forum Index > Raptors Other than Eagles > Osprey
 Other Osprey Nests & News
 |  Printable Version
By: soph9 (offline) on Saturday, January 09 2010 @ 01:17 AM EST (Read 75487 times)  
soph9

This is a thread for any news about Osprey nests and interesting information you want to share. If you find a nest and think there should be a discussion thread please feel free to PM any Moderator. Have fun!:grin:.

Forum

Maple Ridge, BC
Canada

Profile Email Website PM

By: jazzel26 (offline) on Monday, January 25 2010 @ 02:54 PM EST  
jazzel26

The Wilmington, NC (Shandy Point) Osprey web cam nest has a Great-horned Owl nesting. She has an egg!!

I emailed Rob Bierregaard about the GHO on the Osprey nest. I asked him if there would be a nasty fight when the Ospreys return, or will they look for a new nest site. His reply.

"Pretty safe bet that they'll look for a new location. NOBODY messes with Great-horned Owls."

Links:
Osprey Cam
http://home.roadrunner.com/~ospreynest/autoupdate.htm

Home Page
http://home.roadrunner.com/~ospreynest/

JAZZELwave

Forum

Falmouth MA

Profile Email Website PM

By: soph9 (offline) on Monday, January 25 2010 @ 03:21 PM EST  
soph9

jazzel you think we should have a thread for this cam in the owl area or will you be posting updates here?

Forum

Maple Ridge, BC
Canada

Profile Email Website PM

By: jazzel26 (offline) on Monday, January 25 2010 @ 03:51 PM EST  
jazzel26

Quote by: soph9

jazzel you think we should have a thread for this cam in the owl area or will you be posting updates here?

Hi Sophwave

That's your call, but from Rob's reply...I guess it should be in the owl area. I'll be watching the cam for the ospreys (my main interest is Osprey). The ospreys returned to the nest Feb. 28 last season. I'll post any osprey sightings here. This is a sad situation for both the ospreys and the GHO. As you know this is not an ideal nest (to open) for the owls, and now a successful breeding osprey pair will be very stressed.

Humans don't leave much room for the animals, and this is the result, nature out of balance.NO

JAZZEL

Forum

Falmouth MA

Profile Email Website PM

By: jazzel26 (offline) on Sunday, February 14 2010 @ 11:55 AM EST  
jazzel26

Two on the nest at Hilton Head, and working on repairsGrin

JAZZELwave

Forum

Falmouth MA

Profile Email Website PM

By: soph9 (offline) on Sunday, February 14 2010 @ 12:10 PM EST  
soph9

here you go Jazzel....new thread for the Hilton head cam...

forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=13850

Forum

Maple Ridge, BC
Canada

Profile Email Website PM

By: jazzel26 (offline) on Sunday, February 14 2010 @ 12:12 PM EST  
jazzel26

Sophwave Thanks

JAZZELGrin

Forum

Falmouth MA

Profile Email Website PM

By: jazzel26 (offline) on Wednesday, February 17 2010 @ 04:30 PM EST  
jazzel26

I just received this email from RobGrin

"Greetings,
I'm following in the wing tracks of our Ospreys down to the Dominican Republic, where I'll spend some time with Jorge Brocca, the Prez of the Hispaniola Ornithological Society, and our colleague on our "Don't shoot Ospreys, they don't eat chickens" campaign. Also, rather amazingly, I'm going to get Meadow's transmitter back! A week ago I got an email from someone who has had the transmitter for a year. Of course, they claim they found the bird dead, which is probably true. What's missing from the story is that there was probably smoke rising from the barrel of their rifle when they "found" the bird dead on the ground. So why wait a year to report it? Seems that they didn't understand what "REWARD" means (it's printed on the transmitter). Someone translated and they got in touch.
Seems that the Venezuelan National Guard has decided to hand over the American spy device, so we should be getting that one back soon. Isabel's transmitter is still transmitting, but has refused to turn up despite two trips to the pasture where it's signalling away. I think we'll find that one eventually. Along with Meadow's, Hix's, Katy's, and Bea's, we may have an amazing 5 PTTs to redeploy this summer. That's a pretty significant ($20,000) windfall. Yahoo.
Our birds are pretty boring at the moment, but at this time of year, boring is good. I updated all the maps (Buck, Penelope, Ozzie, Hudson, Mr. Hannah) for their January locations. The adults should be moving north sometime this month. Penelope is due for her first return, but the youngsters don't seem to get moving until later in the spring. Buck will be down there for another year.

Stay warm."

--
Rob Bierregaard
Biology Dept.
UNC-Charlotte
9201 University City Blvd.
Charlotte NC 28223

JAZZELwave

Forum

Falmouth MA

Profile Email Website PM

All times are EST. The time is now 03:23 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate