Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Raptor Cams - Other than Eagles.
 Dunedin, FL - Osprey Cam
 |  Printable Version
By: soph9 (offline) on Saturday, January 09 2010 @ 12:46 AM EST (Read 39962 times)  
soph9

Welcome to the Dunedin Osprey Cam at St. Andrews Links in Dunedin, Florida! (thanks to JAZZEL for finding this cam!)

Click on image to download

The nesting pair of osprey at St. Andrews Links have been seen on a regular basis. The pair has been bringing in nesting materials and the size of the nest has increased in the last week. The osprey are visible in the nest daily at varying times. Early in the morning is a good time to check. The nest at St. Andrews links is a very early nest. One chick began fledging by March 23rd of last year while many other nests in the county were still incubating. In Pinellas County there are two distinct waves of nesting time frames. One of the goals of Osprey Watch is to determine the percentage of the population which nests early, like St.Andrews Links, and what percentage of the population returns to their nest in late January and begins pair bonding, mating and incubation in February and March.

CAM LINK HERE

2009-2010 Summary

• eggs laid: December 30; maybe January 2; maybe January 5
  • eggs hatched: Feb 6, 5:18 pm (38 days); Feb 8, seen 12:24 pm (37 days); Feb 10, seen 10:02 am (36 days)

Forum

Maple Ridge, BC
Canada

Profile Email Website PM

By: soph9 (offline) on Monday, February 01 2010 @ 10:22 AM EST  
soph9

looks like a nasty day at this nest....very windy and seems like it is pouring out....mom is hunkering down! Click on image to download

Forum

Maple Ridge, BC
Canada

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Wednesday, February 03 2010 @ 02:43 PM EST  
JudyB

Thanks for the thread for this nest, soph - and thanks for discovering the nest, Jazzel!

Must say after watching the eagles at Blackwater, Norfolk and Shepherdstown - it's nice to see a nest without snow!

The first egg was laid December 30. They've announced that it's day 36, so I guess they count the day it was laid. I've never done that (guess I should ask someone if there is a rule) so I was thinking it's day 35.

Either way, osprey eggs generally take 35-40 days to hatch, so we are entering the "keep an eye out for a little chick" stage! Grin As a reminder to those who watch eagles more than osprey - osprey chicks are sort of nest-colored with stripes on their back that look a lot like sticks - protective covering for the more exposed nests, I'd guess. They are very hard to see with a refresh cam - but we should have a good view when the first little head pops up!

We think there are (at least) three eggs, though the nest is built up enough that it's hard to tell. It's been my experience that the first egg is likely to take 38-40 days to hatch, the middle one(s) 36-39, and the last 35-36 days. But there are always exceptions. Wink

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: soph9 (offline) on Thursday, February 04 2010 @ 09:12 PM EST  
soph9

Thank Youfor the awsome info JudyBLeft thumb up

Forum

Maple Ridge, BC
Canada

Profile Email Website PM

By: jazzel26 (offline) on Sunday, February 07 2010 @ 10:19 AM EST  
jazzel26

This chic hatched at 5:18 yesterday, 02/06/10. It looks strong, but so far there has been no fish delivery!

JAZZEL

Forum

Falmouth MA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Sunday, February 07 2010 @ 12:50 PM EST  
JudyB

12:49 pm eastern time
I just saw a short feeding - little chick looked strong and active - and very eager to get some fish! Grin

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: jazzel26 (offline) on Sunday, February 07 2010 @ 01:07 PM EST  
jazzel26

Judy thanks!!! I was just coming over here to post. Ploughboy, on BCAW just posted this You Tube video, I'm sure it's the same feeding, here's the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bafpiur8CY8" rel="nofollow"><br /> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bafpiur8CY8

I'm going shopping nowgiggle

JAZZELWink

Forum

Falmouth MA

Profile Email Website PM

By: soph9 (offline) on Monday, February 08 2010 @ 11:07 AM EST  
soph9

DBS so far today.....Puzzled

Forum

Maple Ridge, BC
Canada

Profile Email Website PM

All times are EST. The time is now 05:54 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate